HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 11:23 AM

^^^^^^^ what/where is this intersection suppose to be?
I'm glad this isn't a suburban type development where buildings are surrounded by huge parking lots, but at the same time it doesn't seem especially urban. Each building sortof just sits there by itself, there isn't much wall effect. It seems more 'Dallas' like then CC Philly.

Also, can someone check and see if the present buildings of the science center are on the tax roles. I think its a non-profit, but some buildings, such as 3601 Market St. are clearly private profit making attempts.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 12:26 PM
BANNED

Nice! Philly is one of my favorite US cities.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
I'm glad this isn't a suburban type development where buildings are surrounded by huge parking lots, but at the same time it doesn't seem especially urban. Each building sortof just sits there by itself, there isn't much wall effect. It seems more 'Dallas' like then CC Philly.

Also, can someone check and see if the present buildings of the science center are on the tax roles. I think its a non-profit, but some buildings, such as 3601 Market St. are clearly private profit making attempts.
I like it. The complex is named U City SQUARE. This is the effect they are going for. Not every block of the city has to feel the same or have a "wall effect"...

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Based on the site plan that mcgrath618 posted on the previous page, looks like maybe 37th (new street?) and warren.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 7:27 PM

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 8:10 PM

There is just something satisfying about seeing a new (and tree-lined) street rise in what has been a field.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 1:52 AM

Are those grass partitions (if that's the right word) between the sidewalk and street? If it is, it feels very suburban and I'm at a loss to think of anywhere else within the core of Center City that has that set up. Very interesting.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Are those grass partitions (if that's the right word) between the sidewalk and street? If it is, it feels very suburban and I'm at a loss to think of anywhere else within the core of Center City that has that set up. Very interesting.
Literally no where has that set up no where even near Center City. Agree that it looks suburban as fuck.

Also, am I the only one who thinks it's strange that they're paving these nice sidewalks and landscaping them with trees when the buildings behind the sidewalk aren't even built yet. When construction starts all the equipment and machinery will fuck up the sidewalk and maybe even kill the trees. So what's the point?

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 2:42 AM

I'd bet that they will lay some sort of brick/stone like at Dilworth Park, Drexel Park, and Love Park, but don't let me stop you from jumping to conclusions and declaring this a disaster.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 3:19 AM

Quote:
I don't see any grass.

These could very well be swales used to collect runoff...the PWD is encouraging the installation of these wherever possible.

Also, it's not necessarily suburban. If landscaped, those berms could be a huge asset. I'm thinking of the Condesa neighborhood in Mexico City. Literally, between the sidewalk and the streets, there are landscaped troughs everywhere. It's one of the nicest urban neighborhoods I've ever been in.

Even better yet. No overhead power lines are in this picture. So, at least this part of West Philly will avoid the Lagos meets Penom Penh aesthetic.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
They are called curb strips or parking strips in some places (those are the names i've heard) but apparently there are lots of regionalized names for them according to Wikipedia - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_verge#Terminology

I don't mind them as they can be really nice if landscaped well (also the rainwater runoff benefits as mentioned), but I hope the buildings are built all the way out to the property line. Setbacks would be more of an indicator of suburbia to me.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
They are called curb strips or parking strips in some places (those are the names i've heard) but apparently there are lots of regionalized names for them according to Wikipedia - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_verge#Terminology

I don't mind them as they can be really nice if landscaped well (also the rainwater runoff benefits as mentioned), but I hope the buildings are built all the way out to the property line. Setbacks would be more of an indicator of suburbia to me.
Brand new streets and they couldn't include protected bike lanes??

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I don't see any grass.

These could very well be swales used to collect runoff...the PWD is encouraging the installation of these wherever possible.

Also, it's not necessarily suburban. If landscaped, those berms could be a huge asset. I'm thinking of the Condesa neighborhood in Mexico City. Literally, between the sidewalk and the streets, there are landscaped troughs everywhere. It's one of the nicest urban neighborhoods I've ever been in.

Even better yet. No overhead power lines are in this picture. So, at least this part of West Philly will avoid the Lagos meets Penom Penh aesthetic.
We can't even pull weeds from the Broad Street median in front of the convention center. If these are berms they will be 4ft weeded eyesores by June every year.

No, I think Phishtown probably hit the nail on the head - some sort of permeable paver will connect the street curb to the sidewalk (you can kind of see the 4-6" lip in the lower left).

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 3:52 PM

Wow. Negadelphianism suddenly burst forth on this page.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 11:22 PM
Philly Pholly

I believe the dog-leg parking lanes are meant to be more pedestrian friendly

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 12:53 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

ZBA approved the variances for the school building on Wednesday. They needed variances related to parking and the loading dock.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
We can't even pull weeds from the Broad Street median in front of the convention center. If these are berms they will be 4ft weeded eyesores by June every year.

No, I think Phishtown probably hit the nail on the head - some sort of permeable paver will connect the street curb to the sidewalk (you can kind of see the 4-6" lip in the lower left).
That is North Broad. South Broad is fine. This in progress street looks fine to me, and I would hope they determined that forthcoming destruction will not interfere with or kill the trees before planting them. We will see. Maybe they will landscape the grassy-looking area surrounding each tree. Far better than pavers. Or put mulch or decorative metal grates, both of which ARE seen in other areas of the city. Suburban... Everyone needs to calm down.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 8:38 PM

3700 Lancaster CDR application:

https://www.phila.gov/media/20190724...pplication.pdf

With the Link recently completed next door, this will add a lot of energy to this corridor. Good spot for an urban format convenience store and grocer to serve the growing Mantua and Powelton neighborhoods.

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; Jul 24, 2019 at 9:17 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 2:19 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is that the max height that zoning allows at this location?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is that the max height that zoning allows at this location?
It'll make for a nice transition and, more importantly, will work well for the commercial corridor along that portion of Lancaster. Shops on both sides of Lancaster and an appeasing pedestrian experience is more important than height right there. Let the taller U City Square stuff sit behind it along Market Street.

My daughter's ballet studio is across the street, so I know this block well. This will fit in great.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals