HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 1:56 PM

Slightly revised May 2021 renders for 2025 Corydon residential tower. The floor plan shows the units are quite large (I guess expected for that area given the other three towers there have similar sized floor plans in the 1,300 to 1,500 square foot range).

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 1:59 PM

Looks like it's in line with the other residential towers in that area which are definitely at the higher end by Winnipeg standards.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
I think Pollard is doing great work and this is a great project. But it makes me wonder why our governments aren’t providing these types of facilities without needing a private sector individual to step in.
Long story, but the Feds used to build tons of housing. I believe tens of thousands of units per year at the peak, but I'd have to check. They cut back under Mulroney and then stopped completely in the 'lean mean 90s.'

More recently, their contribution was to sign operating agreements for mortgages with housing providers like Westminster Housing. However, many of those agreements have now expired and several of these providers face selling properties or raising rents to stem their loss of revenue.

Here in Canada the philosophy has generally been to use new home construction to prime the economy, instead of investing in affordable housing.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 3:58 PM

There's probably a lot of Tuxedo/RH residents pissed they put a deposit down at Taylor Claire apartments to live in a Walmart parking lot now that this is going up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
According to the City Centre Community agenda, the 109 Mayfair proponent is asking for a time extension as the City is requesting 10 m easement along the river for a 3-4 m active transportation pathway. Wasn't aware they were looking at building a river walk / AT system on the south side of the Assiniboine.
That would be fantastic, I wonder if this is a/the possible alternative (or even better an addition) to putting a bike lane on River since its already fairly tight. I'd love to see a south side path built at ground level instead of river level so at least in flood years (which is most it seems now) the south side path can be open while the north side is closed.

This could be part of what The Forks is working on for the Go To Waterfront plan. The realist in me unfortunately is just wondering if there's zero plan but the city just wants to reserve the space for maybe something in the future.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 4:09 PM

Yes, I think it’s one of those issues that falls through the cracks when it comes to fighting over who is responsible between different levels of government. My view is that it is a social need that should be addressed through government action, rather relying on the whim of a wealthy individual, however noble. Not a knock against Pollard, he cares about the city.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 4:23 PM

It's unfortunate that it takes private money to do it - but hopefully if the model proves successful, it's all the proof the gov needs to accelerate this type of housing/support solution. This gov is all about ROI so if it works I could see them (and would frankly support) funnelling money from other current programs into something like this. Sorry, but the United Way can find private money. They're one of the reasons for the decay of north Main.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 10:27 PM

Is there any movement on the old Manitoba Housing sites on Mayfair?

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
Slightly revised May 2021 renders for 2025 Corydon residential tower. The floor plan shows the units are quite large (I guess expected for that area given the other three towers there have similar sized floor plans in the 1,300 to 1,500 square foot range).

Is this going somewhere in the parking lot of the Tuxedo Shopping Centre?

Edit: Oh yeah I can see Safeway behind it. So by the Shell station at the corner of Tuxedo and Corydon?

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 10:57 PM

NIMBY's on Nextdoor getting mad about residential plans for 3707 Roblin (Chapman School).

https://www.richardwintrup.com/3707roblin

If you look at the recorded Zoom event, there's a 6 story multi-family building with some underground parking along Roblin with two story townhouses behind. The lot runs from Roblin to Vialoux along Alcrest.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 11:13 PM
surely you agree with me

Wow. Those are big units in that mini me 360 Main. Huge amount of closet space. Be interesting to see the prices.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Is this going somewhere in the parking lot of the Tuxedo Shopping Centre?

Edit: Oh yeah I can see Safeway behind it. So by the Shell station at the corner of Tuxedo and Corydon?
Not by the Shell station, it's bye to the Shell station. This building will be where the Shell is currently.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Wow. Those are big units in that mini me 360 Main. Huge amount of closet space. Be interesting to see the prices.
$750k - $1M+? The 2 or 3 year old 139 Tuxedo down the street has a 1600 square foot 2-bedroom penthouse on the market for just over a million. Still lots of seniors in Tuxedo looking to downsize I imagine.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Not by the Shell station, it's bye to the Shell station. This building will be where the Shell is currently.
No one wants to pay $1M for a condo to look out at a gas station I guess!

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 1:22 PM

Similar sized 2BR units in the three buildings to the north go for $400,000 to $600,000 depending on how they are finished. You see a few on MLS right now. There will be premium for a new build at this one though.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 8:36 PM

The hideous condos that were just built on the Rady Centre field sold out extremely fast and were also quite pricey. I don't think this will have any issues selling.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The hideous condos that were just built on the Rady Centre field sold out extremely fast and were also quite pricey. I don't think this will have any issues selling.
I looked at the listing for one suite on the market... I mean, it's nice, but it certainly doesn't look million dollar nice. I'm surprised there's a market for that product.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I looked at the listing for one suite on the market... I mean, it's nice, but it certainly doesn't look million dollar nice. I'm surprised there's a market for that product.
There's likely a lot of people who would never live anywhere except Tuxedo, but very few options for downsizing without going to the more seniors home-esque condos on Portsmouth. Probably just filled as a default to having few other options.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
that place looks like a condo if it were designed by the attendees at a variance hearing

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
that place looks like a condo if it were designed by the attendees at a variance hearing
If I was drinking something when I read that it would have been sprayed all over my screen

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 2:44 PM

It's like Princeton Greek frat house chic on a Booth College budget.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan