HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
North Sydney is where the ferry to Newfoundland runs from. The other Sydney is of no consequence.
Lower Sackville vaguely rings a bell, what is it "famous" for? (I suppose I could look it up but it's more interesting to ask )

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I asked around the house (2 kids and wife are here). None of them had heard of Okotoks.
How about Maple Creek?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 4:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
How about Maple Creek?
No. I mentioned that it had palm trees and sandy, ocean-front beaches. In Saskatchewan, no less. Nobody believed me.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 4:38 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Does Sackville have anything in common with Johnny Sack?

hbo

His wife apparently had a 96-pound mole removed from her ass.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 4:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Lower Sackville vaguely rings a bell, what is it "famous" for? (I suppose I could look it up but it's more interesting to ask )
Lower Sackville is a fairly large Halifax suburb. A lot more people live in Lower Sackville than Upper Sackville.

Maybe you're thinking of the other Sackville (in NB). It has Mount Alison University.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 4:48 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Sorry, I tried to put a note when something unusual was obvious to them for a reason equally obvious to me (Kenora, Oxford House, etc.). Anyhow, Lower Sackville is because of Dad’s 12 siblings probably half of them moved there decades ago. I have at least a dozen cousins born and raised there. Today, I believe there’s only one aunt (with her husband and two adult children) left there.

It’s cute, BTW, as far as suburbs go. I have childhood memories of all my aunts/uncles having houses that looked normal on the front, but on the back they had lots of glass, ground-level patio door access to the basement, and garden paths from the patio doors down to a lake. Wharfs and canoes and kayaks and swimming. It was cool, like a summer camp, but it was just their houses.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I asked around the house (2 kids and wife are here). None of them had heard of Okotoks.
I find that very hard to believe. They obviously know Airdrie and Maple Creek but not the 'toks?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 5:39 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Sackville and Cole Harbour compete for the title of most generic lower end metro Halifax suburb. Sackville is divided into lower/middle/upper portions (which is pretty common around NS).

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 3:08 PM
Montérégien

Quote:
About exactly average Québécois IMO except for the clearly higher-than-average familiarity with Acadian NB.
I think it's all about popular culture - Chéticamp NS was featured in La Petite Séduction with Dany Turcotte and, for some reason, it left a mark. Avonlea is a fictive community of PEI, we all know why they thought of it as a real place. Caraquet is a very popular destination in NB for its acadian festivals, its tintamarre, and the nearby village historique acadien. Tracadie was popularized as the birth place of Wilfred, the first Star Académie winner in the 2000s. Moncton is simply well-known and has a presence in our minds as the biggest acadian city (and people from Université de Moncton often comment the news on TVA/LCN / it is also known that Université de Moncton delivers its Doctor fo Medicine degree in collaboration with Université de Sherbrooke). Campbellton and Edmundston are, I think, mostly known for being points of passage between the 2 provinces.

I don't think I ever talked about my acadian heritage with my in-laws. I don't think that I influenced them. IMO (and obviously), it's a tie between NB and ON when it comes to determine which other province most Québécois are familiar with.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 3:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laceoflight View Post
I think it's all about popular culture - Chéticamp NS was featured in La Petite Séduction with Dany Turcotte and, for some reason, it left a mark. Avonlea is a fictive community of PEI, we all know why they thought of it as a real place. Caraquet is a very popular destination in NB for its acadian festivals, its tintamarre, and the nearby village historique acadien. Tracadie was popularized as the birth place of Wilfred, the first Star Académie winner in the 2000s. Moncton is simply well-known and has a presence in our minds as the biggest acadian city (and people from Université de Moncton often comment the news on TVA/LCN / it is also known that Université de Moncton delivers its Doctor fo Medicine degree in collaboration with Université de Sherbrooke). Campbellton and Edmundston are, I think, mostly known for being points of passage between the 2 provinces.

I don't think I ever talked about my acadian heritage with my in-laws. I don't think that I influenced them. IMO, it's a tie between NB and ON when it comes to determine which other province most Québécois are familiar with.
NB (at least the francophone parts, which is really all that Québécois think about when it comes to NB), is basically Quebec's "little brother" province.

Ontario is the neighbour and basically the "friendly nemesis" province.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 3:13 PM
ハルウララ

This thread reminds me of this website.

A fun task if you want to time yourself or see if you can name specific cities over a certain population. Equivalent maps are available for Europe, Asia, and Brazil.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 3:14 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

For some reason, my instinct was “New York City! Albuquerque!”

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada