HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Today, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Why are people comparing Florida to New York?

New Yorks governor had a policy that killed over 5,000 elderly people, then hid it from the public. No one in the media is interested in this story.

New York has more cases AND deaths per capita than Florida.

Currently, New York is BARELY doing better in cases for the last month and in deaths.

Any one saying Florida did sooo bad is just saying that because of Politics. Period.
Florida had, what, twice less testing than NY? Why is that? And most people don't believe DeSantis.

Old Posted Today, 4:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Florida had, what, twice less testing than NY? Why is that? And most people don't believe DeSantis.
Ok, well deaths don't lie as well, do they?

Also, they don't believe him why again?

And people believe NY's governor?! LOL

Old Posted Today, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Ok, well deaths don't lie as well, do they?

Also, they don't believe him why again?

And people believe NY's governor?! LOL
Because he lost his shit publicly when the media hounded him about not locking down. And then maybe a week later Florida's shitty numbers dropped like a rock.
It's suspicious as hell.

As already pointed out, you can "Fudge " the numbers by calling it something else.
And why did NY and California double the testing of Texas and Florida?

Old Posted Today, 4:43 AM

So this is very interesting - Google has walked back a bit on forcing people back into the office.....

https://patch.com/california/paloalt...k-change-plans

As a permanent remote work advocate, I consider this a win for my side....

The tug of war continues....

Old Posted Today, 6:01 AM

Quote:
I think because California was one of the first states to get hit and then New York was hit hard. Texas and Florida were spared until the summer with a false sense of security leading up to it. I was in California last spring when covid was beginning to be taken seriously in the US and there was panic already and same with New York while here, it was business as usual with few cases.

Old Posted Today, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
So this is very interesting - Google has walked back a bit on forcing people back into the office.....

Once again: Give it a year. I predict not only will companies find more and more reasons to ask employees to come to the office for a day or a week, but the more ambitious employees will be coming in more and more on their own over time, finding it career-enhancing.

Old Posted Today, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I think because California was one of the first states to get hit and then New York was hit hard. Texas and Florida were spared until the summer with a false sense of security leading up to it. I was in California last spring when covid was beginning to be taken seriously in the US and there was panic already and same with New York while here, it was business as usual with few cases.
Politics (can we say it here?). A year ago, if you can recall, Trump was opposed to testing because finding more cases made him look bad. So of course, testing became a talisman of "blueness" and states like CA earned their blue cred by ramping it up fast and extensively. States where their own governments were more under the sway of the T-man were less interested in it (even covertly opposed to it). Now the politics seems to have been bleached out of testing in favor of mask and vaccine politics.

Old Posted Today, 2:39 PM
The City

At this point at outdoor soccer games, etc we are at a middle point where there is a hodgepodge of people either wearing masks or not wearing masks.

Being 100% focused on science and reason, I now stopped wearing masks completely outdoors, partly because I like breathing. Plus, unlike all of those WFH snowflakes I literally wear a mask ALL DAY EVERY DAY at work and have been doing it for well over a year, so it lost all of its novelty ages ago. It’s stifling!

Probably over the next few months people will stop wearing their masks outdoors and the only people left still doing so will be those germaphobe types or those weirdos akin to those hermit characters who own 9 cats and yell at people who walk by their house

Old Posted Today, 2:48 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post

This is very short sighted. All that needs to happen is more time, when the pandemic fears are mostly behind us and the labor market swings back into employer’s favor. Then the WFH snowflakes will be fucked.

I think that WFH is self-centered and count me in 100% on the side of you are at your employer’s pleasure, and if they want you to be somewhere you need to be there if you want to keep collecting a paycheck.. I see no reason those dynamics will change, except in a few people’s wet dreams.

Old Posted Today, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
There’s also a question of who is being tested and when.

If NYC was, as a hypothetical, testing all city workers every day or every other day, then that’s a huge volume of essentially useless testing.

If another jurisdiction has free testing widely available, but people are using it in a targeted way (like when they suspect they might have been exposed or feel symptoms), then you may have fewer tests but still capture the cases.

Then if you’re like England until recently and making people pay £80 for a rapid test or £200 for a PCR test, then no one is going to get a test unless their employer is paying for it.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Today, 3:35 PM
The Supreme Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Once again: Give it a year. I predict not only will companies find more and more reasons to ask employees to come to the office for a day or a week, but the more ambitious employees will be coming in more and more on their own over time, finding it career-enhancing.
There has got to be cost savings from not having employees coming into work, with an extreme example of one of these placing going fully online. Maybe in terms of insurance or utilities, with the main one being building leases. On the other end I think it can contribute to employee savings with transportation, but the people with kids have a different situation.

Old Posted Today, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Because he lost his shit publicly when the media hounded him about not locking down. And then maybe a week later Florida's shitty numbers dropped like a rock.
It's suspicious as hell.

As already pointed out, you can "Fudge " the numbers by calling it something else.
I don't think Florida is deliberately suppressing COVID numbers. New York just tests a LOT. New York is far above the national average, with the fourth highest testing rate in the country. There have been about 2.7 tests administered for every resident of New York, 1.5 for every California, and 1.3 for every Floridian. And by testing so much, New York just understands outbreaks and spread way better than Florida does.

Another way to look at it: Florida has a similarly sized population to New York (state), but New York is currently administering about 200k tests/day versus Florida's roughly 60k/day. By having a much more robust testing apparatus, New York will probably detect outbreaks at an earlier stage than Florida.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions