HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Penosbcot may have its observation deck reopened pretty soon.

Video Link

Here's a video from a few years ago by a radio technician who was up there. If they ever do reopen the deck, they are supposedly going to remove most of that antennae crap and put up safety barriers. But man what a view.

Video Link
The observation deck of the Penobscot Building has been closed since the 1960's and should certainly be reopened to the public. There was a proposal to do so back in 2015, but that never happened. The fact that Detroit has rebounded extensively since 2014 makes having the observation deck on the rooftop reopened worthwhile. Such an attraction would be one of the top attractions in Detroit and provide a lot of revenue for the building's owners. The deck should be wheelchair accessible and have an admission fee of $15-20 for adults charged with discounts for local area residents, children, senior citizens, students, and active military personnel. There should also be glass walls similar to what are seen at Top of the Rock in New York City to keep people from jumping off the building easily. https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...ight/22465593/

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 3:14 PM

I was in this building maybe five years ago. It was kind of bizarre, actually. The ownership situation was hands-off. Tenants are kind of on their own. Bathrooms were shut down, hallways were dripping odd substances and there was no building security. It seemed to be in a death spiral. Wonder why Gilbert hasn't bought this yet.

As for observation deck, there's no freaking way with current ownership. The elevators aren't even safe.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I was in this building maybe five years ago. It was kind of bizarre, actually. The ownership situation was hands-off. Tenants are kind of on their own. Bathrooms were shut down, hallways were dripping odd substances and there was no building security. It seemed to be in a death spiral. Wonder why Gilbert hasn't bought this yet.

As for observation deck, there's no freaking way with current ownership. The elevators aren't even safe.
When did the building fall into disrepair and was it easy for a person off the street to get on the elevator to the upper floors.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchGuy1 View Post
When did the building fall into disrepair and was it easy for a person off the street to get on the elevator to the upper floors.
I walked in unauthorized. I had business there (I have a buddy who worked at a consulate that used to be here), but there was just an unmanned desk. The elevators seemed to be basically open to anyone.

Granted, this was a few years ago. But I'd bet it would be extremely easy to explore the building. There were some blocked off floors and the like, though. The tower could be in danger of abandonment (which might be a good thing, as probably time for a total gut). It felt on its last legs, almost Wild West, like buildings in post-Apartheid Johannesburg or something.

The good thing is that tenants could stay and not be bothered without paying rent for months. It was quite a deal, if you could put up with the weirdness.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 4:38 PM

Quote:
I walked in unauthorized. I had business there (I have a buddy who worked at a consulate that used to be here), but there was just an unmanned desk. The elevators seemed to be basically open to anyone.

Granted, this was a few years ago. But I'd bet it would be extremely easy to explore the building. There were some blocked off floors and the like, though. The tower could be in danger of abandonment (which might be a good thing, as probably time for a total gut). It felt on its last legs, almost Wild West, like buildings in post-Apartheid Johannesburg or something.

The good thing is that tenants could stay and not be bothered without paying rent for months. It was quite a deal, if you could put up with the weirdness.
Was one easily able to go to the observation deck at the rooftop if they wanted to.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchGuy1 View Post
Was one easily able to go to the observation deck at the rooftop if they wanted to.
I didn't try but I bet it isn't super secure. I'm sure people have been up there unauthorized.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2022, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I didn't try but I bet it isn't super secure. I'm sure people have been up there unauthorized.
As part of the major renovation that the building needs, the building should be made LEED Gold certified in sustainable design and have the observation deck reopened to the public. Admission fees should be $15-20 for adults with discounts for senior citizens, children, students, and active military personnel.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture