HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Yes, the project is at 285 Smith St, the former St Regis hotel site. Originally proposed at 42 storeys and approximately 400 units with a 650-750 stall, 10 storey parkade. They are currently working through some details with city planning and Downtown Urban Design Review.

They are likely to start some or all of the project later this year.
New tallest already??

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 12:16 PM
What could go wrong?

Well, I haven’t seen the revisions yet, but it wasn’t a new tallest before and I can’t imagine they have made it taller.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
I've seen better designs on SimCity.. this is a horrible design and Winnipeg deserves better ...just my opinion.
Tbh do we really deserve better? I’d say a building like this personifies the state of our Downtown pretty well these days.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 3:49 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

The building needs a clock.

On a more serious note, would a ten story parkade be the tallest above ground parking structure in town?

I don't recall how many levels of parking there are at the downtown Canadinn.. Formerly Radisson/Delta/Northstar Inn.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 4:33 PM
I am the law!

In 30 years and 20 of these towers later this neighbourhood will have all the character of Brickell, Miami. Hope the concept fails whether its built or not.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Well, I haven’t seen the revisions yet, but it wasn’t a new tallest before and I can’t imagine they have made it taller.
Taller than 201 portage? (I.e. second tallest?)

Would be interesting if they made it taller for whatever reason lol

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
On a more serious note, would a ten story parkade be the tallest above ground parking structure in town?

I don't recall how many levels of parking there are at the downtown Canadinn.. Formerly Radisson/Delta/Northstar Inn.
Just looking at pictures of the Radisson it looks like there are 9 levels of parking above the lobby? And if you have been in the Radisson parkade you will know it has extremely low ceiling heights. It was built in the days before trucks and SUVs in the city were a thing. So this proposed one with 11 parking levels above the main floor would definitely be taller. I can't think of any with more levels than that.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 7:51 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

I do think there are creative and aesthetically pleasing ways to do podiums with above-ground parking, just look at Marina City.

Wishing that the podium for this proposal wasn't a 10-storey hardie board box.

The second example is from Auckland, NZ

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Tbh do we really deserve better? I’d say a building like this personifies the state of our Downtown pretty well these days.
I honestly do not mind this build and I liked the Hat. We have Zero buildings of the modern era with something interesting up top. Unless you consider the lunchbox or milk cartoon one.

I do however dislike the current version of the parkade.

But seriously for the haters. Do you want another 40 plus years of an empty parking lot? This build is not going to ruin downtown. It will add alot of people which we need. And take away a massive expanse of a parking lot which is honestly not the safest place to cross in the evening. And it's not in a prime location. It's tucked behind Portage. Most won't even see the parkade. You'd see the towers though.

And the sad example we have been given of how it looks is definitely not how it will look.

The Alt looks like crap imo. But lots of you seem to like this stucco tower. I'll give the Alt one plus. It has a nice podium. But the thing above it is a disgrace. Glass House would have been alot better on top.

And a new build of this scale means Jobs. Something we need in this slow market.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 1:17 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

I would rather have a parking lot than have to look at this thing for the next 40 years of my life.

It's true that not every building will grace the cover of Architectural Digest, but if your building is going to dwarf the city and dominate the skyline for the next 300 years it should be held to a higher standard.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 1:30 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

I will go a step further and say that if the proposed Smith street tower were built at 42 storeys in North Kildonan alongside the other generic Henderson Hwy towers I would tolerate it, but not as one of downtown's most prominent buildings.

This kind of thinking that we should be glad for anything being built downtown is why we had a suburban Earls on Main Street for the last 25 years and nearly got a waterslide park and truck stop style Motel 6 across the street from the Forks.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 1:43 AM

^ at the same time this would potentially add 1,000 new residents to the Downtown and imo the most important thing for DT WPG is to densify ASAP. Even if the built form of that densification is quite lacklustre. Now that I think about it I bet DT is getting pretty close to 20k residents and this will push it over the edge.

And honestly before this proposal we were on a bit of a roll in terms of aesthetics for highrises. 300 Assiniboine is a bit generic but fits in perfectly next to Fort Garry Place; Glasshouse and D-Condo are quite pleasing to the eye; True North and ALT Hotel are also decent; and 300 Main and Wawanesa speak for themselves.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 1:55 AM

Anyone know if they’re constructing an additional unit in the GC parking lot? Seems to be some activity across from seafood city by Leila.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
This kind of thinking that we should be glad for anything being built downtown is why we had a suburban Earls on Main Street for the last 25 years and nearly got a waterslide park and truck stop style Motel 6 across the street from the Forks.
A highrise residential tower is a bit different than the Sam Katz Canalta Hotel at The Forks IMO.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 2:28 AM

Winnipeg Permit Stats for April

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 11:25 AM

200 Waterfront $1.5 mil, that an expensive reno, anyone know details?

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 12:26 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Inner-city Winnipeg housing complex sits vacant, up for sale only 12 years after it was built | CBC News

Future uncertain for Centre Village, which won architectural awards but was criticized by tenants

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ium%3Dsharebar

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 12:35 PM

^Classic example of a cluster of rose-coloured-glasses-wearing organizations patting each other on the backs without having any realistic idea of what actually goes on in a neighbourhood like that once the cameras and media scrum have all gone home. This idea that a shiny new building which checks the housing box is going to immediately solve all the problems that low-income people often have.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 12:45 PM

I just saw that article and yikes talk about a disaster.

That’s the one thing I have to really criticize about the Architecture profession is the desire for aesthetics without the consideration of practicality or general site context. Of course I hate generalizing an entire profession because there are architects who truly want to improve an area. However, a lot of my peers studying in the architecture department are much more concerned with having nice renders then actually solving issues. Of course the professors enable and even support this mindset so they are to blame as well.

Site analysis is one of the most important steps which include having to look into the built form AND prevailing issues in the surrounding context. I think 546 was naive in thinking a building with that many doors would work in that area considering the amount of break ins to single-family houses. The sad thing is it would have worked if it was just a simple apartment block (that is prevalent all over Central Park).

Also, the interiors were a mess. I mean didn’t the units essentially have a floor just for a kitchen? Very unsuitable layouts for their target demographic which were families.

Old Posted May 30, 2022, 2:11 PM

I think 546 was the victim of unfortunate timing on that project. In the years leading up to Centre Village's construction when the project would have been designed and planned (say, 2007-2009), there was a feeling of optimism around the inner city... crime was down, development was up, there was a sense that things were improving. Centre Village was a bit audacious but it was a symbol of improvement.

Of course as we all know that's not how it worked out... pretty much right when Centre Village opened its doors, synthetic drugs did a number on the inner city. Crime and drugs ran rampant social conditions took a serious turn for the worse. Obviously if 546 was designing Centre Village today, it would better take into account the crazy Mad Max-like social dynamics now present at night in the area west of Central Park. I'm sure they could easily design a fortress. But that wasn't necessarily what the situation called for at the time. So personally I'd give them a break. It's not 546's fault that meth and crime exploded in the 2010s.

That said, I doubt Centre Village can be salvaged. If it were just about anywhere else in the city it would be fine, but that is a terrible location for a complex like that and it's hard to conclude that it's anything but a writeoff.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan