HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #8161  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 10:34 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 12,448
Thank goodness Montreal still has views where you can see and appreciate older urban fabric. As much as I love Toronto's skyline, because let's face it..it's fucking huge, it's substantial older pre-war urban fabric is not visible at all unless you're physically on Bay street. Montreal has got layers of depth to it that a larger and taller skyline like Calgary does not.

Not a diss on Calgary's skyline though. It is positively giant.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8162  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 10:49 PM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Thank goodness Montreal still has views where you can see and appreciate older urban fabric. As much as I love Toronto's skyline, because let's face it..it's fucking huge, it's substantial older pre-war urban fabric is not visible at all unless you're physically on Bay street. Montreal has got layers of depth to it that a larger and taller skyline like Calgary does not.

Not a diss on Calgary's skyline though. It is positively giant.
That picture is one of the most arresting image of any skyline pic in Canada. It’s exceptional. Yet it got zero reaction on this forum. The forum has become a bunch of insular solitudes frozen in envy, indifference, insecurity and even pure jealousy. I wonder why I even bother.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8163  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 11:22 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 12,448
Some of the pictures I've taken in the past 2 weeks or so. Part II.


Gleneagles_2020_10_13 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr


McGill_College_Avenue_2020_04_01 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr


RL_2020_10_13_28 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr


RL_2020_10_13_26 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr


RL_2020_10_13_31 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr


McGill_College_(01)_2020_10_13 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr


Alleyway_(01)_2020_10_13 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr


RL_2020_10_13_11 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr


Atwater_Friend_2020_10_13 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr


A_Temple_2020_10_15 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr


A_Monolith_2020_10_15 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr


A_Tree_02_2020_10_18 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr


A_Skyline_03_2020_10_18 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr


A_Skyline_02_2020_10_18 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr


A_Skyline_01_2020_10_18 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr


An_Alleyway_02_2020_10_08 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr


A_Reflection_2020_10_08 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr


An_Alleyway_2020_10_08 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr


An_Apartment_2020_10_10 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr


A_Forest_2020_10_15 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr


A_Tree_2020_10_15 by Foofoo MacShoe, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8164  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 11:39 PM
le calmar's Avatar
le calmar le calmar is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
That picture is one of the most arresting image of any skyline pic in Canada. It’s exceptional. Yet it got zero reaction on this forum. The forum has become a bunch of insular solitudes frozen in envy, indifference, insecurity and even pure jealousy. I wonder why I even bother.
The attitude on here can sometimes vary between indifference and passive-agressiveness, but I am sure most appreciate your pictures, they just don’t bother commenting (including myself I reckon). My favourite type is the “nice pics of X and Y” while Z is being ignored (on purpose?) despite the fact some of the pics showcasing it are exceptional. I always find those “elephant in the room” type of comments funny. But anyways, I appreciate the pics you share. And also, I agree that one in particular was exceptional.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8165  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 11:47 PM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
The attitude on here can sometimes vary between indifference and passive-agressiveness, but I am sure most appreciate your pictures, they just don’t bother commenting (including myself I reckon). My favourite type is the “nice pics of X and Y” while Z is being ignored (on purpose?) despite the fact some of the pics showcasing it are exceptional. I always find those “elephant in the room” type of comments funny. But anyways, I appreciate the pics you share. And also, I agree that one in particular was exceptional.
You don’t know how many times I noticed that, especially recently. It’s kind of depressing and it goes to show how much there are still futile rivalry and insecurity (should I say even pettiness?) among some forumers. Me, I never feel threatened by an amazing picture from another city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8166  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 11:50 PM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,621
And Rico, thanks for your revived contribution with your great pics. Really appreciated. Go on please.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8167  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2020, 11:51 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 25,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
You don’t know how many times I noticed that, epecially recently. It’s kind of depressing and it goes to show how much there are still futile rivalry and insecurity (should I say even pettiness?) among some forumers. Me, I never feel threatened by an amazing picture from another city.
I will say I like most of the pictures on here (except for those from YOU KNOW WHICH CITY ). But I don't often comment something like "nice pictures".

I think the photo and construction update content, etc. is the most valuable part of the forum.

As a caveat I think Instagram itself has in some ways reduced the variety of photos compared to the old photo threads (e.g. lots of people taking pictures of the same stuff versus planning out in depth series, lots of people adding the same filters). Not a comment about SSP, just that platform. And Flickr has been in decline for a long time it seems.

One aspect of photography that's always varied is whether people see themselves as documenting vs. creating impactful photos. An example is a photos of all of the buildings along a street versus a dramatic sunset shot.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8168  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 12:05 AM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I will say I like most of the pictures on here (except for those from YOU KNOW WHICH CITY ). But I don't often comment something like "nice pictures".

I think the photo and construction update content, etc. is the most valuable part of the forum.

As a caveat I think Instagram itself has in some ways reduced the variety of photos compared to the old photo threads (e.g. lots of people taking pictures of the same stuff versus planning out in depth series, lots of people adding the same filters). Not a comment about SSP, just that platform. And Flickr has been in decline for a long time it seems.

One aspect of photography that's always varied is whether people see themselves as documenting vs. creating impactful photos. An example is a photos of all of the buildings along a street versus a dramatic sunset shot.
Yet I make a concerted effort to choose pictures that bring original, hopefully novel angles or not often published sight. I actually go through hundreds of Instagram pics to make a selection.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8169  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 12:09 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 25,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
Yet I make a concerted effort to choose pictures that bring original, hopefully novel angles or not often published sight. I actually go through hundreds of Instagram pics to make a selection.
Yes, I appreciate your selections. I find there aren't really great general-purpose photography communities online right now, at least that I know of.

Another thing I have noticed, obvious, is that there's been a shift to phone cameras. Even though I have a nicer camera I notice I use it less now. The camera phone quality has improved but they don't have the same optics. There are many really good photos taken with phones but they cover a narrower range of what is possible with photography.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8170  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 12:16 AM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Yes, I appreciate your selections. I find there aren't really great general-purpose photography communities online right now, at least that I know of.

Another thing I have noticed, obvious, is that there's been a shift to phone cameras. Even though I have a nicer camera I notice I use it less now. The camera phone quality has improved but they don't have the same optics. There are many really good photos taken with phones but they cover a narrower range of what is possible with photography.
Yes that is true. Usually, pics found on Flickr are often more epic. But I choose to concentrate on Instagram for the wealth of possibilities. Also they are very light pics that don’t bugger down the thread even with a bad connection.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8171  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 1:51 AM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cold Garden
Posts: 21,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
Thank goodness Montreal still has views where you can see and appreciate older urban fabric. As much as I love Toronto's skyline, because let's face it..it's fucking huge, it's substantial older pre-war urban fabric is not visible at all unless you're physically on Bay street. Montreal has got layers of depth to it that a larger and taller skyline like Calgary does not.

Not a diss on Calgary's skyline though. It is positively giant.
That would be because y'all were 300 years old and were already building high rises (New York Life Building) when Calgary was being initially settled Calgary's definitely got layers, just nothing comparable to Montreal in that respect, because of those facts.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
That picture is one of the most arresting image of any skyline pic in Canada. It’s exceptional. Yet it got zero reaction on this forum. The forum has become a bunch of insular solitudes frozen in envy, indifference, insecurity and even pure jealousy. I wonder why I even bother.
The sets you post are great, but posting 30 to 50 at a time is too much for a lot of people, and a lot of the great shots get lost in the blur. Also the fact that it's other people's work and not your own probably contributes to the indifference as well. I mean shit, no one comments on my posts and they're actually my own work. Not a big deal. To be clear though, I do think the sets you post are gorgeous.
__________________
Strong & free

'Hate is a burden, you don’t need to carry it with you.' — Annushka Volovodov
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8172  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 2:40 AM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
That would be because y'all were 300 years old and were already building high rises (New York Life Building) when Calgary was being initially settled Calgary's definitely got layers, just nothing comparable to Montreal in that respect, because of those facts.





The sets you post are great, but posting 30 to 50 at a time is too much for a lot of people, and a lot of the great shots get lost in the blur. Also the fact that it's other people's work and not your own probably contributes to the indifference as well. I mean shit, no one comments on my posts and they're actually my own work. Not a big deal. To be clear though, I do think the sets you post are gorgeous.
To be fair, I heard the complaint and, accordingly, I did reduce the number of pics in my post. The last one has 10 pictures. And Chad, your last post here had 34 pictures (I didn't mind, it was a great set).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8173  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 2:50 AM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cold Garden
Posts: 21,648
One of my personal 32 (and a few others over a period of several months) vs. several non-personal a week are different scenarios. Ten pics is great, probably anything under 20 is fine for most as to not overpower every other city trying to post in here
__________________
Strong & free

'Hate is a burden, you don’t need to carry it with you.' — Annushka Volovodov
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8174  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 5:06 AM
The Great Scaper's Avatar
The Great Scaper The Great Scaper is offline
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Victoria, B.C.
Posts: 3,140
These are some photos I've taken of Victoria B.C. this year.

Victoria B.C. Canada skyline by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Victoria B.C. Canada skyline by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Victoria B.C. Canada skyline by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Victoria B.C. Canada skyline by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Victoria B.C. Canada skyline by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Victoria B.C. Canada skyline by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Inner harbor Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Victoria B.C. by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Downtown Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Downtown Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Downtown Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Downtown Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Hanging baskets, Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Flowers downtown Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Downtown Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

New developments, Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

New condos Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

New developments by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Offices and condos downtown Victoria by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Warf Street, Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Photos of Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Victoria B.C. Canada by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Victoria B.C. Canada skyline by thegreatscaper, on Flickr

Victoria, B.C. Canada skyline by thegreatscaper, on Flickr
__________________
Be cool!!!! :)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8175  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 5:31 AM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
One of my personal 32 (and a few others over a period of several months) vs. several non-personal a week are different scenarios. Ten pics is great, probably anything under 20 is fine for most as to not overpower every other city trying to post in here
I agree with 10 to maybe 15 pics for me from now on. But I don’t think it’s fair to say I’m oberpowering every other city when in fact I post maximum twice a week; it’s not my fault if hardly anyone else post pics, in between my posts.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8176  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 6:02 AM
The Great Scaper's Avatar
The Great Scaper The Great Scaper is offline
GIVEME 550 h.p or 550 ft
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Victoria, B.C.
Posts: 3,140
Sorry if I posted too many photos.
__________________
Be cool!!!! :)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8177  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 6:20 AM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cold Garden
Posts: 21,648
That's a great set.

And fair observation Martin. Wasn't trying to be a dick.
__________________
Strong & free

'Hate is a burden, you don’t need to carry it with you.' — Annushka Volovodov
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8178  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 11:49 AM
kool maudit's Avatar
kool maudit kool maudit is offline
five one foreigner
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 11,987
The more I see of Victoria, the more I consider it a great Canadian city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8179  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 11:57 AM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Scaper View Post
Sorry if I posted too many photos.
Nah, you’re good. Great set!

I must be the exception, but I prefer robust set rather than set of only a handful of pics. I guess I’m stating the obvious :-)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8180  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 12:45 PM
le calmar's Avatar
le calmar le calmar is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I mean shit, no one comments on my posts and they're actually my own work.
I did not comment, but the shots you posted are really good btw. Nice Victoria and Montreal shots on this page too. I know how it feels to post a series of pictures people barely acknowledge, if at all, as I used to post pictures on this forum too many years ago. I am sure a lot of people are like me and pretty much only lurk on this thread without commenting much, but I thought I'd let you and the others know your contributions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:47 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.