HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
The design of the buildings isn't an issue for me, and I agree that they're pretty much what you described. My issue with this project is the absurd amount of surface parking. This level of parking shouldn't even be necessary in one of the most transit-accessible nodes of the city (four trolley lines, several bus routes, the El, and the Media/Elwyn Line are all close by), but if it must be included, then the preferred option would be to have it buried. If this isn't possible, then the surface parking lot should be pinned up against the R3's tracks, not at the intersection. The urban design is atrocious.
Ugh. I thought we were beyond these type of mistakes where we build something that looks like it belongs on Street Road in Bensalem in the middle of a dense rowhome neighborhood. A real disgrace.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
I don't see whats so bad about the 5000 Warrington project, I was expecting something much worse. It's standard issue new construction stuff.
Location of the parking lot, right on the corner. This is the city, where how something interacts with with the street is important, not the subs where you can just drop in your factory designed apartment block anywhere and it doesn't matter.
I'm guessing the neighbors might not want a taller building looming over them, but this lot is large enough that the n/s elevation could have had a 2 or 3 story base with the upper floors set back.
The building is unfortunately the standard bull shit mix of metal panels and other crap and shows no care in acknowledging its neigborhood, but the placement on the site of these modern day soviet apartment blocks is what really stands out as being amazingly terrible.
Plus why so much parking? That's a transit rich location. Typical out of town developer who doesn't know and could care less about anything except the bottom line. These types should be required to pay a stupidity surtax, maybe around 15%.
IMO

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 2:21 AM

^the amount of parking isn’t the problem for me, it’s the orientation of the building. You could probably fit just as much parking in the back against the rails if you built along the street front instead of the opposite. It’s just silly.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
well as noted in article several weeks back the changes to the design are in reaction to feedback from the neighborhood. At the end of the day the people living nearby are the ones who have to live with the end product and their input led to what we see now.
Newsflash : nearby residents aren't urban planners, have misguided desires.

As usual, you're full of excuses. This project sucks shit. That parking lot is a disgrace.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 8:19 PM

Isn't that the one where they traded a bunch of affordable units for parking spots because the neighbors wanted parking to stay as easy as possible? Wouldn't the people that can't live there anymore be the people "living with it"?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
The design of the buildings isn't an issue for me, and I agree that they're pretty much what you described. My issue with this project is the absurd amount of surface parking. This level of parking shouldn't even be necessary in one of the most transit-accessible nodes of the city (four trolley lines, several bus routes, the El, and the Media/Elwyn Line are all close by), but if it must be included, then the preferred option would be to have it buried. If this isn't possible, then the surface parking lot should be pinned up against the R3's tracks, not at the intersection. The urban design is atrocious.
I'm going on record saying it's all trash, but hey, at least it's not N 11th.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 2:00 PM

It looks like the project along the Italian Market is getting started. A fence is up along with renderings of the project. There is also some early excavation being done on site

Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 12:19 AM

^^Very nice! For those that don't remember, here's an overview of what's going there:
http://www.rising.realestate/157-uni...talian-market/

Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 12:21 AM

Details Emerge for 112-Unit Adaptive Reuse Proposal in Olde Kensington

Current site of 1300 N. Howard Street:

Rendering of 1300 N. Howard Street:

Rendering:

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/details...in-kensington/

Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 12:43 AM

Facade Work In Progress At 1805 North Howard Street In Norris Square

Rendering:

Current progress:

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/11/1805...rd-street.html

Last edited by summersm343; Dec 1, 2021 at 4:11 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2021, 2:19 AM

^ That’s in Norris Square. 😀

Old Posted Nov 29, 2021, 10:54 PM
Chris

New Building Coming Soon at 13th & Bainbridge, At Long Last

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...e-at-long-last

Glad to see this lot filling in, although I was hoping for something a bit more substantial. Let's hope for a thoughtful design at least.

The aerial view of 2004 vs. today is something.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Newsflash : nearby residents aren't urban planners, have misguided desires.

As usual, you're full of excuses. This project sucks shit. That parking lot is a disgrace.
Thanks for the insightful comments. I know its a stretch on this forum where a handful of people know more about what people should need or want in their own neighborhood but my point was the residents pushed back for some reason and the end result is something that may or may not look better but might be more in line with their preferences as neighbors. Do you live down there? Didn't think so. It's interesting how many on here take the position that they should be able to dictate what goes into ANY neighborhood in the city based on their narrow view of what is "good" development vs bad development. Most of this standard issue new construction rental housing looks low end- let's not act like the initial iteration was going to be some masterpiece of urban design. Please.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 4:34 PM
Chris

Philadelphia leads all U.S. cities in apartment conversions since the start of 2020

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

"Philadelphia's 1,863 total converted units leads the nation over the last two years, ahead of Washington, D.C., with 1,762 units, Cleveland at 1,179 units, Chicago with 1,135 units and Los Angeles with 1,073 units. The numbers include units completed by July 2021 as well as those projected to be completed by the end of this year."

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 5:58 PM

^^ Thats really cool! IK many dont like the cities new apartments, some don't really look good, but knowing that so many warehouses, factories etc are being converted, and even getting decent sized additions to there structures to add hundreds of units is an amazing thing to me

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
^^Very nice! For those that don't remember, here's an overview of what's going there:
http://www.rising.realestate/157-uni...talian-market/
If construction is underway, and the restaurant on the corner is still open for business, I am curious what the final product will look like.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 8:00 PM
Chris

Stuart Weitzman gift allows National Museum of American Jewish History to buy back building after emerging from bankruptcy

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

"The National Museum of American Jewish History has received a large donation that will enable the institution, which recently emerged from bankruptcy, to buy back its Old City building and establish an eight-figure endowment."

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 11:44 PM
Chris

Cinema Turned Church Getting Demoed at 12th & Girard

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...at-12th-girard

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
^ That’s in Norris Square. 😀
Well gosh darn-it, you're right!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2021, 4:13 PM

Completion Nears At 28-Unit Rental Building At 171 West Berks Street In Norris Square

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/11/comp...is-square.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development