HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Hyde Park is really known for its old warehouse buildings, so it's a fitting addition.
I get that this type of building isn't in Hyde Park's traditional vernacular, but let just say that she's a beaut! Fits the corner nicely, great brick work, big windows. And the icing is that the Mesler restaurant is pretty darn good. A real win.

Last edited by Jim in Chicago; Apr 12, 2019 at 2:23 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 7:55 PM
tilted & shifted

Web cam for the Rubenstein Forum

You need to have Flash Player enabled to view it. Works best in IE.
http://webcampub.multivista.com/inde...7-CBF20B3E6743

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
What year is it?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 3:19 AM
Show me the blueprints

Honestly I don't know anymore

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Web cam for the Rubenstein Forum

http://webcampub.multivista.com/inde...7-CBF20B3E6743
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
What year is it?
Clearly enabled for the 3 people in the world who still use IE.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 5:02 PM
THAT Guy

No one posted the big news that Trader Joe's is (partially) replacing the vacant Treasure Island? Should be a big boost for the neighborhood.

Also, updated rendering of the next phase of Harper Court, the Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation:

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
No one posted the big news that Trader Joe's is (partially) replacing the vacant Treasure Island? Should be a big boost for the neighborhood.

Also, updated rendering of the next phase of Harper Court, the Polsky Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation:

Any updates about this? Haven't heard anything in a long while.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 4:30 AM

Last edited by Urbana; Feb 26, 2024 at 4:02 AM.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
As someone who lives in the neighborhood, TJ's was second to last on my list (only before Aldi). I was hoping for an actual full-service grocery store, instead of another store targeting the same demographic as Hyde Park Produce, Whole Foods, and Open Produce.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 12:52 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeNES View Post
As someone who lives in the neighborhood, TJ's was second to last on my list (only before Aldi). I was hoping for an actual full-service grocery store, instead of another store targeting the same demographic as Hyde Park Produce, Whole Foods, and Open Produce.
Well, there's the Jewel at 61st and Cottage...

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeNES View Post
Talking smack about Aldi should be illegal...

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 10:43 PM
Show me the blueprints

For real. Aldi doesn't pretend to be a normal grocery. Everyone knows its for the lowest priced staples and almost perfect record of having certain house brand foods who's inferiority to the name brand is immediately noticeable. Everyone knows that. It's for folks like myself who don't mind paying much less for raisins that are dry, sticky and have sand in them, knock off cereal that tastes about 70% like the real thing, tortilla chips that double as drink coasters, and super cheap sandwich cheese where Sargento would cost about twice as much. The milk tastes the same as it uses the same brand name cows as the other guys. The bread is well very bready and trying to say there's a difference is like that famous humiliating wine test that everyone sites as why wine experts are full of shit. And Haribo gummies for .89 cents! Aldi is for folks who either absolutely have to or don't mind paying less for certain foods that they know darn well aren't as good as the name brands but that maximizing their dollar is their number one priority.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 11:13 PM
The City

I'd like to see.......

None of the above.

Tear that suburban wasteland down and replace it with multistory mixed use buildings

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
For real. Aldi doesn't pretend to be a normal grocery. Everyone knows its for the lowest priced staples and almost perfect record of having certain house brand foods who's inferiority to the name brand is immediately noticeable. Everyone knows that. It's for folks like myself who don't mind paying much less for raisins that are dry, sticky and have sand in them, knock off cereal that tastes about 70% like the real thing, tortilla chips that double as drink coasters, and super cheap sandwich cheese where Sargento would cost about twice as much. The milk tastes the same as it uses the same brand name cows as the other guys. The bread is well very bready and trying to say there's a difference is like that famous humiliating wine test that everyone sites as why wine experts are full of shit. And Haribo gummies for .89 cents! Aldi is for folks who either absolutely have to or don't mind paying less for certain foods that they know darn well aren't as good as the name brands but that maximizing their dollar is their number one priority.
Amen

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I'd like to see.......

None of the above.

Tear that suburban wasteland down and replace it with multistory mixed use buildings

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
My wife and I exclusively shop at ALDI and we certainly do not have to. Many members of my friends and family do as well. No idea where you get this idea that their products are inferior. Most of the products are produced by the same companies just with different labels. Cost difference goes to fund product advertising.

Funny you cite raisins as 95% of the global crop comes from the same growers/producers and are sold via an industry controlled co-op. They are literately exactly the same. (My company runs advertising for one of the big raisin brands)

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 10:15 PM
The City

My parents shop at Aldi Aldi time

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 10:22 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
My wife and I exclusively shop at ALDI and we certainly do not have to. Many members of my friends and family do as well. No idea where you get this idea that their products are inferior. Most of the products are produced by the same companies just with different labels. Cost difference goes to fund product advertising.

Funny you cite raisins as 95% of the global crop comes from the same growers/producers and are sold via an industry controlled co-op. They are literately exactly the same. (My company runs advertising for one of the big raisin brands)
There's a lot of facetiousness in there in case you didn't pick up on it. I love Aldi, and did not imply that only people that have to shop there, I say that pretty clearly. But you're crazy if you think that all their house brands are of the same quality as the brand name makers that many supply Aldi with. The raisins are case in point. Go buy a box of Sun Maid and a box from Aldi and tell me the Aldi raisins aren't seconds or questionable with the sticky syrup and stems on every fifth raisin. Snacks exactly the same. You'd have to be drunk to think Clancy's are as good as most the name brands.

As a side note, this is probably the goofiest discussion I've ever taken part in on SSP.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 10:26 PM
Show me the blueprints

I went to Austria and literally spent about a cumulative 2 hours trying to find a canvas tote bag from Hofer I could bring home with me. That's how much I like Aldi, so please.

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 10:42 PM

I can’t wait for the next phase of Harper Court . The area is coming along nice. 53 street corridor is always busy and full of life .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development