HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 15, 2023, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfan12 View Post
I think the Saskatoon YXE - Minneapolis MSP was left it out of the presser, as will it be a summer seasonal route & how well it does operated by the WS Boeing 737 remains to be seen & TBD.

Nothing is a for sure yet.
Interesting take. Could be, but all the other routes are also seasonal. It’s not really that different from all the rest so it just doesn’t make much sense to me

Old Posted Feb 18, 2023, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
From CKOM:

"The company will use its Boeing 737-800 planes on the route, which have a 174 seat capacity.

Economy flights begin at $192, with return flights starting at $146.

CJ Dushinski, vice-president of business development for the Saskatoon airport, said more details on the direct flights will be released on Friday."

The last bit might explain why there wasn't any hoopla about the transborder flight, or why it wasn't mentioned in WestJet's media release.
And details made official:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...ghts-1.6753074

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 8:30 PM

Regina airport working hard to bring U.S. flights to Queen City

https://www.cjme.com/2023/02/21/regi...to-queen-city/

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 8:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Regina airport working hard to bring U.S. flights to Queen City

https://www.cjme.com/2023/02/21/regi...to-queen-city/
Well, considering the Sask government setting the precedent of subsidizing WestJet flights from Saskatoon, don't hold your breath until we pony out more corporate welfare. We don't want to provide bus service for people, many of whom are underprivileged, in the province but we will guarantee flights for privileged people. But I digress.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Well, considering the Sask government setting the precedent of subsidizing WestJet flights from Saskatoon, don't hold your breath until we pony out more corporate welfare. We don't want to provide bus service for people, many of whom are underprivileged, in the province but we will guarantee flights for privileged people. But I digress.
That MSP flight brings in tons of tourists, mostly hunters and fishers, so I think it is more about that than subsidizing the privileged.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 9:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
That MSP flight brings in tons of tourists, mostly hunters and fishers, so I think it is more about that than subsidizing the privileged.
Having enough money to be a tourist is itself a privileged position. If the government is going to be subsidizing private industry, it should at the least be providing essential public services to its people where private industry fails to do so. That is what government is supposed to be about. Assigning "economic value" to every government decision is exactly what's wrong with society nowadays.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah I was thinking that for sure.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 9:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Yeah I was thinking that for sure.
If that is the case, why does the government need to subsidize the route? I thought this government was for the free market and not picking winners and losers, in this case hunting outfitters?

Last edited by djforsberg; Feb 21, 2023 at 10:05 PM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 10:23 PM

Quote:
If that is the case, why does the government need to subsidize the route? I thought this government was for the free market and not picking winners and losers, in this case hunting outfitters?
I suppose the answer is that WS would not do it without the subsidy. When they say they will not subsidize specific companies (at the expense of their competitors) they mean that all in the industry should potentially benefit. As I understand the policy, they can subsidize Evraz Steel's expansion, but the same deal has to be available to all steel producers (there is of course only one and they actually did this). I assume here the Government would say that AC could get the same deal on a similar route.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 10:33 PM

Quote:
I would say that with the sad affair of air connections to our province, it obviously is needed. It also isn’t just hunting outfitters but that would be one economy it will support.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 10:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I suppose the answer is that WS would not do it without the subsidy. When they say they will not subsidize specific companies (at the expense of their competitors) they mean that all in the industry should potentially benefit. As I understand the policy, they can subsidize Evraz Steel's expansion, but the same deal has to be available to all steel producers (there is of course only one and they actually did this). I assume here the Government would say that AC could get the same deal on a similar route.
I don't think that's what their policy is about. They are picking winners and losers, while being total hypocrites and the evidence is obvious.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 10:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I would say that with the sad affair of air connections to our province, it obviously is needed. It also isn’t just hunting outfitters but that would be one economy it will support.
The point is the hypocrisy. They shut down other public services, including STC and ExecAir and also the public liquor stores because they say government shouldn't be involved in business, yet they hand a giant corporation like WestJet money. It's fucking ridiculous and nothing but corporate welfare. If private industry cannot do it without subsidy, then the public should own it, or at the least be honest about what this is and stop shutting down public services at the same time.

Meanwhile, the live music industry in Sask is dead because of the government's policies. Apparently that industry is not only not good enough for subsidies but is having extra taxes applied to it in an example of the government choosing losers. Its no wonder this province is a shit hole that no one wants to come to unless they are given incentives to.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 11:10 PM

Quote:
The point is the hypocrisy. They shut down other public services, including STC and ExecAir and also the public liquor stores because they say government shouldn't be involved in business, yet they hand a giant corporation like WestJet money. It's fucking ridiculous and nothing but corporate welfare. If private industry cannot do it without subsidy, then the public should own it, or at the least be honest about what this is and stop shutting down public services at the same time.

Meanwhile, the live music industry in Sask is dead because of the government's policies. Apparently that industry is not only not good enough for subsidies but is having extra taxes applied to it in an example of the government choosing losers. Its no wonder this province is a shit hole that no one wants to come to unless they are given incentives to.
I am not a fan of corporate subsidies, but this is actually only a minimum revenue guarantee of $2.2 million, so hopefully it costs nothing or very little. I have not seen the analysis but I assume there is a huge economic spin off for this sort of thing.

As far as the Government owning retail stores or bus lines that is ridiculous and should have been ended decades ago.

I don't know what Tammy Robert is saying about the music industry because she blocks everyone that is not part of her echo chamber.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 11:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I am not a fan of corporate subsidies, but this is actually only a minimum revenue guarantee of $2.2 million, so hopefully it costs nothing or very little. I have not seen the analysis but I assume there is a huge economic spin off for this sort of thing.
You really have a lot of trust in this government that has been nothing but incompetent since they took office. I don't know why but there's no excuse unless you are either severely misinformed or are part of the inner circle that benefits from their policies.

Quote:
As far as the Government owning retail stores or bus lines that is ridiculous and should have been ended decades ago.
Oh boy. I won't get into liquor but you're against public transportation? No public transportation makes money but it has benefits for the people who use it, like I did.

Quote:
I don't know what Tammy Robert is saying about the music industry because she blocks everyone that is not part of her echo chamber.
If you know anything about the history of abusive behaviour towards her, you shouldn't be surprised that she has a restricted account. I would hope you don't support what has been done to her by the likes of John Gormley and his friends including in government. My bad for posting it as I should have known better. It goes like this (it's references the PST that has been added to ticket sales):

Quote:
You like concerts?
Get used to traveling for that too (if you can get a flight out of Sask, natch.)
I've got a piece coming out on global concert tours that are skipping Sask *solely* because of @PremierScottMoe
's genius plan to tax the artist's performance.
Saskawinning!
Quote:
You may have heard music's megastars aren't super keen on ticket price f*ckery.
Their tour companies will absolutely *not* allow a higher priced ticket in Sask than Alberta.
@SaskParty
's solution?
Artist should lower their cut if they "really want" to play Sask.
Saskaspecial!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 11:51 PM

Quote:
You really have a lot of trust in this government that has been nothing but incompetent since they took office. I don't know why but there's no excuse unless you are either severely misinformed or are part of the inner circle that benefits from their policies.

Oh boy. I won't get into liquor but you're against public transportation? No public transportation makes money but it has benefits for the people who use it, like I did.

If you know anything about the history of abusive behaviour towards her, you shouldn't be surprised that she has a restricted account. I would hope you don't support what has been done to her by the likes of John Gormley and his friends including in government. My bad for posting it as I should have known better. It goes like this (it's references the PST that has been added to ticket sales):
Online bullying is wrong and I would go further to say people should be civil to each other online. On the last point, Tammy Robert is one of the most obnoxious people on SK Twitter, which is not good, but she does not deserve to be abused online. Regarding PST on concert tickets, I don't think I support that either, but isn't it mostly your despised privileged folks that buy these tickets?

I am in favour of governments owning municipal transit, but not intercity bus lines, airlines, railways, etc. These should only be regulated. As far as passenger rail (VIA), I am not convinced it has been run well by the Government, but again I have not read any research on this. I believe Government ownership is pretty universal around the world for most passenger railways, I assume for good reason. Conversely, government owned intercity bus lines are rare.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 11:56 PM

In the end, hoping Regina will get Minneapolis back. I am hopeful for some recovery for YQR (and YXE).

Old Posted Feb 22, 2023, 12:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Online bullying is wrong and I would go further to say people should be civil to each other online. On the last point, Tammy Robert is one of the most obnoxious people on SK Twitter, which is not good, but she does not deserve to be abused online.
I won't disagree that she can be extra, but she is passionate and puts out some decent journalism with her obvious anger as an inspiration. The amount of local people in Sask that wade into the deep waters like she does is few and far between.

Quote:
Regarding PST on concert tickets, I don't think I support that either, but isn't it mostly your despised privileged folks that buy these tickets?
I don't despise privileged folk. I am privileged. Ticket prices are already too high because of the monopolization of the ticketing and music industry so people like me are the only one's who can afford it. Adding PST doesn't help and it is likely having a negative effect on the tourism industry.

Quote:
I am in favour of governments owning municipal transit, but not intercity bus lines, airlines, railways, etc. These should only be regulated. As far as passenger rail (VIA), I am not convinced it has been run well by the Government, but again I have not read any research on this. I believe Government ownership is pretty universal around the world for most passenger railways, I assume for good reason. Conversely, government owned intercity bus lines are rare.
Well, I'm glad you at least recognize government ownership can be effective. But when you have neoliberal, pro-corporate governments in power and in charge of these services, they end up, surprise, ineffective. Either way, our two corporate national airlines need some kind of competition, or else air travel is going to continue to be shit and only available to people like me.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2023, 12:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
In the end, hoping Regina will get Minneapolis back. I am hopeful for some recovery for YQR (and YXE).
I wouldn't hold your breath. Regina's economy is falling behind and I don't see anything changing that any time soon. I honestly can't see Evraz lasting the decade.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2023, 12:48 AM

YQR airport approved for continued municipal tax break

Regina Airport Authority will receive over $1 million in municipal tax exemptions over the next five years.

https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...ipal-tax-break

Old Posted Feb 23, 2023, 5:49 AM

one of my last straws for deciding to leave saskatoon was how it was taking 12hrs without any delays to get to my work destinations in the US. When our neighbouring state to the south has $49 subsidized flights - in some way or other, the gov really needed to step in here. Hopefully this flight slows the flow of Sask people to Alberta even just a tiny bit. It’s tiny things like this that stil entire families from moving east or west.

Not sure how our NDP opposition can function when our “ultra right” is subsidizing airliners though Sask Party NDP coalition lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan