HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 1:59 PM

The developer of the proposed 20-story tower at 940 S. Hill was just found guilty in the Huizar bribery scheme.

Shenzhen New World (who owns the LA Grand Hotel that was asked about earlier) will go on trial in October.

https://www.dailynews.com/2022/06/27...bribery-trial/

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 2:22 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Maybe that will open the door for someone else with deeper pockets to come in and develop that parcel. With the Onni tower going up across the street, it's only a matter of time for that parcel, which has sat vacant for some time now. I'd love for the Ace Graphix building kitty corner from this be the next on the radar after this one.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
Citywatch, if you are so interested in downtown, then how come you never post your own photos or videos? For someone who lives nearby and seems to have such a long-winded passionate opinion on all things DTLA, you sure seem to rely heavily on what you can scavenge on the YouTube.

I actually don't live near dtla....I did visit the arts dist several wks ago and drove by dt not long ago when going to another part of LA. I did use to work in dt, however...& I was born in LA, not too far from dt, too. Something about dt has long interested me....I think its role & condition for decades has greatly affected the image of LA in general.

But this is why I like posts in the dtla compilations forum that have pics/images, personal observations from ppl....an spper...who've recently been in dt itself, vids or articles about dtla, scoops on new devlpt, rumors about new projs.

I've noticed youtube vids where below them are over 200, 500, 1,000 or even 5,000 or more posted comments. Why ppl like leaving brief little messages or opinions in social media is for what reason?

this post is guilty of the same thing. I don't mind quips or short comments....it's just that they don't help give me a better sense of dtla, new info about it or, even better, an announcement that a new proj has broken ground.

I wish all posts in this forum were similar to the one from several wks ago...that was the one about work starting on the new onni apt tower at Olympic & Hill. Even better, it came with pics.

I admit when I drop by here, that's what I'm always hoping to see. When I don't, yep, I feel disappointed. But, ok, that's just me.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
The developer of the proposed 20-story tower at 940 S. Hill was just found guilty in the Huizar bribery scheme.

Shenzhen New World (who owns the LA Grand Hotel that was asked about earlier) will go on trial in October.

https://www.dailynews.com/2022/06/27...bribery-trial/
I've been wondering what ever happened to this project, it was great infill. For those of you lost on which project it is. If I remember correctly, it's across the street from Onnis hill project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Function: Mixed-use | 232 condominiums | 14,000 SF retail
Architect: DGB-Line
Developer: 940 Hill, LLC
Timeline: N/A

http://urbanize.la/post/another-high...lex-south-park

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 12:29 AM

Quote:

Gehry’s design pushes back against a dispiriting trend of podium and tower structures throughout downtown LA: Parking lots often occupy the first few stories of city blocks, leaving unfriendly high walls at street level, with smaller boxes containing apartments or offices placed on top.

It’s the easiest, cheapest option for many builders, but The Grand features 1,063 underground parking spaces in order to prioritize the pedestrian thoroughfare.

There was a point in time where we had to wonder if the market would be here if we kept building or if we should suspend until we know what the world is going to look like,” recalls Vogel. “But in many ways, this project is being delivered right on time because downtown LA is at a very important transition point now.”

The article doesn't really give any info that isn't already known....the proj has huge blank walls on its east facing side & what should be done about that (led screens, banners?)...or not...hasn't been answered. I feel bad that Gehry is 93 yrs old & he's had to wait almost 20 yrs since disney Hall opened to finally see the former parking lot across the street from it be replaced.

the hotel industry in LA compared with other mkts has reportedly come back a bit stronger after the pandemic, but I'm not sure how dtla will or won't be affected by that...

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 12:47 AM

IIRC the 940 S Hill project is the one that was initiated by a different developer and faced a myriad of opposition and lawsuits from Eastern Columbia. "Don't block the clock" or something like that. I don't recall that ever being resolved, which may be why the bribes were happening.

Edit: I may be thinking of a project on the NE corner of 9th/Hill. Anyone recall?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
IIRC the 940 S Hill project is the one that was initiated by a different developer and faced a myriad of opposition and lawsuits from Eastern Columbia. "Don't block the clock" or something like that. I don't recall that ever being resolved, which may be why the bribes were happening.

Edit: I may be thinking of a project on the NE corner of 9th/Hill. Anyone recall?
You're thinking of the alexandria.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 4:25 PM

Overall I like the Grand, but its pretty terrible how it treats Olive St and even First St. They need to do something to make those more attractive surfaces at least. Olive is a massive blank wall. Some sort of grand vertical art installation would help

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
You're thinking of the alexandria.
Yes that’s it. Thanks!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 7:32 PM

^^This building has been under construction for 6+ years... WHY????

Just for fun!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 7:34 PM
你的媽媽

Nice update! Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
^^This building has been under construction for 6+ years... WHY????

Just for fun!

The apt tower going up in little tokyo across from weller court...in the shadow of city hall....was also on pause for quite awhile, although not as long as the apt proj on Fig has been or, really extreme, the oceanwide proj further north on Fig.

Ppl involved in the real estate industry must have a better idea of why that occurs, but it makes new devlpt in dtla a constantly moving question mark...look at all the questions about projs announced a few yrs ago but that never reach the groundbreaking stage.

btw, posts with new pics in them are what I hope to see when dropping by here...that or posts that give info on a proj or even new rumors about them. Brief comments or short opinions that I see under lots of youtube vids....sometimes over 1,000 to 5,000 of them.....I don't get much out of.

As for youtube vids, because of them I have a better sense of dtla, how LA compares with other cities, what's good about LA....dtla. Various vids have helped me appreciate LA...dtla...more than I'd otherwise would, so I don't see vids as a waste or clutter. But if others do, that's fine...no law says ppl have to watch them.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Just for fun!
How can anybody not like this HAHA this is a tower we've been begging for, for years and i do mean YEARS. This is something you would see in NY and CHI and exactly what we've been crying about and wanting for so long. Its sexy as hell. This shows how tall and slender towers can work here. I like this because this can easily slide into small lots along Broadway and the historic core. This was a big win.

Last edited by caligrad; Jun 30, 2022 at 6:07 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 10:15 PM

Flags are flying over the old HerEx bldg in perhaps the first time in over 60, 70, 80 yrs!?

I don't think the bldg's flagpoles above the cupolas were used for most of the decades when even the Herald Examiner occupied Julia Morgan's bldg.

https://youtu.be/TDNNC4P2Zgw?t=94

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 11:09 PM

Huge news for Chinatown / Echo park. The project at 1111 Sunset with multiple towers has been approved! 49 story, 30 story, 17 story, 2 acre park, etc... One of our best proposals.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...craper-project

Additionally, the large, narrow lot between Guisados and 1111 Sunset has started demo. This will be the Sunset Gateway by Aragon with 204 units

https://la.urbanize.city/post/propos...ing-commission

Lastly, the Relevant Group mod tower on Spring and 3rd as well as the mixed use project on Sunset replaced Taix also got the go ahead today!

https://la.urbanize.city/post/la-cit...opment-forward

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 11:13 PM
Ascension

Thrilled to see 1111 Sunset moving forward. One of my favorite proposals in all of LA.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Thrilled to see 1111 Sunset moving forward. One of my favorite proposals in all of LA.
Easily. Should be a template for the rest of Chinatown, Echo Park, etc. Just wonderfully thought out, nice design and dense

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 11:39 PM

A great news day indeed. Excited for what's happening for all of LA. LA in general has a lot going on in the right direction.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Lastly, the Relevant Group mod tower on Spring and 3rd as well as the mixed use project on Sunset replaced Taix also got the go ahead today!
That's the type of links I like seeing here! Notice how this part of the article is a real head scratcher. Why would a union for construction workers oppose the apt proj at 3rd & Spring? Issues like that slow down new devlpt.

Quote:
The appeal from the Carpenters, which was submitted after the project's approval by the City Planning Commission in January, argued that the high-rise should not have been granted an exemption from review under the California Environmental Quality Act, and should instead be subject to a full environmental impact report.

I know the Equity apt bldg at the NE corner of 4th & Hill was opposed by tenants or bldg owners whose properties faced broadway, but I don't think that's the reason the proj still hasn't broken ground. The landowner still hasn't even torn down the taco house #1 food stand....it was listed as having a demo permit back in 2021, but nothing occurred. Demand for new apts in dt has held up fairly well for the past several yrs, so that shouldn't be the reason that Equity residential...based in chicago....has pulled back.

Whatever the case, legal hurdles combined with funding issues slow down scheduled improvements.

And again when it comes to youtube vids, it's because of those vids that I have a better sense of not just dtla's chinatown but also another one found in another city...America's largest city. There's something about LA...dtla...that has a nicer, friendlier vibe.

DTLA's Chinatown reflects some of that. It has better themeing...LA's history of being hollywoodized or disneylandized...&, along with Mediterranean type weather too, the hood has a friendlier tone. LA has a combo of good qualities....which vids help me better understand.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Huge news for Chinatown / Echo park. The project at 1111 Sunset with multiple towers has been approved! 49 story, 30 story, 17 story, 2 acre park, etc... One of our best proposals.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...craper-project

Additionally, the large, narrow lot between Guisados and 1111 Sunset has started demo. This will be the Sunset Gateway by Aragon with 204 units

https://la.urbanize.city/post/propos...ing-commission

https://la.urbanize.city/post/la-cit...opment-forward
Yea!!! For Sunset and the Spring!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations