HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 1:37 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
Page 12 of the presentation says 2025 for the bridge. Is this the same bridge?
It's the same bridge, but I interpreted that as "2025 and onward", not "all of this will happen in 2025".

I swear I saw a 2030 date somewhere for the bridge, but this article from last September (semi-recent) says construction will begin "within 24 months".

Infrastructure in this country seems to be cursed though, and in Chicago especially, so I'll believe it when I see it. The bridge, and other infrastructure components like the 606 extension, have already been pushed back several times. I don't blame SB for focusing on the buildings, which don't require years of reviews from every alphabet agency under the sun.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It's the same bridge, but I interpreted that as "2025 and onward", not "all of this will happen in 2025".

I swear I saw a 2030 date somewhere for the bridge, but this article from last September (semi-recent) says construction will begin "within 24 months".

Infrastructure in this country seems to be cursed though, and in Chicago especially, so I'll believe it when I see it. The bridge, and other infrastructure components like the 606 extension, have already been pushed back several times. I don't blame SB for focusing on the buildings, which don't require years of reviews from every alphabet agency under the sun.
Yeah I hear ya. This is more of a 'no earlier than 2025' than a 'scheduled for 2025.'

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 5:33 PM

Jan 27

Old Posted Feb 13, 2022, 12:18 AM

Feb 10

r

Old Posted Feb 20, 2022, 3:38 AM

Feb 18

Old Posted Feb 28, 2022, 6:52 PM

Life Sciences building - 2/26. Is this topped out now..?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2022, 7:47 PM
BANNED

^Damn that went up fast. Nice to see the quick work.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2022, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
^Damn that went up fast. Nice to see the quick work.
It'll still take awhile to actually complete just due to the nature of the use of the building. But it's shot up pretty quickly which is nice.

The next few buildings are supposed to start in the next few months (Q2 or maybe Q3 - hopefully Q2). I believe that's the 2 parcels just north of the Home Depot on North Ave, near The Hideout - office/entertainment and residential.

In all honesty it's going to be weird with a giant suburban Home Depot right there. It reminds me more of stuff that was happening in Queens and Brooklyn in the years I lived there (i.e. not long ago) where developers would throw stuff up in really "MEH" areas and basically try and organically develop it into something better over the future years.

North Avenue near there though has objectively pretty bad traffic at times. I know they will offer shuttle service to both the Brown and Red lines from here but it would be cool to build a subway extension for a new line off of the Red Line to this area and then down to Goose Island for that very near future other large scale residential development too.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2022, 9:11 PM

Driving on the inbound Kennedy, I was really surprised at how visible this building was! Even the shorter buildings in this project are going to really have an impact!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2022, 9:26 PM
BANNED

Lincoln Yards will be what downtown Brooklyn/LIC is to Manhattan. Or the 78. Either way, I'm glad to see the city transforming with multiple CBD's and skylines like New York/Toronto. There's also several other megaprojects in the pipeline.

Lincoln Yards needs a new CTA stop like the 78. Metra is cool and all but CTA is key. Same with Goose Island.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2022, 9:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
It'll still take awhile to actually complete just due to the nature of the use of the building. But it's shot up pretty quickly which is nice.

The next few buildings are supposed to start in the next few months (Q2 or maybe Q3 - hopefully Q2). I believe that's the 2 parcels just north of the Home Depot on North Ave, near The Hideout - office/entertainment and residential.

In all honesty it's going to be weird with a giant suburban Home Depot right there. It reminds me more of stuff that was happening in Queens and Brooklyn in the years I lived there (i.e. not long ago) where developers would throw stuff up in really "MEH" areas and basically try and organically develop it into something better over the future years.

North Avenue near there though has objectively pretty bad traffic at times. I know they will offer shuttle service to both the Brown and Red lines from here but it would be cool to build a subway extension for a new line off of the Red Line to this area and then down to Goose Island for that very near future other large scale residential development too.
That whole clybourn/elston area by the river is an urban planning disaster. It's like someone dropped DFW suburbia into our city.

Luckily I think with Lincoln Yards and similar projects, the real estate will skyrocket and redevelopment will be inevitable.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2022, 11:54 PM

Quote:
That whole clybourn/elston area by the river is an urban planning disaster. It's like someone dropped DFW suburbia into our city.

Luckily I think with Lincoln Yards and similar projects, the real estate will skyrocket and redevelopment will be inevitable.
It's a really weird area. All those industrial areas there are just strange IMO. Since moving back to town, we've had to go near that area a bunch of times and I just kind of cringe at it (plus the entire North Ave area up til Old Town).

I do think though if this is successful, we'll probably see that area blow up. I think some of the people who have purchased property or even opened up eateries up there are smart if they can sustain it until the area gets a lot more people.

But the entire transit thing there is just a big blah. I know there's a Metra stop there (convenient for those who work downtown, I guess) and they'll have shuttles to and from the L. The place we lived in at LIC Queens had that which came in handy. Although the walk in the last few years was nicer than what this in Chicago will be right now. That took a number of years in LIC to get to that point though so we'll see.

I'm excited for all these projects in like 6+ years to see the impacts. But the transit planning of some of them is pretty terrible in certain aspects.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I could see the Home Deport get redeveloped. However, if they manage to stay put over the 20 years there will be 6,000+ new residential units right next door. I would imagine some of those residents will have a need for a home improvement store like Home Depot.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
I could see the Home Deport get redeveloped. However, if they manage to stay put over the 20 years there will be 6,000+ new residential units right next door. I would imagine some of those residents will have a need for a home improvement store like Home Depot.
Obviously. But for something potentially that dense it's not exactly attractive to be living next to a gigantic parking lot..

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Except there is literally another Home Depot right up the Kennedy off Fullerton....

I think the area will be fine with just one Home Depot instead of two.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 2:57 PM

both of those home depots are packed all day every day, no way to just have one location

further, there is ample vacant and unused property surrounding both locations of home depot so why focus on the property that is highly utilized?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 5:38 PM

LOL yeah I think Chicago could support a Home Depot in every neighborhood since pretty much all other hardware stores have closed. As much as it pains me to say that.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 5:48 PM
BANNED

I have zero problems with Home Depot. I have a problem with the suburban format of stores they choose to go with.

Look at the Home Depot in Lincoln Park. Or the one in Manhattan on W 23rd. st. Both are urban format Home Depot's that face the street with no surface lot and has parking in a garage hidden from the street.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2022, 6:12 PM

Quote:
I have zero problems with Home Depot. I have a problem with the suburban format of stores they choose to go with.

Look at the Home Depot in Lincoln Park. Or the one in Manhattan on W 23rd. st. Both are urban format Home Depot's that face the street with no surface lot and has parking in a garage hidden from the street.
I am not sure if those are full-size supporting contractors. I imagine it is eaiser for rentals and all the contractors going in and out to have some degree of surface area

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 2:03 AM

Even the one down in that weird no-mans land area near the south loop has a better street front presence with only a curbside pick up area and parking on the rooftop. Not that anyone would ever walk around down there but...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development