HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
I doubt it would happen. Are there any fare free subways heavy rail systems around the world? I know of buses, light rail, and people movers being fare free (like Miami's Metrorail), but, not heavy rail.
Metromover (not Metrorail) is the free one.

Metrorail (the heavy rail system) is actually free right now though but only for a 2 month long promotion as they unveil the better bus route thing.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Metromover (not Metrorail) is the free one.

Metrorail (the heavy rail system) is actually free right now though but only for a 2 month long promotion as they unveil the better bus route thing.
Doh, I meant to write Metromover! Thanks!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2023, 10:41 PM
Show me the blueprints

The only thing worse than paying $2.90 for a sub-par subway experience is paying nothing for an undoubtedly more degrading experience that such a change would surely bring about. Tell people something is worthless and they will be quick to follow suit in making it so. I can't even imagine how much worse the mentally ill and crime would be with literally no barriers to entry.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Last edited by Busy Bee; Dec 28, 2023 at 10:53 PM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 6:16 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
With 8.5 million people, every citizen would have to pay $2,352.94 annually somehow to cover the $20,000,000,000 operating cost of the MTA. Lower if you somehow get outsiders in multiple cities and states to pay
umm, yeah. with 70M visitors annually in years past i dont think local citizens need to be the major significant funding source. plus congestion pricing is on the way.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 6:19 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
I doubt it would happen. Are there any fare free subways heavy rail systems around the world? I know of buses, light rail, and people movers being fare free (like Miami's Metrorail), but, not heavy rail.
nyc now has one free bus line in each boro. its a pilot.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 2:49 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

fax for the congestion pricing h8rz —

CAR CITY: MTA and Port Authority data shows record traffic on NYC crossings as congestion pricing nears

By Ben BrachfeldPosted on December 28, 2023

More people are driving cars in New York City than ever before, based on toll data from the MTA and Port Authority — a remarkable feat as the city prepares to implement congestion pricing in the hopes of dissuading motorists from getting behind the wheel in favor of mass transit.

more:
https://www.amny.com/transit/record-...stion-pricing/

Vehicle volume on MTA bridges and tunnels has been growing for decades.MTA Bridges & Tunnels

The Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge.
MTA / Patrick Cashin

Old Posted Dec 29, 2023, 4:32 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
The only thing worse than paying $2.90 for a sub-par subway experience is paying nothing for an undoubtedly more degrading experience that such a change would surely bring about. Tell people something is worthless and they will be quick to follow suit in making it so. I can't even imagine how much worse the mentally ill and crime would be with literally no barriers to entry.
Yes there's been a lot of debate on the viability of free transit and the possibility that removing the price would cause it to be psychologically devalued. But I'm not sure if this is a real observed phenomenon or just something people theorize. If it's the latter, we have to remember that our intuitions aren't always correct and we need real data to actually know.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2023, 12:31 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Yes there's been a lot of debate on the viability of free transit and the possibility that removing the price would cause it to be psychologically devalued. But I'm not sure if this is a real observed phenomenon or just something people theorize. If it's the latter, we have to remember that our intuitions aren't always correct and we need real data to actually know.
totally agree. there is not much actual data on making all transit free to use in a major city. i dk that we would have more mentally ill riding than we do? maybe??

perhaps the current new free bus routes in each boro can tell us something in time? that is, if its not collecting inordinate numbers of mh homeless types than maybe it could be expanded a bit more, like for example to all busses? and then assess how that expansion goes.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2023, 8:18 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

apparantly the 14st tunnel in manhattan connecting the 8av ACEL station & 7av 123 station has reopened —

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C04lb...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Old Posted Dec 31, 2023, 1:44 AM

There's always the option of actually dealing with the problem of homelessness and mental illness, through e.g. policies like housing first and prioritizing mental health, rather than trying to hide it away. But that's just too radical I suppose.

As for cities that have free transit, there's Luxembourg and Tallinn, Estonia that I know of, though obviously nowhere near the size of NYC. As far as I know they haven't experienced problems, though it may be that they actually take care of the homeless and the mentally ill as well.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2023, 3:13 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Nick View Post
There's always the option of actually dealing with the problem of homelessness and mental illness, through e.g. policies like housing first and prioritizing mental health, rather than trying to hide it away. But that's just too radical I suppose.

As for cities that have free transit, there's Luxembourg and Tallinn, Estonia that I know of, though obviously nowhere near the size of NYC. As far as I know they haven't experienced problems, though it may be that they actually take care of the homeless and the mentally ill as well.
thats easy to say, but via a count in october there were 91K known homeless in nyc, to say nothing of those with more intractable mh issues. not to mention the immigrants getting dumped here from texas and the like who need immediate temporary housing. also, there is a law that they can refuse (which is also why rikers has so many problems). i often wonder if other places who supposedly have no or few issues with homelessness have that right, but its hard to know because they arent open with stats. not trying to absolve the city of responsibilities course, but here its ... harder.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2023, 3:19 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Waiting for homelessness and mental health to be solved before making the change might be a bit impractical. Probably best to just invest in some extra security which yes, would add to costs. But it would be a drop in the bucket of the total operations budget and would help keep the system feeling safe and functional for everyone.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2023, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
Dear Community Member,

The Interborough Express (IBX) will be kicking off the environmental review process as the next step in this exciting and transformative project that would create 14 miles of new public transit between Brooklyn and Queens.

We're continuing our Open House series on Thursday, January 18th, 2024 in partnership with the Queens Chamber of Commerce. Join us to learn more about the environmental review process, how you can stay involved, and how to share your feedback. Register here: https://bit.ly/3Rs1HpC.

Can’t join in-person? You can review the presentation and associated informational boards from the open houses and share your feedback via a digital engagement tool.
Upcoming Open House with Queens Chamber of Commerce

Thursday, 1/18/2024, 10:30am
Bulova Cafe - Astoria Boulevard South 75-20 Astoria Blvd. (enter from South)
Astoria, New York

links --

https://queenschamber.glueup.com/eve...the-mta-95310/

ibx info:
https://new.mta.info/document/126041

more ibx info:
https://new.mta.info/document/126046

fedback:
https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/c...be5fdb43839fc1
In your opinion, what could be the realistic opening data of this new and important light rail line?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2023, 10:48 PM

The MTA has said it'll take four years and cost $5.5 billion. Given how incompetent they are, I realistically think IBX won't be done till around 2031 at ~$8 billion.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 2:15 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ sounds about right — ugh.

After years of work, Pelham Parkway phase 2 reconstruction is complete

By Emily Swanson
Posted on January 1, 2024

Speedier bus service, reduced flooding, more trees, and safer roads are some improvements residents should notice now that the second phase of Pelham Parkway reconstruction — started in 2017 — is completed.

On Wednesday, the city announced the completion of the $130 million project, which was managed by the Department of Design and Construction (DDC) in cooperation with the Department of Transportation (DOT) and Department of Environmental Protection (DEP).

more:
https://www.bxtimes.com/pelham-parkway-reconstruction/

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 2:19 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

another for the bx —

Feds announce $150 million for new bus, pedestrian and cyclist lanes on the Cross Bronx

By Camille Botello
Posted on December 20, 2023

New dedicated bus lanes and both pedestrian and cyclist pathways are on the horizon for the Cross Bronx Expressway thanks to a $150 million allocation from the federal Department of Transportation (DOT) — the latest step in the reimagining of the freeway to improve both transportation and health outcomes in the borough.

more:
https://www.bxtimes.com/million-cross-bronx/

Old Posted Jan 4, 2024, 11:47 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

welp my spouse was waiting & waiting on the long delayed 1 train downtown today — this is why — some mental health person set it off — ugh:

At least 24 injured after NYC subway trains collide, derail; service disruptions expected through morning

By Social Links for Steven Vago , Social Links for Larry Celona , Social Links for Nolan Hicks and Social Links for Patrick Reilly
Published Jan. 4, 2024

more:
https://nypost.com/2024/01/04/metro/...ilment-in-nyc/

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
The MTA has said it'll take four years and cost $5.5 billion. Given how incompetent they are, I realistically think IBX won't be done till around 2031 at ~$8 billion.
No way they can do it in 4 years judging by the amount of work needed.

My estimate - It will take 10 years and cost $13 billion.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 6:03 PM

CTDOT: Norwalk Merritt 7 train station completed, with ribbon-cutting set for walkway in next week

By Kalleen Rose Ozanic
Jan. 3, 2024
CT Insider

The new Merritt 7 train station will welcome commuters with an official ribbon-cutting within the next week, Connecticut Department of Transportation spokesperson Josh Morgan said. (Ned Gerard/Connecticut Post)

"NORWALK — A ribbon-cutting ceremony for Norwalk’s long-awaited new Merritt 7 train station will officially welcome commuters to the completed project within the next week, a Connecticut Department of Transportation spokesperson said.

Work crews completed construction between Christmas and New Year’s Eve for the project that the state approved funding for in 2017 — although part of the new station has been open to commuters since June, said Josh Morgan, CTDOT communications manager.

“I think they were doing some finishing touches,” Morgan said. “Most of it was completed by the end of Dec. 22, and then they had a little bit of work there that week between Christmas and New Year's...”

https://www.ctinsider.com/news/artic...h-18585247.php

Old Posted Jan 5, 2024, 7:02 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
No way they can do it in 4 years judging by the amount of work needed.

My estimate - It will take 10 years and cost $13 billion.

I think not happening at all is also a significant percentage. And honestly considering I think they are making significant planning mistakes by choosing light rail over heavy rail/metro and completely failing to to see that the corridor holds immense potential for a drastically more ambitious bi-state regional orbital concept - I'm not sure I find that outcome too troubling. I think MTA leadership is the problem and I view it as a generational impediment.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation