HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 1:03 PM

Cool CHICAGO | Tribune Tower Addition | 1,442 FT | 113 FLOORS

http://tribunetowerredevelopment.com

New skyscraper rivaling Trump's in height could rise behind a redeveloped Tribune Tower

Developers plan city's second-tallest skyscraper next to new Tribune Tower condos
  • 1,422 feet
  • Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture
  • "Plans for the new tower, which could start construction in late 2019, call for a 200-room hotel, 439 rental apartments and 125 condominiums in its upper reaches."
  • "In the first phase, their plans call for 163 condominiums at Tribune Tower, which would retain its familiar name. The first units would be occupied in early 2020."

Last edited by Urbannizer; Mar 8, 2023 at 4:04 AM. Reason: edited with new information from April 16, 2018 community meeting

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 1:06 PM

CHICAGO | Tribune Tower redevelopment | ~1,388 feet

New skyscraper rivaling Trump’s in height could rise behind a redeveloped Tribune Tower

Chicago Tribune | By Bill Ruthhart and Blair KaminContact Reporters
Chicago Tribune, January 24, 2018

Quote:
skyscraper that would rival President Donald Trump’s Chicago high-rise as the city’s second-tallest would emerge behind the historic Tribune Tower, while the neo-Gothic office building would be turned into condominiums under still-evolving plans described by an alderman and two sources familiar with the proposal.

Envisioned as a hotel and condominium tower sheathed in steel and glass, the new skyscraper would soar to a height of 1,388 feet, downtown Ald. Brendan Reilly and a source familiar with the plans confirmed. That would be a foot shorter than the hotel-condo high-rise that Trump, then a real estate developer and reality TV star, completed in 2009.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 1:29 PM
BANNED

😱😱😱

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 1:40 PM
BANNED

Great news!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 2:07 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
A skyscraper that would rival President Donald Trump’s Chicago high-rise as the city’s second-tallest would emerge behind the historic Tribune Tower, while the neo-Gothic office building would be turned into condominiums under still-evolving plans described by an alderman and two sources familiar with the proposal.

They should call it the Barrack Obama Tower. It would be good hit for Trump's inflated ego.

Anyways, great news. Liking the super talls being revealed lately. Hope it accelerates!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 2:12 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230Roberto View Post
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...525-story.html

Edit: I thought the trump tower was 1,388 feet tall.
To the tip it is or architectural its 1,389 ft. Occupied is somewhere around 1,100 ft.

If this new Tribune tower is to the roof, it will be the 2nd tallest disregarding the spire rules.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 2:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
They should call it the Barrack Obama Tower. It would be good hit for Trump's inflated ego.
It says it'd be one foot shorter, so I'm sure that would actually garner a tweet about how he keeps winning.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 2:28 PM
The City

God bless America

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 2:35 PM

Sweet!

Am I the only one who finds it odd that they wouldn't program some office space in that location? I know that the West Loop is the hot market for that generally due to the trains, but this is just over the river from the Loop, and they are eliminating existing space with the condo conversion. It could be an attractive location for boutique offices, given all the nearby high end residential.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 2:35 PM

Interesting that they're comparing to Trump Tower's spire height and not the roof line. To me that indicates that this building will also have a spire. Else a 1388 roof height would make it dominate every building but Sears, and I think they'd be making different comparisons.

So plan commission this summer, but renderings are usually released well before that. I wonder how long we have to wait?

Quote:
The skyscraper would rise on the north side of what is now a parking lot behind Tribune Tower.
There's a map in the Tribune article. "Site A" looks to be only the northern third of the parking lot. Meaning this tower may not be any wider than One Bennett Park. It'll be very slender.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 2:37 PM

This is Adrian Smith and he likes spires, so those who have been itching for a building with one, lets wait for this rendering.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Interesting that they're comparing to Trump Tower's spire height and not the roof line. To me that indicates that this building will also have a spire. Else a 1388 roof height would make it dominate every building but Sears, and I think they'd be making different comparisons.

So plan commission this summer, but renderings are usually released well before that. I wonder how long we have to wait?

There's a map in the Tribune article. "Site A" looks to be only the northern third of the parking lot. Meaning this tower may not be any wider than One Bennett Park. It'll be very slender.
That makes sense.

A slender tower that isn't overbearing toward its famous neighbor is the only thing that's getting approved here, anyway.

And perhaps that partly answers my question re: offices, although boutique offices don't need enormous floorplates either.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 2:39 PM

^Remember, there's a protected view corridor from the east for Trib Tower, that's why this proposal is to the north of the site.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 2:43 PM

This will be amazing at that location if they do it.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Am I the only one who finds it odd that they wouldn't program some office space in that location?
Not really. Land values east of Michigan are quite high, and good companies are frugal. I see need for some office space like doctors, dentists, personal lawyers, accountants and such. But not corporate office space.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 2:44 PM

Smith + Gill… Wow, I can't wait to see some renderings. This could be something truly great.

If the tower is just that portion of the lot the Trib article highlights, doesn't the unit count seem rather low? Even if we are talking a large number of full floor ultra luxury units like Vista there is still like a 300+ unit swing there

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 2:45 PM

Does the same developer own the southern half of the site?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Not really. Land values east of Michigan are quite high, and good companies are frugal. I see need for some office space like doctors, dentists, personal lawyers, accountants and such. But not corporate office space.
Hedge funds, private equity, media firms, etc.

That's what I meant by boutique offices, and there is a market for super prime locations, for companies whose very picky and highly paid employees prefer them. That's why there is tons of office space in Mayfair or Park Avenue. It's a different niche, but it exists.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 2:49 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Smith + Gill?

1,388'?

chicago?

YES PLEASE!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Does the same developer own the southern half of the site?
It's not clear to me. The map doesn't label the southern 2/3rds at all. But from this quote, it sounds like the entire lot is being replaced.

Quote:
The current plans contemplate 365 parking spaces, which Reilly said would not be a substantial increase on the number of spaces currently in the Tribune outdoor lot. The new skyscraper would include an additional 500 parking spaces, located on the second through eighth floors. But Reilly said he has pushed to reduce the number of parking spaces, citing an abundance of nearby public transportation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals