HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 5:51 PM

^^^ Totally. I know it was risky to begin with by i ever understood developers' slow acceptance of building on the eastern side. Cheaper land, underutilized, full of owners who want to sell and quickly. The city needs to do more to attract developers. The fact that Developers felt the need to bribe Huizar just to build anything downtown should have been a wakeup call to city hall.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 8:49 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydr_ant View Post
A few photos of dtla from the intercontinental lobby. Great views of the Beaudry and Mitsui Fudosan 8th and Fig.

These may be the first aerial pics of 8th and Figueroa on the forum! Also, Beaudry is looking tall--when the facade hiding the mechanical elements is completed, it might well clock in at 695'. Anyway, thanks for posting, I really should get up there sometime.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2022, 11:20 PM

I want to see how the Beaudry looks like from a shot taken from Kenneth Hahn State Recreation Area. Will look so dope with the snow-capped mountains.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 9:04 PM

Mitsui Tower and Beaudry Tower.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 9:05 PM

Also lots of great photos of the 6th Street Bridge. Love them all.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 9:26 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

pwright1, thanks for posting those pics.

8th and Fig is really jumping up quickly. Even though it will be a solid skyscraper at 501', it's not clear yet from what angles we will be able to see it on the skyline. In any case, it's exactly the kind of projects downtown needs.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 9:51 PM

Does anyone know if the crane at 8th and Fig is at top of the height?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 10:02 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
Does anyone know if the crane at 8th and Fig is at top of the height?
8th and Fig will be 501', and the Ernst & Young tower in the photos taken by hydr_ant is 534'. Just eyeballing it, it seems like the crane would need to climb a little higher, but it's hard to tell.

Here's a rendering from the first page of this thread to provide perspective:

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 10:39 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

A sweeping view of the Los Angeles skyline showing construction downtown and in Koreatown, from LA Reddit. Question: does anyone know what's going up under the tallish cranes in Universal City?

Last edited by craigs; Jul 17, 2022 at 10:50 PM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2022, 11:22 PM
Paramoderator

The glass on 8th and Fig looks incredible. It great to see a project that doesn't feel cheap or value engineered. Excited to watch this one sprout.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Question: does anyone know what's going up under the tallish cranes in Universal City?
This: https://la.urbanize.city/post/univer...s-nbcuniversal

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 4:28 PM

^ I notice that site today also has a large array of pics of the Grand LA proj...this shows some more touch up work is still being done....

la.urbanize.city/hunter kerhart

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Mitsui Tower and Beaudry Tower.
Over 700 units will come on line once brookfield's tower is completed...I wonder what its absorption rate will be? The scale of the proj is somewhat new by dtla standards, but for various cities throughout the world, highrise residential devlpt of its size has been fairly common. Nice to see ppl in dt...both devlprs-landowners & their customers....are helping LA move closer to punching at its weight class.

beaudrydtla.com

https://www.beaudrydtla.com

https://vimeo.com/706649493

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 4:51 PM

In today's disappointing news... the transformative 1111 Sunset Boulevard has been put up for sale by Palisades after securing entitlements.

Still seems there is a chance this gets built as designed, but a smaller one than before it was put up for sale

https://www.theeastsiderla.com/real_...ticle-nav-next

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 5:02 PM
DENNAB

Not really surprised at any disappointing news these days. I wonder if the 49 story tower could still be built.

If they got approval, why did they sell it? Condos near Echo Park is such an opportunity $$$.

On another note Mitsui looks amazing, Beaudry looks kind of cheap.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 5:37 PM

The unfinished oceanwide proj on Fig is a daily reminder that the economy & financing can fall apart at any moment....& oceanwide occurred before Covid hit the world too. Although what's going on in certain other cities, which have a booming new highrise devlpt scene, means dtla has comparatively less demand or less absorption?

Meanwhile, yrs ago this used to be a water fountain in the plaza of what originally was the New Otani hotel. I read that the underground piping no longer works & the former owner and now the bldg's current operator, the hilton doubletree, have never bothered fixing it.

https://youtu.be/EitaiLU2d0E?t=760

the nearby etco Lotus apt bldg has been under construction for over 4 yrs! This image is from 2018:

la.urbanize.city

la.urbanize.city

When I see the tagging on the upper part of the rear wall of the brick bldg fronting on 1st St....back in 2018 & still today in 2022....I have to ask, how the heck do taggers do that...do they use scaffolding? But at least the concrete barricades for the restaurants on 1st st in little tokyo appear to have been painted over....I believe they were heavily tagged not too long ago. Speaking of graffiti, the loft proj east of the tower theater had its 3rd level tagged awhile ago, which forced the owner to spend some money on renting a cherry picker crane & getting workers to clean the wall.

Arthur McLin III/facebook townsquare dtla

^ The person posting that pic to facebook says: Graffiti is being removed. Painstaking job. They've been at it all week.

Last wk I drove by the little tokyo station of the regional connector line & was surprised at how much work still needs to be done....same thing with the station west of the broad museum.

https://youtu.be/EitaiLU2d0E?t=1462

What's required in the upgrading of dtla/LA? Patience, lots of patience.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAisthePlace View Post
In today's disappointing news... the transformative 1111 Sunset Boulevard has been put up for sale by Palisades after securing entitlements.

Still seems there is a chance this gets built as designed, but a smaller one than before it was put up for sale

https://www.theeastsiderla.com/real_...ticle-nav-next

I honestly expected this to happen. The entitlement process for LA (not sure how it rates in other cities) feels incredibly slow in comparison to almost anywhere else. I could imagine a developer coming in saying "dude I just want to build without dealing with the 4-5 year waiting period".

This is easy money for the developer.... Deal with all the red tape and waiting period....to sell a shovel ready project, at double, to someone else with the funds and capital to build. I can understand a year for processing. But I feel it takes the city 2 years just to say, "can you change the type of gate for the garage before we approve?".

Imagine a developer doing this for 20+ projects all around downtown, specifically the arts/6th street bridge area, to quickly sell to the highest bidder. Just have to pray it doesn't turn into the Barry Shy/ Chetrit affect.

Last edited by caligrad; Jul 18, 2022 at 6:02 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 6:00 PM
你的媽媽

Ah, bummer. I'll go ahead and update the main thread.

LOS ANGELES | 1111 Sunset Blvd | 572 + 408 + 211 FT | 49 + 30 + 17 FLOORS

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 6:05 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
^ I notice that site today also has a large array of pics of the Grand LA proj...this shows some more touch up work is still being done....
The terraces are nice but look like it'd be difficult to navigate. A bit of a maze.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
If ppl weren't around yrs ago, they don't realize just how overly modest dtla was, before & after much of bunker hill was razed. It has been such a long, slow slog to fill in dtla, that to me unless a property is a parking lot or a very beat up old bldg (like a lot of what's in south pk around pico)...or something similar to what the Grand LA proj has replaced....I don't treat it as a throwaway. DT doesn't have that luxury. But when all its gaps have been taken care of, focusing on replacing newer devlpt, such as what was built in the 1970s or 1980s, will make sense. Right now, we should be so lucky.

This was a major hollywood actress in the 1960s in a magazine photoshoot titled: 'Ingrid Bergman: A day on Bunker Hill'...

https://hollywoodwalker.blogspot.com/search/label/Ingrid%20Bergman?m=0

hollywoodwalker.blogspot.com/Life

hollywoodwalker.blogspot.com

She was bigger in the 30s through 50s. By the 60s she was slowing down quite a bit so she wasn't as big of a star as she was (though a legend). Of course she was in Casablanca with Bogart in 1942, which is one of her best. Anyhow, sorry, I'm a movie nerd.

I do agree with Caligrad on getting ride of all those 60s and 70s ugly no style apartments on Bunker Hill, especially the senior ones that are over the 3rd street tunnel. They kill the ped experience on Olive. Though I know unless someone comes in and builds a replacement for them, it won't happen anytime soon. They should have never been approved when built unfortunately.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations