HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
10 years ago? Hanny's, Bitter & Twisted, Crescent.....

I think that was pretty much it.
Nope, Bitter & Twisted opened in 2014.

Crescent was half its current size. Hanny's was a cool happy hour and dinner place but did nowhere the business it does today.

Angels Trumpet opened in 2012 so that's exactly 10 years ago.

People used to actually go to City Center to drink after work at places like Bar 430. Tom's Tavern was popular. It was slim pickins.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2022, 10:05 PM

I used to love the old Rose & Crown too in that house on 7th, such a good spot!

Also I drove by the former Downtown Deli space, Looks cleaned up with some kind of activity going on inside. Hopefully we get a new bar/restaurant soon.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 12:46 AM
Skyriser

As far as open then and still open, Seamus McCaffreys and Carly's were favorite haunts of mine. Moira feels like it's been open forever now, approaching institutional status. Pita Jungle as well. Never ate at copper blues.

There were a number of places that were open then for a very long time after that have since closed... District, Province, bliss, Networks, brick... feels like it would be a full time job eating at and keeping track of all the restaurants downtown.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 5:56 PM

The Breadfruit & Rum Bar is Back, But This Time At An Acclaimed Cocktail Bar

Good news! The Breadfruit is back! Taking over the kitchen at Bitter & Twisted.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/rest...-home-14501989

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 6:17 PM

There’s a liquor license application posted in the window of the old daily jam location just south of Roosevelt. The business name just says “hamburguesas y cervezas”. The windows have all been taped and blocked off as well so perhaps interior work has started.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
There’s a liquor license application posted in the window of the old daily jam location just south of Roosevelt. The business name just says “hamburguesas y cervezas”. The windows have all been taped and blocked off as well so perhaps interior work has started.
Awsome, I am shocked those spaces on that corner have been empty for so long.

Seems like a perfect spot for a general mass appeal sports bar.

Downtown really needs one.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Awsome, I am shocked those spaces on that corner have been empty for so long.

Seems like a perfect spot for a general mass appeal sports bar.

Downtown really needs one.
Absolutely. Not every place needs to be $16 craft cocktails.

I would love someone to open a midwest style game watching bar with easy pub food and cheap drinks.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
Absolutely. Not every place needs to be $16 craft cocktails.

I would love someone to open a midwest style game watching bar with easy pub food and cheap drinks.
Agreed... but are those places possible in a "prime" location? I imagine rent is pretty high in spots in or near downtown, especially newer nice buildings and spaces.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 5:39 PM

Hopefully this means the main corner space gets leased up as well now that both Union Phase 2 / Saiya are under construction.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2022, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Agreed... but are those places possible in a "prime" location? I imagine rent is pretty high in spots in or near downtown, especially newer nice buildings and spaces.
Agree totally but there remains a lot of crappy buildings downtown that one could breathe life into. Or the first floor of a commercial tower perhaps.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 11:27 PM

Young Founders Of Chico Malo, Wren And Wolf Evolve Alongside Downtown

Nice article on the couple behind Chico Malo / Wren & Wolf. Highlight of the article is that they plan on opening up a new bar concept (next to Wren & Wolf) in the next couple of months.

https://dtphx.org/2022/09/28/dtphx-i...wren-and-wolf/

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 11:36 PM
Modulator

Cupbop

I noticed today while walking by Block 23, they are adding yet another retail pad to the block. This one will be a Korean BBQ in a bowl concept called Cupbop (https://www.block23phx.com/cupbop.html) and will be located on Washington between Chase and the parking garage exit.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 12:18 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I noticed today while walking by Block 23, they are adding yet another retail pad to the block. This one will be a Korean BBQ in a bowl concept called Cupbop (https://www.block23phx.com/cupbop.html) and will be located on Washington between Chase and the parking garage exit.
I tried Cupbop at Desert Ridge once. It didn't impress me. It's sort of an attempt to offer a Chipotle experience with Korean food. The trouble is that they go only halfway with the cutomization. I'm not a fan of build-your-own food concepts, but if a place uses that approach, they should go all the way with it. For sauces, all you can specify is a spice level. I said 7 out of 10, and what I got was a gloppy mix of mayo-like sauces. I would have preferred to have had the ability to just tell them which specific sauces I wanted. The final indignity was the recommendation to shake the cup so that everything mixes. The works in a traditonal Korean bibimbap where you're dealing with simple ingredients, but at Cupbop, the meal just turned into a mess.

Last edited by exit2lef; Sep 30, 2022 at 4:35 PM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 12:51 AM

Saw on Bitter & Twisted IG page that the bar is being bought out for this month and will be closed so that the Developer/Construction company can finish construction for the new Moxy Hotel. It also mentioned hotel is opening up Spring 2023.

Missed opportunity as it won't be opening up for SB LVII.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 3:33 PM
self-important urbanista

There's been some mention here a while back that Pomo Pizzeria was moving from its current location to a new one at CityScape where the Strand Italian restaurant used to be. I walked by yesterday and saw a building permit sign confirming that. It appears renovations are underway and that Pomo will be moving about a third of a mile down First Street in the near future. I wonder what's going to happen to Pomo's current building. I think Chambers will be the only tenant left after Pomo leaves.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
There's been some mention here a while back that Pomo Pizzeria was moving from its current location to a new one at CityScape where the Strand Italian restaurant used to be. I walked by yesterday and saw a building permit sign confirming that. It appears renovations are underway and that Pomo will be moving about a third of a mile down First Street in the near future. I wonder what's going to happen to Pomo's current building. I think Chambers will be the only tenant left after Pomo leaves.
I would love for another restaurant to take of this location (and the now shuttered Flor De Calabaza space as well).

If I remember correctly, the ASU owned parking lot just North of here (SEC) of 1st St and McKinley is supposed to be transferred over to the City of Phoenix at some point right? (unless it happened already). And Phoenix was supposed to give ASU the current land where the Mercado sits at. I'm sure Phoenix would want housing here. And then the RFP for the city-owned parking lot directly across from Pomo will be going up pretty soon.

Future housing could support all these possible future bars/restaurants.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 3:53 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
I would love for another restaurant to take of this location (and the now shuttered Flor De Calabaza space as well).

If I remember correctly, the ASU owned parking lot just North of here (SEC) of 1st St and McKinley is supposed to be transferred over to the City of Phoenix at some point right? (unless it happened already). And Phoenix was supposed to give ASU the current land where the Mercado sits at. I'm sure Phoenix would want housing here. And then the RFP for the city-owned parking lot directly across from Pomo will be going up pretty soon.

Future housing could support all these possible future bars/restaurants.
True, but I could also see the building that has housed those three restaurants being demolished so that the land undernearth could be merged with the parking lot to the north, creating a bigger opportunity for housing development.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 3:59 PM

Quote:
True, but I could also see the building that has housed those three restaurants being demolished so that the land undernearth could be merged with the parking lot to the north, creating a bigger opportunity for housing development.
That my was thought as well but lots of moving pieces to assemble those lots. And at the pace the city moves, who knows when this land swap w/ ASU would even occur and THEN issue the RFP, etc. Rather have some retail in the mean time versus another demolished lot.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Whoever owns those buildings is angling for apartment development obvsiously

What I dont like is they are getting rid of a nice little strip of businesses in what will inevitably be boring souless apartments with crappy ground floor retail if any at all.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2022, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Whoever owns those buildings is angling for apartment development obvsiously

What I dont like is they are getting rid of a nice little strip of businesses in what will inevitably be boring souless apartments with crappy ground floor retail if any at all.
That building isn't anything to cry over. Pomo is great. Chambers is whatever. The other tenants have been inconsistent. The building appears to be in terrible shape. A multiuse project in the area is good for density. If it was historic or cool looking I'd be more sympathetic.

The proximity to ASU makes it ripe for a tower of micro apartments with first floor retail. Heck this would be a perfect location for a Trader Joe's or similar grocer because it's walkable to most new multifam developments.

This is where the city's lack of creativity makes me mad. They claim they have few tools for redevelopment. They could craft a deal with a developer where they use the city portion of the sales tax collections on site to pay for a garage on the CoP land (or future land) that could serve the broader area (plus parking revs). And if the retail/grocer/podium occupies the first few floors, the medium rise garage doesn't block the views of the apartments above.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest