HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 2:28 AM
Philly Rising Up!

[QUOTE=McBane;9856183]^ I understand this sentiment and generally agree. But as I've said before, I don't think you can compare 23rd and Walnut to 19th and Walnut. The site of the Laurel is one of the most premium lots in the entire city, if not the entire region. It was certainly worth waiting for the best proposal. We can go back and forth about how nice 23rd and Walnut is but I'm hopeful we can at least acknowledge it's not on the same level as 19th and Walnut.

If anyone is able to pull up the sale's price of both lots including lot sizes then, do some math and see how the price is per acre or fraction of an acre. And to get sophisticated, if there's a way to price the Laurel lot in today's value. I think we could get an idea if 23/walnut would be consider a premium lot based on the valuation it sold for and compared to what the Laurel sold for.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
^ Yet even still, these sites pale in comparison to the site of the Laurel.
I think you're putting too much stock in living close to the square. Some people's dream location is close to the river, other's is close proximity to 30th Street Station. Big picture, Philly is obviously more than just Rittenhouse Square and 23rd and Walnut is as prime a location for a residential building as any in the city.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 4:06 PM

Is this the Laurel site? No. It's not even as good as the Sunoco site a block away. However, this site calls for more than what looks like glorified W. Philly student housing.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 5:40 PM
PHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Is this the Laurel site? No. It's not even as good as the Sunoco site a block away. However, this site calls for more than what looks like glorified W. Philly student housing.
Honestly I can think of like 6 or 7 UCity student housing towers that each look like 100 times better than this proposal. Evo, Summit, and even Millenium near Drexel alone have far greater impact. I can picture a few more at Penn too. This thing looks like a small step down from Drexel's Race Street Hall honestly.

It looks heinously crummy.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 2:35 PM

Cdr?

Did anyone attend the CDR meeting about this? Curious what the reception was like...

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 4:19 PM

Probably that it's too tall and not enough parking. LOL have you ever heard of the community demanding better design? Ever? The only time NIMBYs have ever even cared about design is when an uber-modern building is proposed. Otherwise, all that matters is height and parking.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 4:40 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holt View Post
Did anyone attend the CDR meeting about this? Curious what the reception was like...
The actual reception was that the design should go back to the drawing board. There were some concerns about lighting and the public spaces too, but the main complaint was the design and materials were not appropriate for this area.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 5:58 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
The actual reception was that the design should go back to the drawing board. There were some concerns about lighting and the public spaces too, but the main complaint was the design and materials were not appropriate for this area.
Darn it, I missed the meeting and the archived Zoom session is not yet listed on Planning/CDR’s recordings page. However, using one simple trick, I found the Zoom stream is online. I simply edited the date in the URL of a previous meeting and here it is: https://dpd-public-meetings.s3.amazo...R_Feb72023.mp4
2301 Walnut St presentation begins at 52:00:00 in the recording.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
Yes! Stick it to them! Too bad CDR is non-binding and the developer can choose to completely ignore them.

Shame on you Trammell Crow. You’re building in Fitler Square - one of the most charming and architecturally rich neighborhoods in the entire country. You’re not building this in Dallas or Houston or King of Prussia, PA. This project is completely awful in every sense of the word.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 9:31 PM

Good on the CDR for demanding better design! (Sorry on my previous post - thought it was a presentation to a neighborhood civic group).

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Good on the CDR for demanding better design! (Sorry on my previous post - thought it was a presentation to a neighborhood civic group).
To be fair I haven't had that experience with CCRA either. In all of the meetings I've attended, which is probably 5 or 6 over the past year, particularly for the noteworthy projects like Broad and Lombard, they've generally been pretty pro-development. The CCRA members were praising the Broad and Lombard project and kind of laughing off the bewilderment about the lack of parking from the few older members of the public. I found it pretty encouraging honestly

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Darn it, I missed the meeting and the archived Zoom session is not yet listed on Planning/CDR’s recordings page. However, using one simple trick, I found the Zoom stream is online. I simply edited the date in the URL of a previous meeting and here it is: https://dpd-public-meetings.s3.amazo...R_Feb72023.mp4
2301 Walnut St presentation begins at 52:00:00 in the recording.
LOL thank you for this! I've been checking for the upload since I wanted to see this one. I didn't think to try that

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals