HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 4:45 AM

Literally nobody has said or even implied that in the last four months. Check yourself before you wreck yourself (further).

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I think it is clear BC is not in the drivers seat on this. That project will move forward based on the priorities of the US federal government and the two states. As you say, if they go forward, BC would be crazy to not jump onboard. With a bit of encouragement the feds through Via rail as well.

If it is built then we have a high speed rail line through the city. Should it be extended with a stop in Surrey? Yes. Beyond that? Who knows. That would be a separate follow on project.
Emphasis on the feds; depending on the funding structure, we may not even have the municipal contribution this time, and in that case they should be putting up at least 60% of BC's share or more.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
I guess they thought they could get away with it. Different seismic context, of course.

Edmonton earthquakes M1.5 or greater
0 earthquakes in the past 24 hours
0 earthquakes in the past 7 days
0 earthquakes in the past 30 days
0 earthquakes in the past 365 days
Hm. I don't think I was the cause of this happening. I bet they're glad they're strengthening the columns in Edmonton now.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Literally nobody has said or even implied that in the last four months. Check yourself before you wreck yourself (further).

Emphasis on the feds; depending on the funding structure, we may not even have the municipal contribution this time, and in that case they should be putting up at least 60% of BC's share or more.
Games can be played. The US is putting in the funding for the trainset. That can be argued as a contribution that the government of Canada can match against.

We are technically not talking about normal public transit but something that would normally be handled by VIA rail.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 8:57 PM

Couple of months old, but this call is definitely no fantasy:

Quote:
Big expansion needed for West Coast Express commuter rail, says advocacy group
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/west...-fraser-valley
Quote:
Push for expanded West Coast Express rail services gets support from mayors, politicians
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ians-1.6579067
Hopefully this is an ongoing process with the Provincial as well as Federal governments. Looking forward to an announcement in the near future.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 9:26 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Hm. I don't think I was the cause of this happening. I bet they're glad they're strengthening the columns in Edmonton now.
Great timing on your part!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 9:31 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Couple of months old, but this call is definitely no fantasy
Those two stories quote the same guy who lost in the election for city council. And the CBC story explains why expanded service isn't possible unless Translink purchases the rails or builds new ones:

Quote:
"TransLink is monitoring WCE ridership to determine a long-term strategy for the service and to evaluate its role as a regional passenger rail system," reads the statement.

TransLink says it has limited control over use of the rail tracks which are owned by CP Rail.

"I don't know if it's possible to get expanded line [service]," Stewart said Saturday. "It's a CP line that's primarily used for freight."

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 9:32 PM

Quote:
I apologize if any of my comments on your project appeared hostile or cynical - if they did it was because you came in soon after the increasingly frustrating and clearly pointless exchanges with earlier ideas that didn't seem to be based on any local knowledge, and included assumptions that were beyond unrealistic. Your replies showed that you understand the problems, and have a potential solution, to (for example) fitting a track through the Grandview Cut. I'm still skeptical about what that (and other aspects of the project) might cost, but we had a robust and I thought reasonable exchange about how much things actually cost to build here, versus what they ought to cost in a more ideal world! You understand the ideas of competing priorities, and the importance of a robust business case for any proposal, and I look forward to seeing the next iteration of the idea.
Thank you for this and you raised some good questions. I look forward to sharing the next version of this with this forum, which will contain more a thorough design analysis and rigorous cost estimates.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
Those two stories quote the same guy who lost in the election for city council. And the CBC story explains why expanded service isn't possible unless Translink purchases the rails or builds new ones:
Yup. For example, YVR wants the Canada Line to go to Surrey, and they've got even more pull than an advocacy group, but that's probably not going to happen.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 10:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Yup. For example, YVR wants the Canada Line to go to Surrey, and they've got even more pull than an advocacy group, but that's probably not going to happen.
There is merit for both of these lines. Why would they not happen?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
It would run through Delta

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 10:44 PM

Quote:
The former's technical difficulties have been repeatedly spelled out in great detail.

The latter is disproved by a quick glance at a map: any form of Brighouse-Surrey train covers too much empty space for too few people. We're better of with a 41st SkyTrain and more BRTs to get to it.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 10:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
It would run through Delta
So?
One more community connected.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 10:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The former's technical difficulties have been repeatedly spelled out in great detail.

The latter is disproved by a quick glance at a map: any form of Brighouse-Surrey train covers too much empty space for too few people. We're better of with a 41st SkyTrain and more BRTs to get to it.
Do they lay out a route?

Again, this goes back to there being such a lack of real transit options that everyone is throwing all ideas out there to see what sticks. If better heavy rail options existed to the various communities the Skytrain would be silly.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Do they lay out a route?

Again, this goes back to there being such a lack of real transit options that everyone is throwing all ideas out there to see what sticks. If better heavy rail options existed to the various communities the Skytrain would be silly.
They do not. It's part of a wishlist.

As mentioned, commuter rail wouldn't make sense either, because less than 10% of each community travels to the other; the lack of density in the middle doesn't help either. There's already plans for BRT from Richmond to Metrotown - which solves most of those edge cases - and we've already established that separated BRT counts as rapid transit.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 11:09 PM

Improving White Rock to Bridgeport express service is in the 10 year priority list. The new Fraser River tunnel is already to have 1 dedicated bus lane in each direction so you're pretty close to getting great city-city service on Hwy 99

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 4:14 AM
BANNED

With the snow storm the area has experienced, if the area had a more robust rail system, maybe the city would not be crippled by a snowstorm.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2022/1...t-delays-snow/
Metro Vancouver bus users should expect 'considerable delays' after snow

"Meanwhile, SkyTrain, West Coast Express, and SeaBus are all “operating normally,” Mountain adds."

Tell me again how a bus is good enough for the entire Lower Mainland.
Face it, the Lower Mainland is not prepared for extreme weather, whether it be an atmospheric river or a snowstorm.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 4:48 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
With the snow storm the area has experienced, if the area had a more robust rail system, maybe the city would not be crippled by a snowstorm.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2022/1...t-delays-snow/
Metro Vancouver bus users should expect 'considerable delays' after snow

"Meanwhile, SkyTrain, West Coast Express, and SeaBus are all “operating normally,” Mountain adds."

Tell me again how a bus is good enough for the entire Lower Mainland.
Face it, the Lower Mainland is not prepared for extreme weather, whether it be an atmospheric river or a snowstorm.
Skytrain crapped out yesterday as well, but it was still better than the rest of the chaos.

A coworker of mine couldn't make it to Surrey. The trains were turning around at Scott Rd later in the evening.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 5:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
Skytrain crapped out yesterday as well, but it was still better than the rest of the chaos.

A coworker of mine couldn't make it to Surrey. The trains were turning around at Scott Rd later in the evening.
Was it due to their LIM technology? If so, is there a way to make them more robust?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 5:03 AM

And today, everything's back to normal. Best to plan the transit network around the one day it doesn't work and the 364 days when it does.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 5:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
And today, everything's back to normal. Best to plan the transit network around the one day it doesn't work and the 364 days when it does.
The problem with that is these events happen more often each year. What if Vancouver gets a storm like this once a month for 4-6 months a year. Or, what if it is a regular occurrence to get 5cm dropped on the area each week? This could be the future. The province and the area builds for earthquakes as they are frequent enough. Before, they didn't and spent billions upgrading structures.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure