HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

516 Fifth Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 1, 2016, 10:24 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

They have a pretty good capital partner. Chinese capital, like in the CPT tower, is being injected into this project.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 11:11 PM

I don't like the cantilever one or the parasitic dead twin/fetus thing on the other.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 3:46 PM

Movement on site as of today, looks like the start of excavation. First time I've seen active equipment here, maybe ever.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 6:23 PM

First Full Look at SMI /Ceruzzi's Planned Fifth Avenue Supertower
December 20, 2016
Quote:
Things have been quiet over at the site of 520 Fifth Avenue for the past year. The prime corner lot at West 43rd Street is expected to yield a much-anticipated 71-story tower spearheaded by Ceruzzi Properties and the U.S. arm of Shanghai Municipal Investment, SMI USA. The residential-retail project was slated to break ground this past spring, but construction work hasn’t occurred since the pre-existing buildings were demolished in 2014. The lot was picked up by the developers for $275 million in 2015 and has roughly 300,000 buildable square feet.Presently the lot holds a make-shift holiday market, and building permits filed by Handel Architects two years ago remain unapproved.

More photos and info in the post here.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 7:08 PM
New Yorker for life

So they are staying with that design...

Quote:
ZUM3D’s rendering may not depict the final appearance of the building. Last October, the New York Observer reported that Handel is tweaking the design to include pied-à-terre apartments on its lower floors in lieu of an initially planned 150-180 room hotel.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 12:19 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Any real estate developer can tell you that carving out your own piece of Manhattan is no small challenge, which is why taking advantage of East Midtown’s recent rezoning and cashing in on newly-available air rights has been the leading strategy for New York real estate professionals as of late. 520 5th avenue is one such example of aggressive development right in the heart of Manhattan. Purchased by Ceruzzi Properties and Chinese partner SMI US for a grand total of $325 million, the sleek modern design promises to change the New York skyline for the better.

Bringing 180,000 square feet of luxury condos, 150 hotel rooms, and first-floor retail space that hopes to fetch upwards of $1,000 per square foot, it is a project worthy of the world-class developers who are bringing it to life. And while not all the specifics of the building’s future life are set in stone, it seems certain that the building will hold a prominent place between 43rd and 44th streets.

If you have been paying attention, you’ve probably seen our 3D rendering for the project, which has been popping up on architecture and real estate sites all over the web. It features 71 stories of lustrous glass façade, coating its sharply-rendered wedge-shape design. And while the countless towering floors of condo space give you an idea of the amount of room available, close-up views of the first five floors show how any savvy retailer could take advantage of this spot. Using a dynamic camera angle, and filling the surrounding streets and sidewalks with the typical traffic you would expect to find in the center of Manhattan, it leaves the viewer with the impression of something fresh and exciting.

It isn’t the first large-scale project ZUM3D has had their hand in in New York City, and it certainly won’t be the last. Whether it’s in the nation’s biggest metropolis, our fastest-growing tech center, or any one of a number of upcoming markets, our job is to lend our vision to those who are building the future.
================================
http://zum3d.com/520-5th-avenue-shap...ive-work-play/

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 11:37 PM
Fake News

Ick! NYC deserves better. This is an abortion of a design.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 4:27 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
So they are staying with that design...

Its not that bad, I kind of like it although it would fit better on Times Square.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 6:15 AM

"Its not that bad, I kind of like it although it would fit better on Times Square."
- ILNY (just above)

as per usual, there's probably a lot of dramatic distortion in this rendering . .
meant to sell us on the design . .
even really bad buildings can be made to look great & imposing . .
with the right distortion emphasizing the good, playing down the bad . .
epic skies, golden sunset light, enhanced perspective . .
elimination of surrounding buildings, etc . .
it's really hard to tell the shape of the 520 5th Ave tower,
from this particular rendering . .

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 1:26 PM
New Yorker for life

It has a small touch of 500 5th Avenue to it (the classic building just to the south).

That "cutaway" portion needs work though.

http://replicabuildings.com/500-5th-Avenue.html

It's going to rise up just behind this.

Anomalous_A

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 3:17 PM
Walk taker

I'd love to get a clear sense of how the contributors to this forum feel about development and demolition. I consider myself part of a contingent that values cohesive urban planning and contextual architecture over sheer height; I imagine this might put me in the minority.

I bring this up because this development makes me a bit heartsick. The two grand buildings pulled down for this project had, to my mind, much more value in their beauty and integration into the fabric of the city. Their replacement can only exceed them in height; its design is arguably bland, it sits awkwardly on the corner, and the street-level portions of the building are designed to be ignored. The tower doesn't have any relation to its surroundings, essentially anonymizing this section of Manhattan.

I love tall buildings, but I love a well maintained city more. How do you feel about this subject?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 4:30 PM
New Yorker for life

^ I think you need to take that discussion to the buildings&architecture forum, we did have a thread fo it.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 10:03 PM

I can't believe this site hasn't been developed yet. The wait is absolutely brutal to have such a prime 5th location filled.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 10:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
I can't believe this site hasn't been developed yet. The wait is absolutely brutal to have such a prime 5th location filled.
A construction permit was granted 2 years ago. The property has changed hands, but it doesn't look like the design has changed.

Either way, there looks to be something stirring there.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 1:22 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: walpole

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 2:28 AM
New Yorker for life

April 11, 2017

Old Posted Apr 12, 2017, 12:45 PM

So basically in all those recent pics, the machinery hasn't moved?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddguy View Post
I don't like the cantilever one or the parasitic dead twin/fetus thing on the other.
Best description for it I've heard so far...

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 3:56 PM

Construction Finally Set to Begin at 520 Fifth Avenue?
April 17, 2017
Quote:
One of the most prime development sites in Manhattan is finally coming back to life. An excavator has moved onto the long-vacant parcel at 520 Fifth Avenue, signifying that construction of a proposed retail and condo tower may be looming. The corner property is owned by Ceruzzi Properties and Shanghai Municipal Investment’s (SMI) who plan a 71-story retail and condo tower designed by Handel Architects. Construction was slated to begin last spring, but since then, no movement has occurred at the site, besides the erection of a makeshift holiday market in December.

More DETAILS here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction