HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 9:00 PM

Mask mandates no longer in effect in Louisiana and New Orleans as of last Friday. New Orleans still requiring proof of vaccination or negative COVID test to enter most businesses. Very low percent positive rates of less than 1% for over a month now in the city, so things are looking good.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 9:33 PM

^ Most businesses? Like not just music venues and clubs but, like, a bookstore? That’s absolutely crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Aren't you also the guy that wants to die before you get old (just like The Who)?

Stick with investment advising or whatever you do. Perhaps being a personal life guru ain't......quite your area of specialty
I want to die before my age and physical and/or mental incapacity limits my ability to live life in a significant way. If I can still be a decent skier and run and dance and don’t look like shit at 80, then by all means I am happy to live to 80.

I’m just saying, you’re putting up with those horrendous winters and the, well, total lack of scenery or anything of interest in Illinois outside of Chicago, without even taking advantage of the benefits of one of the world’s great cities. I really can’t understand being a Chicagoland suburbanite if you’re not going to work and/or play in Chicago. And I’ve lived in both the North Shore and western burbs.

And Steely, not everyone has a choice but I suspect that TUP does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I barely communicate with anyone from high school but never-the-less, social interaction and bonding during those years, no matter how fleeting, is important.
I wasn’t talking about high school, I’m talking about younger kids. Almost no one retains elementary school friends. High school is less of an issue anyway because there’s always boarding school as an option.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 10:06 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
^ Most businesses? Like not just music venues and clubs but, like, a bookstore? That’s absolutely crazy.
That would mean Louisiana followed the science more than California. Incredible.

I will never judge that state again!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 10:52 PM

Quote:
It's a function of more than just what is being sold. Some bookstores can be wicked crowded, as for example if some popular author is doing a book signing, and you may be the lone customer in others.

CROWDED indoor spaces should continue to require masking and vaccination.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
That would mean Louisiana followed the science more than California. Incredible.

You need to know when they instituted their policies. Was it from spring 2020 as in CA or was it only after they became the epicenter of covid last summer? I don't know and am too lazy to check so I won't jump to conclusions but I'm guessing if they had these policies all along as well as were better as getting people vaccinated they wouldn't have had the tragic experienced with delta (and before that the native strain) that they have.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
It's a function of more than just what is being sold. Some bookstores can be wicked crowded, as for example if some popular author is doing a book signing, and you may be the lone customer in others.

CROWDED indoor spaces should continue to require masking and vaccination.
Why? What’s the justification? Because you might get Covid and be absolutely fine because you’re vaccinated?

Covid will always be there and we will not always continue to wear masks. It’s just people having a hard time letting go at this point.

Video Link
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 1:20 PM
The City

While not nearly as important as vaccination, Pfizer’s new drug is a game changer:

Quote:
Overall, just 0.8% of people who started treatment within three days of getting sick ended up in the hospital and no one died, while 7% of people who got a placebo in that window were later hospitalized or died. Similar results were found when the drug was started within five days of symptom onset. The result, which hasn’t been published in a medical journal, was highly statistically significant, Pfizer said.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
While not nearly as important as vaccination, Pfizer’s new drug is a game changer:
Been discussing this in the other thread but I certainly agree: A game changer.

What concerns me is it's also an excuse NOT to get vaccinated. If you know you can almost certainly avoid hospitalization and death even if unvaccinated--sort of like 10023 thinks his youth and fitness (real or imagined) do for him--you have much less motivation to get a shot. And I think that's not a good thing. The pill also apparently reduces viral transmission I'd still prefer as many people as possible were vaccinated and these oral medications be used mainly for breakthrough cases and/or the very few people who really can't be vaccinated.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 8:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

This week I went to a downtown office CBD for work for the first time since the pandemic. This was in Ottawa, where my office isn't normally (it's across the river in Gatineau) but I had something to do there. It's your pretty standard traditional North American office cluster daytime CBD.

I went there on transit.

Anyway, I didn't go there expecting anything but boy was the atmosphere ever austere. I mean downright shitty. Everyone seemed mistrustful, keeping their distance and giving each other the side-eye. There weren't any groups of office workers or even people in pairs that you'd normally see chatting or laughing with each other. Just a bunch of solo people very interested in their own shoes as they walked.

OK, a downtown office CBD on a weekday isn't usually Friendlytown or Partytown to begin with. Ottawa's is no exception.

But this was way worse than before. It was... like country people generally imagine the city to be.

Note that I've been to the downtown retail and entertainment districts of a number of Canadian cities (including Ottawa's) during the pandemic, and once things started opening up they felt relatively normal.

But this was my first time in an office-dominated CBD on a weekday.

No joy.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This week I went to a downtown office CBD for work for the first time since the pandemic. This was in Ottawa, where my office isn't normally (it's across the river in Gatineau) but I had something to do there. It's your pretty standard traditional North American office cluster daytime CBD.

I went there on transit.

Anyway, I didn't go there expecting anything but boy was the atmosphere ever austere. I mean downright shitty. Everyone seemed mistrustful, keeping their distance and giving each other the side-eye. There weren't any groups of office workers or even people in pairs that you'd normally see chatting or laughing with each other. Just a bunch of solo people very interested in their own shoes as they walked.

OK, a downtown office CBD on a weekday isn't usually Friendlytown or Partytown to begin with. Ottawa's is no exception.

But this was way worse than before. It was... like country people generally imagine the city to be.

Note that I've been to the downtown retail and entertainment districts of a number of Canadian cities (including Ottawa's) during the pandemic, and once things started opening up they felt relatively normal.

But this was my first time in an office-dominated CBD on a weekday.

No joy.
Not my experience in Toronto at all but Ottawa has always been different. Was there ever joy there even before Covid?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 11:49 PM

Once we all know there's a vaccine that will probably prevent covid but also a pill that will keep us out of the hospital for nearly certain if we do get it, it becomes less and less sensible to force draconian measures on people although I continue to believe in the "layered defense": Do everything that doesn't seem especially inconvenient/burdensome to you personally to not get it. That means I personally will likely continue to slap a KN95 on my face when entering a store but I will no longer expect everybody else there to do the same. I just am so used to doing it, it doesn't seem an issue for me. I don't think it should be for anyone but I realize others believe it's about their "freedom".

But it will also be time for businesses to bring everybody back to the office if they think their business will be enhanced by doing so. And I support making everybody get vaccinated if that passes muster in the courts--to me this is in no way "draconian". It's just stupid not to be vaccinated and I can't support a right to be stupid if it impacts others which it does.

People who think otherwise can find jobs where either there are fewer than 100 employees and mandates don't apply or they can work from home almost exclusively. Or they can get tested twice a week at their own expense (hopefully).

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 10:47 AM

^ This whole post, from your obsession with protection from a virus that most of us haven’t cared about since spring 2020, to your assumption that businesses will or should “bring everyone back to the office”, is a good demonstration of why I wish your entire generation would just go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post

It would mean they were bigger idiots than even California and I’m very disappointed in them.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 5:26 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
^ This whole post, from your obsession with protection from a virus that most of us haven’t cared about since spring 2020, to your assumption that businesses will or should “bring everyone back to the office”, is a good demonstration of why I wish your entire generation would just go away.

It would mean they were bigger idiots than even California and I’m very disappointed in them.
Your self-obsession and total lack of concern for anyone else is why I wish people like you would were found out as the sociopaths you are by your bosses and the rest of society. You will justify anything that gratfies your hedonism any way necessary and seem to be a despicable person.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 6:41 PM
The City

Quote:
Once we all know there's a vaccine that will probably prevent covid but also a pill that will keep us out of the hospital for nearly certain if we do get it, it becomes less and less sensible to force draconian measures on people although I continue to believe in the "layered defense": Do everything that doesn't seem especially inconvenient/burdensome to you personally to not get it. That means I personally will likely continue to slap a KN95 on my face when entering a store but I will no longer expect everybody else there to do the same. I just am so used to doing it, it doesn't seem an issue for me. I don't think it should be for anyone but I realize others believe it's about their "freedom".

That was entertaining. I now have Howard’s permission to NOT wear an N95 mask everywhere I go

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 6:42 PM
The City

Quote:
Your self-obsession and total lack of concern for anyone else is why I wish people like you would were found out as the sociopaths you are by your bosses and the rest of society. You will justify anything that gratfies your hedonism any way necessary and seem to be a despicable person.
It’s now a squabble between a sociopath and a germaphobe. Gentlemen, get your popcorn!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2021, 9:57 PM

California’s COVID-19 case rate now twice Florida’s — what’s up with that?

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/11/...s-up-with-that

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 3:14 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
California’s COVID-19 case rate now twice Florida’s — what’s up with that?

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/11/...s-up-with-that
Well I know at least in SF mask mandates were lifted most places on October 15th. I think mask mandates have been lifted most places for a few weeks now so I would assume that is why. Also, I am not so sure I ever trust FL numbers, and then there is the fact that more of the population in FL already got it. Apparently that new variant affecting England is here too.

On a side note I have been to the gym now for a few weeks without a mask and so far I am fine so yay.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Well I know at least in SF mask mandates were lifted most places on October 15th. I think mask mandates have been lifted most places for a few weeks now so I would assume that is why. Also, I am not so sure I ever trust FL numbers, and then there is the fact that more of the population in FL already got it. Apparently that new variant affecting England is here too.

On a side note I have been to the gym now for a few weeks without a mask and so far I am fine so yay.
It's nothing to be worried about. Besides, Florida is much worse. I think they're in the top 5-10, and California is 37-40 overrall.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 3:38 AM

Quote:

Desantis is full of shit. Yes, he hides numbers to look better poltically.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2021, 8:47 AM

Quote:

The fact that more people in Florida have already gotten Covid is the whole point of the article. Eventually everyone is going to get it. All these restrictions have done is drag this thing out.

The so-called “Delta” variant in England isn’t new, it’s been dominant over here since last winter (and in Florida since the spring).

I’ve been going to the gym without a mask since July, and of course I’m fine because I’m fully vaccinated and had Covid before that. There’s no reason to care at all anymore.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions