HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 11:35 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleetMcDougle View Post
Just took a walk in the area around the York-Dauphin MFL station and the construction there is crazy. Might be the third most active spot for activity going on in North Philly after 2nd/American and the Frankford Ave corridor. Several huge projects going on in the blocks surrounding the El
Pics?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Pics?
It was getting a little dark - but I can grab some later this week!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Van Alen View Post
If there was so much concern about the demographic responding to the survey, why weren't more surveys done before the final decision was made? There was nearly a decade of public discussion about this - I think that gives OTIS more than enough cover to say they solicited all the feedback they could.

pretty sure this is coming from Johnson and Squilla on behalf of a few businesses that use extra lanes for parking or loading, OTIS reached out to the community a few different ways and the community always favored the 3 lane option, and they got like 20x the engagement they usually get or were hoping for.

WHYY interviewed a head of the Point Breeze RCO who is opposed to the plan and she says there is no safety issue and changing anything will cause a huge traffic mess and it's actually cyclists causing all the problems by riding out in front of people all the time. All total BS the city should have ignored, it's beyond belief for them to derail this for people like her. On top of that OTIS projected, compared to the 3 lane option, the 4 lane option would have worse traffic flow, be more dangerous for pedestrians, and keeps the bike lanes, so the change wouldn't even make sense as a response.

Last edited by AnEmperorPenguin; Feb 9, 2022 at 1:41 AM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnEmperorPenguin View Post
pretty sure this is coming from Johnson and Squilla on behalf of a few businesses that use extra lanes for parking or loading, OTIS reached out to the community a few different ways and the community always favored the 3 lane option, and they got like 20x the engagement they usually get or were hoping for.
100% this. Saying this is about equity for poor people is an absolute farce.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
100% this. Saying this is about equity for poor people is an absolute farce.
You are correct. Notice the change of heart on 3 lanes came after the Post Bros got going on their massive apartment buildings…. Perhaps they placed a call or two- with all of these apartments, they wanted 4 lanes.

The Point Breeze RCO is just a useful idiot.

Also, with these ~1,400 apartments, gentrification is a forgone deal on Washington Ave. The gentrification battle is already lost, they just don’t know it. Prediction- There will be a Starbucks on Washington Ave within 5 years and 4 lanes of traffic…

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 2:52 AM

There already is a Starbucks on Washington Ave at Broad in Lincoln Square. I doubt the apartment project would be in favor of the 4 lane proposal, and I think both plans had the same number of lanes at Broad anyway. Most likely it was the industrial/building supply companies and Italian Market

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 4:04 AM
Me?!?

Philly is losing historic buildings at an alarming rate. Can it learn from Baltimore?
https://whyy.org/articles/philly-is-...rom-baltimore/

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 5:56 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I don't want to hear anything about "equity" when POC pedestrians and cyclists are victims of vehicle fatalities at higher rates than the general population. Motorists are encouraged to speed on large, auto-centric roadways like Washington Avenue, putting the lives of those who cross it in danger. I'm also offended at the notion that non-white people are less inclined to desire pedestrian-friendly changes (as mentioned in the article), and that making the environment safer for pedestrians is somehow appeasing the wealthier, whiter residents. As a black cyclist and runner, I would love to feel safer while out on the streets. Whenever I set off on a run, the thought of being hit by a car is MUCH more prevalent than being the victim of a crime.

The city had a chance to make Washington Avenue safer for all users, but now it's all gone in the name of "equity". When will our brainless "leaders" learn to stop worshipping the automobile??
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
I think you've lost the thread here. Plenty of people in the "poor communities " that OTIS claims they're changing the plans for were involved in the initial process to change Washington Ave. Plenty of people in these communities want these changes. Most of them don't have time to get involved in this debate one way or the other.

You shouldn't assume that just because someone like Claudia Sherrod or Kenyatta Johnson claim to represent the will of the poor communities around Washington Ave, that they actually do.

And while Philadelphia is the poorest big city in America, you'd have to be living under a rock to think it's laughable for someone in Philadelphia to worry about gentrification. Have you not noticed the drastic and changes that have swept through so many Philadelphia neighborhoods in the past few decades? Can you really not understand that gentrification is a very real force in Philadelphia and a real worry for many residents?

The problem is that when most of the leaders in Philly do something they claim is designed to combat gentrification, they're really just furthering the will of their connected supporters. For as often as people in this city claim to be doing this and that in the name of fighting gentrification, nothing in this city has ever been done to actually address the issues that gentrification causes. Literally nothing. And that's because unfortunately, most of the people in this city who claim to be the champions of this city's poor, are some of the most incredibly shameless swindlers you could imagine.

I get that it's frustrating what is happening. But I hope everyone can see through the way that city leaders are basically holding poor people up as a shield for their unpopular decisions and are stoking very real fears of gentrification to push forward the will of the real people they support, not the actual people living in their communities, but the business owners and slum lords that support their campaigns and keep them in power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Philadelphia doesn't have a gentrification problem. It has an income problem.

It's easier to blame new "gentrifiers" who come with 21st century jobs and skills, blame them, and do nothing to equip your constituents with those skills to participate in the new economy.

Said differently. Things have been so sh*tty for so long for so many people that even a neighborhood that looks completely basic and functions at a stable level is perceived as gentrified. Oh my god. The students can read at grade level!!! How dare they. Oh my god. Our park doesn't have trash in it? It must be the devil.

I mean. I understand the history but its also not normal to live in a neighborhood that looks like a war zone. Our politicians should expect that everyone would want to live in a stable, functioning neighborhood.

These people have Stockholm Syndrome.
As a POC myself I can attest that yes poorer neighborhoods and minorities want better Schools, Roads, Parks, Safety and even cops.

The main issue at hand is the fact that a good amount of people hate the government/police and don't care or even want their help because well a lot of bad as happened from the same entities that say they are trying to help.

And a good amount of people want and welcome the changes and help.

So what happens is a rift in the neighborhood between NEIGHBORS and the entities that are trying to make the changes, it causes a cycle of back and forth which equals nothing happening.

The biggest issue is people not coming together as one to grow and protect their neighborhood, and when they do it's just not enough people as let's say Rittenhouse Square, Filter Square, Old City, Midtown Village, NoLib and etc.

Plus lets not even mention Gerrymandering and politicians using their constituents as pawns to get certain things through.

Let me put it this way, can you ride a bike if the links on the chains were broken?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 2:09 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Philly is losing historic buildings at an alarming rate. Can it learn from Baltimore?
Philadelphia historically was probably the most treasured architectural city in America, that title may still hold true, but the amount of unnecessary demolitions is heartbreaking. And who is largely to blame?

But at the same time, Philadelphia leads the nation in converting old buildings (factories) into office and residential use, so not all bad.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
A big part of it was the tax abatement. With that ending demos are likely to slow down quite a bit.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Let me put it this way, can you ride a bike if the links on the chains were broken?
Yes, but only downhill, and that's the direction Kenyatta Johnson and his scummy lot want to go. What ever happened with the FBI investigation around him? Is there any hope they take out that trash?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 2:50 PM

https://phillyyimby.com/2022/02/cons...ladelphia.html

I almost forgot about this! The tower crane is up and the cores are at the7 story mark! Cant wait to see this complete! The building and streetscape improvements will be massive!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 3:44 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitect13 View Post

I almost forgot about this! The tower crane is up and the cores are at the7 story mark! Cant wait to see this complete! The building and streetscape improvements will be massive!
Awesome! This is a great looking building, and fills a huge void.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitect13 View Post

Its funny how Philly YIMBY considers 3 or 4 blocks north of Center City as “North Philly”. Lol.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 4:21 PM

Looks like several of the Chestnut Street projects are about to start, barriers going up this morning and trucks on site at W Catholic site, 4209/4211 cleared, 4145 Boarded up, and 4311 shopping center is vacant.
20220209_095822 by , on Flickr
20220209_095952 by , on Flickr
20220209_095958 by , on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 4:24 PM

^^ Fantastic! I took a walk down Chestnut in U City last weekend and it is basically an extension of CC at this point, and only getting more and more built up. If even half of the Schuylkill Yards vision sees the light of day, the area will be a fantastic pocket of Philadelphia

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 7:29 PM
Chris

Such an awesome project and reuse. If only I-95 didn't exist, or was buried...

The Battery Will Re-energize Former PECO Station

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...r-peco-station

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Such an awesome project and reuse. If only I-95 didn't exist, or was buried...

The Battery Will Re-energize Former PECO Station

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...r-peco-station
Additional info & renders here:
https://www.cadence-advisors.com/_fi...388583266c.pdf

Really cool project - I've been wondering what was up with this as I saw the stacks were recently repainted. Hadn't heard anything about this site in a while.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 1:54 AM

A Move To Halt To Teardowns in NW Philadelphia?

Well, I guess I have to write a letter of protest to my District Councilperson... This is so backwards. Many sections of Mount Airy have homes with huge lots that could support accessory dwelling units ("granny flats"), which could easily add affordable housing to this area, but no we can't have that here in Philadelphia. So that pushes developers toward teardowns of older and smaller properties, or gutting a building and going vertical, but now the Councilperson wants to side with the NIMBYs and stop that. When the NIMBYs are holding hands with the so-called advocates for affordable housing, nothing but bad policy results.

https://whyy.org/articles/legislatio...urt-challenge/

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 2:09 AM
Me?!?

Cescaphe's Joe Volpe buys building on Fairmount Avenue, fills it with events-related tenants

Cescaphe founder and CEO Joe Volpe has purchased a warehouse at Fairmount Avenue and 10th Street in Philadelphia and is converting it into an extension of his event business.

Volpe paid $7 million for 920-942 Fairmount Ave., which consists of four connected warehouse buildings totaling about 35,000 square feet. The seller was an entity affiliated with Tracey Furniture.

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ource=facebook

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development