HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 8:06 PM

Announcement on the Bay Scheduled for Friday with PM and SCO

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...576419122.html

Southern Chiefs Organization will transform Winnipeg's downtown Bay into multi-use building
By: Chris Kitching
Posted: 2:23 PM CDT Thursday, Apr. 21, 2022

The Southern Chiefs’ Organization has struck a deal with Hudson’s Bay Co. to acquire and transform the chain’s flagship store in downtown Winnipeg into a multi-use building, the Free Press has learned.

The deal will be officially unveiled Friday when SCO Grand Chief Jerry Daniels, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and others gather for a news conference at the iconic store, according to sources with knowledge of the negotiations.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I always wondered why that lot was empty. Seems like prime real estate on a major transit/commuting route.
It was part of the old Deer Lodge streetcar loop, I believe. You can see it on this aerial photo from 1945 in the bottom left corner (using Deer Lodge Hospital as the reference point). The actual loop looks like it was adjacent to the empty lot, but I imagine it likely has something to do with why it sat undeveloped for so long.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 3:23 AM

^ Interesting!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 4:07 PM

The Deer Lodge lot likely sat empty due to the restrictions the airport places on this type of development. Over the years, WAA has stopped at least two other developments that I can recall.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 5:11 PM
What could go wrong?

The biggest impediment these days to developments in the area is sewer capacity. It is the same reason there is an issue with a proposed 14 storey at Sturgeon and Portage, and there is/was another 5-10 storey on the north side of Portage near the Paragon site being delayed by this. The city wants the developers to pay for a big chunk of trunk sewer to service the direct area.

I guess the Paragon guys managed to figure it out.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 5:50 PM

(sigh)

Subdivision and Rezoning – Southeast Corner of Kenaston Boulevard and Bison Drive (Waverley West Ward)
File DASZ 10/2022 [c/r DAC 9/2021 and DAV 105488/2022D]

This is completely unacceptable. If this passes through council at its current iteration I will move out of the area.

How can you not have multi-family housing facing the street on Kenaston and Bison? Especially when Bison Drive will have a Recreation Campus, a Superstore, 2 schools, a Football Stadium, and a goddamn University on it. This should be one of the densest areas in our city. There is already plenty of mixed-use housing so why is there nothing zoned RMU?

In fact in what is by all definitions an infill development there should not be any single-family houses. It's only going to worsen housing affordability in an area that is already unaffordable for many. There is one last chance to save the area and actually be walkable. I mean so many Uni students are going to live there as well. Even if you just put the Multi-family housing from Joe Keeper way onto Bison that's all that it requires (although they should keep the multi-family on Joe Keeper).

4/10 not a fan of it in the slightest.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 6:00 PM

I'm not a fan either but who can honestly be surprised by any of this? It's par for the course in that area.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 6:03 PM
BANNED

an old poster spent years lecturing us about the market and zoning and jane jacobs and libertarianism only to come in and approve developments like this.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyeyed View Post
an old poster spent years lecturing us about the market and zoning and jane jacobs and libertarianism only to come in and approve developments like this.
That is humorous

But I think there are limits on the power of a single planner in the PP&D department.

Incidentally, I can see that there is more than one former forumer referenced in that document.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The biggest impediment these days to developments in the area is sewer capacity. It is the same reason there is an issue with a proposed 14 storey at Sturgeon and Portage, and there is/was another 5-10 storey on the north side of Portage near the Paragon site being delayed by this. The city wants the developers to pay for a big chunk of trunk sewer to service the direct area.

I guess the Paragon guys managed to figure it out.
There is 21" that dead-ends at Sharp that feeds into an 8' pipe, this site is only half a block away. Maybe the developer is paying for 1 manhole and 60m of pipe.

If you're talking about that lot at Belvidere on the N side of Portage for the other build, it would be about 450m away from the sewer high point, so that would be pretty expensive. The residential streets in this area run north to Bruce. The pipes are probably undersized to accommodate an apartment.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 6:29 PM
Mooderator

I hope they keep the name "Public Road".

Just to magnify the blandness.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 6:33 PM

That Bison Run development is the same as the rest of Waverley West. Kenaston is an expressway. These are "gated" type developments. Is what it is. That ship sailed about 20 years ago and the problems are already there. Who maintains the fountains? Who cuts the grass? Apparently not the City. Police and fire stretched thinner. It's all there.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 6:44 PM
BANNED

edit:wrong thread

Old Posted Apr 23, 2022, 3:32 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyeyed View Post
it takes years to gain the positions to guide the city away from this crap............................................

Old Posted Apr 23, 2022, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
(sigh)

Subdivision and Rezoning – Southeast Corner of Kenaston Boulevard and Bison Drive (Waverley West Ward)
File DASZ 10/2022 [c/r DAC 9/2021 and DAV 105488/2022D]

This is completely unacceptable. If this passes through council at its current iteration I will move out of the area.

How can you not have multi-family housing facing the street on Kenaston and Bison? Especially when Bison Drive will have a Recreation Campus, a Superstore, 2 schools, a Football Stadium, and a goddamn University on it. This should be one of the densest areas in our city. There is already plenty of mixed-use housing so why is there nothing zoned RMU?

In fact in what is by all definitions an infill development there should not be any single-family houses. It's only going to worsen housing affordability in an area that is already unaffordable for many. There is one last chance to save the area and actually be walkable. I mean so many Uni students are going to live there as well. Even if you just put the Multi-family housing from Joe Keeper way onto Bison that's all that it requires (although they should keep the multi-family on Joe Keeper).

4/10 not a fan of it in the slightest.
Especially the coup de grace: walling off the entrance to the "town centre" and making sure people who live right next to Kenaston and Bison have to walk 400m in the wrong direction just to turn around and walk back to where they started. It's as bad as Bridgwater Forest across the street--a study in making sure nobody walks anywhere.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 5:38 AM

201 Portage

Saw fences up all the way around on my way home from work tonight. What's changing?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 1:31 PM
What could go wrong?

Courtyard renovation.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 1:37 PM
What could go wrong?

I’m not sure I understand all the chatter around the latest phase of Waverley West. Other than the well defined boundary’s of the Town Centre area, who actually thought that any of the remaining developable area would be anything other than the typical suburban style SFD and cul-de-sacs?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 3:40 PM

There is an access point to Kenaston mid block on that residential street. Let's not kid our selves here. WW has lots of paths and such, but is major car centric sprawl development.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I’m not sure I understand all the chatter around the latest phase of Waverley West. Other than the well defined boundary’s of the Town Centre area, who actually thought that any of the remaining developable area would be anything other than the typical suburban style SFD and cul-de-sacs?
I mean Waverley West was started 10 years ago there’s no reason to not believe that the area has the ability to evolve into something that resembles walkability considering how close it is to U of M. Especially with how much more attention has been brought towards the consequences of sprawl and car-dependent design.

Something as simple as relocating the Multi-family on the south public road to Bison would do wonders simply because there’s far more services and amenities on Bison. Having Bison act as a fenced off backyard just creates a massive void space from the Town Centre to the schools/rec campus. If you put housing facing the street instead it would help tremendously with the areas vibrancy and get cars off the road.

Also, in the rapid transit plan there is supposed to be a bus running on Bison with 10 minute headways directly to Uni. Why actively make it less convenient for people to take the bus when there’s a golden opportunity to increase ridership in the area just by utilizing a more appropriate denser land-use?

I just wish these developers would even do a surface level site analysis that’s all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan