HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Florida has to have had one of the worst performances on COVID. Over half of all COVID deaths to date in NY State occurred before June 1, 2020. Over 95% of Florida's COVID deaths occurred after June 1, 2020.
You’re only focusing on one aspect. Floridians also had the most normal lives during the pandemic.

Places that had strict lockdown measures for a year or more are now locking down again, because their populations don’t have immunity. Look at Germany for fuck’s sake. It seems everyone is going to get Covid eventually, so you might as well get it over with.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I can just about see people in Chicago wearing cloth masks in the winter just to keep their faces from freezing, especially if they’re walking from Ogilvie to the Loop or something. But it’s not that cold yet.
I just ran out to drop some cards in a mailbox and I thought "damn, it's cold. I wish I had a mask on." - it's 36 degrees. Not that cold! I must be getting soft. Either that or I need to put socks on. Bare ankles ain't gonna cut it anymore.

Chicago's numbers are going up, but we are still going out. Movie & dinner tonight. Lunch tomorrow with friends, then 7 guests over after. Hosting 3 people for Thanksgiving, concert at the Aragon next Friday, entertaining 5 people next Saturday. Work travel is back for husband. He was in LA & NY in October. Next week he is in NY, week after LA, then NY after that.

Scheduled for booster next Saturday.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 4:48 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
I just ran out to drop some cards in a mailbox and I thought "damn, it's cold. I wish I had a mask on." - it's 36 degrees. Not that cold! I must be getting soft.
36 in late fall always feels like an arctic blast.

36 in late winter feels like beach weather.

gotta give the blood some time to thicken up.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 19, 2021 at 5:41 PM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 5:05 PM
The City

Quote:
You’re only focusing on one aspect. Floridians also had the most normal lives during the pandemic.

Places that had strict lockdown measures for a year or more are now locking down again, because their populations don’t have immunity. Look at Germany for fuck’s sake. It seems everyone is going to get Covid eventually, so you might as well get it over with.
Perspective.

Some got it, some don’t.

I found a new safe space—car dealerships. Almost nobody here is wearing a mask. But oh noes, we’re all gonna die now!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 5:15 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
I'm still shocked how many people in Chicago wear a mask while walking outside on the sidewalk. I also notice in Chicago it's very neighborhood by neighborhood the mask regulations - went to dinner in the West Loop on Tuesday and was asked to put my mask on as soon as I entered restaurant. Went to one of my go to restaurants in Bridgeport yesterday for lunch and I ordered there without a mask no problem, half the workers didn't even wear a mask.
The only place I see masks consistently worn outdoors is in Flushing and other Asian/Chinese communities. The Chinese are a bunch of hypochondriacs. Meanwhile, I went up to Catskill to visit the Thomas Cole Historic Site, and the workers didn't even wear masks at the diner. I had a lovely and shockingly inexpensive meal there.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 5:22 PM

^ I think it’s partly ingrained and partly a sort of superiority complex among Asians. You see the same thing here. They are more likely to wear masks because they think they should show that us Asians are more conscientious than you Westerners.

Quote:
I just ran out to drop some cards in a mailbox and I thought "damn, it's cold. I wish I had a mask on." - it's 36 degrees. Not that cold! I must be getting soft. Either that or I need to put socks on. Bare ankles ain't gonna cut it anymore.

Chicago's numbers are going up, but we are still going out. Movie & dinner tonight. Lunch tomorrow with friends, then 7 guests over after. Hosting 3 people for Thanksgiving, concert at the Aragon next Friday, entertaining 5 people next Saturday. Work travel is back for husband. He was in LA & NY in October. Next week he is in NY, week after LA, then NY after that.

Scheduled for booster next Saturday.
You’re vaccinated and you’re going to have a booster. You shouldn’t care about case numbers.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 5:35 PM

^^ Well I care about numbers because I would rather not get Covid and the more one is around people that have it, the (slightly) greater chance one has to get it. I have made it this long without it. I don't want to get it and then have to quarantine and have it impact what I can do.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 5:38 PM
The City

^ Don’t paint all Asians that way

I was in the Sikh temple in Oak Creek, WI about 2 months ago and……..no masks whatsoever. And it is always a very busy place.

Surprise surprise, nobody is dying! Most of the hardcore maskers live in a bubble and don’t realize that most people are living normally everywhere and are doing just fine (as long as vaccine penetration is good). Some of you people really need to get out of San Francisco, NY, etc to realize this

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 5:40 PM
The City

Quote:
^^ Well I care about numbers because I would rather not get Covid and the more one is around people that have it, the (slightly) greater chance one has to get it. I have made it this long without it. I don't want to get it and then have to quarantine and have it impact what I can do.
There’s a place for unrealistic people like you. It’s called your basement

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 5:46 PM
The City

Quote:
Naperville mayor calls for end to mask mandate in Illinois
November 18, 2021 11:12PM

NAPERVILLE, Ill. - Naperville’s mayor is calling for the removal of the mask mandate in Illinois.

In a recent Facebook post, Mayor Steve Chirico highlighted the fact that Illinois’ COVID transmission rate is similar to surrounding states without masks mandates in place.
https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/na...te-in-illinois

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
And this is why you and 10023 are considered jerks. You literally know nothing about me, make huge assumptions about my life, and clearly did not read what I wrote about what I am doing RIGHT NOW, which includes going to restaurants (oh, and sometimes bars), hosting gatherings, going to concerts, etc. Scary for a doctor to just rush to judgment.

So, "doctor," want some more background? I have been on 19 planes since the start of the pandemic, traveling to Europe and parts East and West in the US. I have been to theater in NY, concerts in Chicago, restaurants throughout the US and Europe. I still ride the CTA Red Line, go into my office 2-3 times a week, and yesterday was in a room with 40 coworkers packing toiletry kits for needy folk. I will be on a plane in 2 weeks for London, where I will also be at a concert. Hosting a large Xmas party in 4 weeks.

I also wear masks when mandated and/or when I think appropriate. I canceled Thanksgiving and Xmas plans last year when the numbers were shooting up. Good thing on Xmas especially as the people who were going to join us all ended up with covid. I take appropriate measures but am hardly on lockdown. We have passed on events where we questioned safety.

It is called mitigating risk. For everyone it is different. For Pedestrian he is taking much more stringent action then others. Fine, good for him. Not sure why you need to trash him to feel superior. I wager I have done more things than your suburban ass.

I am at a loss to understand why you and your ilk are so butt hurt about taking what are now small measures to protect yourself, the people around you, and society at large.

I joke about it being "cold" and wanting a mask outside, and like clockwork you and 10023 jump on.

So screw you and your "basement" line.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 6:48 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:

untrue.

only 1 in 8 have been affected by covid in the usa to date.

for comparison, the final spanish flu total affected was 1 in 4.

that is a far cry from everyone.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 7:08 PM

Quote:
That seems to be your prescription for everyone who has a different threshold for simple uses of PPE or other protective measures they don't mind than you have.

But everyone needs to recognize that your approach is very much beyond the bounds of the medical profession consensus. You are the outlier. It's one thing if you simply advocated less stringent public health measures because of the economic impacts or social disruptions for example, but you go well beyond that by mocking people simply doing what the CDC and other infectious disease experts recommend. You seem to have an emotional need for self-justification.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 8:18 PM
The City

Germaphobes all start sounding like broken records after a while

But yes, keep trying to “avoid” Covid

That’s like a grain of sand, within a bucket of sand which has had water dumped into it, saying “I hope I don’t get wet!”

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 10:39 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Germaphobes all start sounding like broken records after a while

But yes, keep trying to “avoid” Covid

That’s like a grain of sand, within a bucket of sand which has had water dumped into it, saying “I hope I don’t get wet!”
This is silly. Most people I know haven't gotten COVID. I haven't had it. Why shouldn't people try to avoid it? Given that the Delta variant is associated with a quadrupled chance of stillbirth, per the CDC, I'm certainly trying pretty hard not to get it (including weekly surveillance tests... no fun!).

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
This is silly. Most people I know haven't gotten COVID. I haven't had it. Why shouldn't people try to avoid it?
Same. I only know a few people who've gotten it, and I haven't gotten it either. At this point in time, you've got to be a dumbass to be catching COVID now, with vaccines available and all.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 20, 2021, 12:38 AM
The City

^ Who said that you can’t catch Covid when vaccinated? Point being, who cares at that point?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2021, 7:18 AM

Quote:
The problem is the stupidity of still requiring quarantine.

What do you propose, lockdown measures so you don’t get a sore throat for a few days? “But I don’t wanna get sick!” Tough, that’s part of life.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2021, 7:20 AM

Quote:
^ Don’t paint all Asians that way

I was in the Sikh temple in Oak Creek, WI about 2 months ago and……..no masks whatsoever. And it is always a very busy place.

Surprise surprise, nobody is dying! Most of the hardcore maskers live in a bubble and don’t realize that most people are living normally everywhere and are doing just fine (as long as vaccine penetration is good). Some of you people really need to get out of San Francisco, NY, etc to realize this
East Asians then.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2021, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
untrue.

only 1 in 8 have been affected by covid in the usa to date.

for comparison, the final spanish flu total affected was 1 in 4.

that is a far cry from everyone.
Both estimates. They really have no idea.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions