HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 7:51 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleve View Post
Hello! Newly signed up member / Long time follower. Lived downtown in Fillmore/Roosevelt area for 11 years now...

Excavator and Construction Trailer on site now and new fences around property...
Excellent news! Thank you for the update and welcome!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2022, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Hello! Newly signed up member / Long time follower. Lived downtown in Fillmore/Roosevelt area for 11 years now...

Excavator and Construction Trailer on site now and new fences around property...
Nice. I live on the west side (portland and 5th ave) and love all the apartments filling up 1st ave to 7th ave vanburen to roosevelt. With walter studios just opening (7th ave/roosevelt), the van buren, crescent ballroom, valley bar, dodge theater, orpheum. its the place to be for live music.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 3:00 PM

Quote:

drove by last night and buildings have been flattened. except for mckinley club.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 View Post
Nice. I live on the west side (portland and 5th ave) and love all the apartments filling up 1st ave to 7th ave vanburen to roosevelt. With walter studios just opening (7th ave/roosevelt), the van buren, crescent ballroom, valley bar, dodge theater, orpheum. its the place to be for live music.
Moved from Ahwatukee the beginning of 2011 - Downtown was a ghost town at first.. Love how much the area has transformed and the direction its going... Very exciting stuff!

Drove by this morning and snapped a picture - Can't figure out how to upload...lol

Hopefully McKinley project moves fast going forward.... Excited for the project!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2022, 7:47 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Moved from Ahwatukee the beginning of 2011 - Downtown was a ghost town at first .. Love how much the area has transformed and the direction its going... Very exciting stuff!

Drove by this morning and snapped a picture - Can't figure out how to upload...lol

Hopefully McKinley project moves fast going forward.... Excited for the project!
You're not kidding! When I first moved here at the end of 2012, I was working for Xerox at their location at 2700 Central. I remember that Central Ave traffic was so dead that even during my lunch hour, I could walk straight across the middle of Central Ave over to Lenny's for lunch.

I wouldn't dare do that now unless I wanted to get run over. Such a huge change in only 10 years.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 12:41 PM
Skyriser

Strange, I thought downtown was sorta healthy back then.

You wanna talk about dead, try 2005 when I first moved there.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post

I'm guessing every person who knows downtown from an earlier generation will say something similar. I feel the same way as you though, I came here in 2002 and we rarely went downtown other than for Suns, D'Baks and Yotes games.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post

That's what i was thinking... I remember going to Carly's when it opened.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 7:26 PM

started on underground utilities. looks like big electrical conduits on north side of property. not quite done with demo.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 8:33 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 View Post
started on underground utilities. looks like big electrical conduits on north side of property. not quite done with demo.
Beat me to it! looks like they aren't going to waste any time with starting construction. Should be soon to get an official ground breaking

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 9:36 PM
Modulator

Tower crane FAA app submitted today for First McKinley

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...7278112&row=13

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 3:46 PM

Atlanta developer plans 23-story tower in Phoenix Roosevelt Row Arts District

Apparently it broke ground? LOL New name is also Saiya? I prefer First McKinley

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...row-tower.html

Quote:
Atlanta-based Hatteras Sky has broken ground on a 23-story high-rise apartment tower in downtown Phoenix.

With a total development cost of $184 million, the project will include 389 apartment units and 12,550 square feet of street-level retail, including the preservation of the historic McKinley Medical Office Building.

To be called Saiya, the project will include an amenity deck swimming pool, a rooftop pool, elevated outdoor courtyards, fitness center, game room, dog park, rooftop kitchen and bar lounge.

Financing comes from its capital partner, Bridge Investment Group, a Salt Lake City real estate investment group with $38.8 billion of assets under management. Construction financing is being provided by East West Bank and Poppy Bank.

JE Dunn is general contractor for the project at First Avenue and McKinley Street. Shepley Bulfinch is the project architect.

The first residential units are expected to be delivered in the summer of 2024, said Oz Friedmann, principal and managing director of development at Hatteras Sky.

"We finished demolition of two of the three existing structures, and the third existing structure is going to remain," he said.

The building that will remain is the historic 6,500-square-foot McKinley Medical Office Building, or MOB, which was built in the 1940s.

"It has sentimental value to the neighborhood," he said.

Hatteras Sky specializes in adaptive reuse projects, he said.

"It's somewhat tied to what we're passionate about," he said. "We just felt it was a really great building with great bones."

He envisions a "cool restaurant" taking the space in the former MOB.

"We're working with Western Retail Advisors, our retail leasing broker, and we'll put our heads together," Friedmann said. "Our intent is to curate retail uses that really fit in the neighborhood as well as differentiate and be able to really create something cool and unique as to what you see in Roosevelt Row."

Friedmann said he was attracted to the area for the potential employment growth at the Phoenix Bioscience Core, which is slated to include 1.7 million square feet of bioscience and medical space.

The parcel he purchased also is within an Opportunity Zone, adding another bonus to the deal, he said.

"I was looking at Phoenix as a target market prior to Opportunity Zones," he said. "The Opportunity Zone program came together perfectly."

Friedmann said he's bullish on the Phoenix market.

"Our intention is to look for some more land," he said. "Although the timing of that is somewhat unknown at this time. I'm hopeful in the short term to be able to find another deal here in Phoenix. It's certainly part of our strategic growth."

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 4:16 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Apparently it broke ground? LOL New name is also Saiya? I prefer First McKinley

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...row-tower.html
They've been doing a lot of work. Went by yesterday and the JE Dunn construction fencing banner/wrap was up. Guess I will rename this thread to Saiya

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
They've been doing a lot of work. Went by yesterday and the JE Dunn construction fencing banner/wrap was up. Guess I will rename this thread to Saiya
these projects all go through multiple names it seems before its final. At lest we are done with THE **** Names it looks like.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 4:47 PM
Modulator

I also just noticed in the new rendering in the article, the 2nd tower got cut about 4 or 5 floors. Bummer.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I also just noticed in the new rendering in the article, the 2nd tower got cut about 4 or 5 floors. Bummer.
Yeah it looks to be only 7-stories instead of 13. And the double height entry and 3/4 floor amenity space on that tower were almost completely removed. A little disappointing, but at least the main tower looks the same.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 6:16 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAZ View Post
Yeah it looks to be only 7-stories instead of 13. And the double height entry and 3/4 floor amenity space on that tower were almost completely removed. A little disappointing, but at least the main tower looks the same.
Just read an article on Tuesday that the Phoenix area is still in need of 20k+ multifamily units. Very surprised they would cut out some residential with so much need for more multifamily.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAZ View Post
Is the 7 stories going on top of the existing medical building they are preserving? If so maybe they discovered something structurally that limited what they could there.

Yes, the PHX area is short multi-family - but not all of it is needed downtown.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 7:55 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Is the 7 stories going on top of the existing medical building they are preserving? If so maybe they discovered something structurally that limited what they could there.

Yes, the PHX area is short multi-family - but not all of it is needed downtown.
The 7 floors will be stand alone with a connection to the garage which is itself connected to the primary tower on the other side of the garage. The former McKinley Club will be completely separated from the garage and towers by a wrap-around walkway.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2022, 10:30 PM

Further confirmation that this project has broken ground:

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/h...ntown-phoenix/

Same rendering as we've seen before - but article is not paywalled.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest