HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 12, 2004, 12:20 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

In fact in like the left corner of my avatar is sort of where the lot is located so it would be nice to see a 350 footer there!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2004, 9:28 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Here are a few other projects on there way:

Honolulu Design Center

John A Burns Medical School U/C
[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=uh+medical+school/v=2/l=IVI/*-http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/dailypix/2001/Dec/16/ln01a.gif[/img]

The Waikiki Beach Walk
Outrigger Hotels & Resorts plans to add more retail and entertainment facilities to its hotel property on Lewers Street, in a multiphased project called Waikiki Beach Walk.

Honolulu Fishing Village

Old Posted Feb 22, 2004, 4:55 PM
123elm

All these condo towers must be very popular with Japanese investors.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2004, 1:42 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

^Well back in the late 80s and early 90s but not really anymore their bubble had burst a decade ago and theyve sold most of their investments, its now mainly local, mainland, european, chinese, korean, etc investors.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2004, 11:58 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

High-rise proposed for Waikiki

Yay another! 27-31 stories? Let's hope!

A Mainland real estate firm has proposed building a condominium or time-share high-rise at the 'ewa end of Kuhio Avenue, a project that would be another major investment in Waikiki but one that also is raising community concerns.

Belrad Group LLC of San Francisco and New York wants to develop either a 27-story apartment/condo or 31-story time-share building on about 2.5 vacant acres along Kuhio Avenue and Kalai-moku Street.

A developer's representative recently shared project plans with Waikiki Neighborhood Board and city government officials, who expressed a mix of support and concern.

"This will definitely be controversial," said Rick Egged, president of the Waikiki Improvement Association. "We were hoping for more of a commercial development on Kuhio Avenue, but certainly time-share could be more economically beneficial than a commercial development because it would bring more visitors here."

The project would require a zoning change from resort commercial to resort mixed-use.

Area residents expressed concerns primarily over blocked views and traffic.

A group of residents living in the nearby Four Paddle residential high-rise is trying to organize opposition to the project, referred to as 2121 Kuhio.

Organizers, going by the name Homeowners Committee for Protection of Waikiki Environmental Rights, have scheduled a meeting at 3 p.m. tomorrow at the Waikiki Community Center to discuss their concerns that the project will encourage construction of more high-rises and create traffic, air pollution, power failures and a loss of sunshine and breeze.

But other Waikiki residents, who said they sympathize with residents of the 25-story Four Paddle and the nearby 24-story La Casa condo whose views would be obstructed, say the developer could build an office tower or retail complex with similar impact under existing zoning.

"To me, it would be a nicer project than if they went up 300 feet with retail," said Bob Finley, neighborhood board chairman.

Finley said the board felt it would be premature to take a position on the project. Members have scheduled another presentation by the developer at the board's May 11 meeting.

City Councilman Charles Djou said that if city finances were sufficient, he'd love to condemn the property for a park, but the city doesn't have the money.

"It's sort of a game of chicken. If you tell them no they can't put up the time-share (or condo), they could say well then we're going to put up an office tower," Djou said, adding that keeping the property an empty lot is not desirable either.

City planning director Eric Crispin said the Planning and Permitting Department would support a mixed-use project that included restaurants and shops on the ground level of the building.

Belrad included a low-rise restaurant complex in its summary, but it was unclear how that component was integrated with the high-rise.

Belrad officials did not return inquiries seeking comment. Belrad's local consultant Kusao & Kurahashi referred a request for project details to a development official who did not respond yesterday.

The project site was once the home of Hula's Bar & Lei Stand and is occupied by an old banyan tree, which would remain.

The site is owned by K3 Owners LLC, which includes Honolulu-based development firm Honu Group and Lehman Bros., though one source familiar with plans said Honu is in the process of selling its stake in the property.

Honu and Lehman developed the luxury retail complex 2100 Kalakaua on the makai portion of the property, which is across Kalaimoku from King Kalakaua Plaza, another Honu retail project.

Honu had envisioned developing the 2121 Kuhio site into a third retail complex. Honu officials were traveling and unavailable for comment.

So now its:

U/C: 5

Approved: 5

Proposed: 11

MSA Completed: 450 (432 in city) <-This according to SS.Com but i'm pretty sure there's more 12+ buildings Anyhow, i hope this project works out and the NIMBYS stop whining and shut their F'king pie holes!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2004, 12:05 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Bam and another set to go under construction later this year!

The 32 story 909 Kapiolani Building

'Now is the right time to build'

There was no mad dash of prospective home buyers lining up to place early dibs on the latest high-rise condominium project in Kaka'ako recently, but units have been going fast at 909 Kapiolani.

Developers of the planned condo at the corner of Ward Avenue and Kapi'olani Boulevard quietly erected signs and a near-finished sales office recently on the site, which is still ringed by a chain-link fence.

Prudential Locations, however, has taken reservations and $2,000 deposits for nearly all of roughly 113 units that will be sold as a first phase of the 225-unit tower.

The response was not unexpected given the recent rushes of sales at other Kaka'ako high-rise condos, such as Hokua, Ko'olani and Moana Pacific, which generated overwhelming interest among buyers, some of whom camped for days to reserve a unit.

The 909 Kapiolani project is the more affordable of the four condos, with prices averaging a little under $500,000 and starting as low as $260,000 for one-bedroom, one bath units.

An agent with Prudential did not respond to requests for more sales information yesterday or Wednesday.

But project manager Hong Lee with developer Posec Hawaii Inc. said he was pleased that the long-delayed project is moving ahead just as Hawai'i real estate sales boom.

"Right now the market is quite strong, and the supply is short," he said. "Now is the right time to build this condominium."

The Posec project was initially envisioned nearly 10 years ago, as the South Korean subsidiary of Pohang Iron and Steel Co., now known as POSCO Engineering & Construction, bought the 1.3-acre property in 1995 for $12.5 million.

A downturn in real estate at the time shelved the plan, then designed as a luxury property called Emerald Tower. An alternative plan to move forward with a senior-living high-rise ended in 1998 because of trouble in the South Korean economy and a disputed impact fee calculated by the state.

Construction of 909 Kapiolani is anticipated to cost about $50 million, and begin toward the end of this year, Lee said.

The 32-story tower is designed with five decks of parking, a recreation deck and space for a street-level convenience store and a coffee shop-type of restaurant.

Views

West
North
East *towards my hood btw see them cranes those are two others going up!
South

Old Posted Apr 9, 2004, 1:41 PM
JACKinBeantown

Honolulu's population may be 902,704 but I bet at any given time there are 1.5 million people there (tourists).

Old Posted Apr 9, 2004, 8:27 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

^It does feel a lot larger than the numbers suggest however i think its because of the density and the lifestyle, people here are always out and about all hours of the day and night as the weather is always nice and there are a lot of places in the city that are 24hrs, most of the tourist are usually confined to Waikiki and rarely venture to other parts of the city so unless your in Waikiki or parts nearby you don't notice tourists as much well except maybe when their on tours around the island but other than that its mostly island residents.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2004, 11:40 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Waikiki property on Kalakaua for sale could make way for some Condo's!

A Los Angeles investment firm has retained a broker to sell a large Waikiki land parcel that includes the popular Wave Waikiki nightclub, hoping to attract a developer interested in building a residential high-rise on the mostly vacant property.

A sale could lead to another condominium project in O'ahu's booming residential real estate market, relocation of the nearly 24-year-old Wave and add to the revitalization groundswell in Hawai'i's tourism core by improving a prime vacant site along Kalakaua Avenue.

The 2.2-acre site is largely fallow, with a parking lot, two empty low-rise apartment buildings, a big empty lot and the Wave.

Real estate observers said timing is good for a sale to a residential developer, though two private lanes that run into the property but are not included in the offering could complicate a purchase.

The seller is Oaktree Capital Management LLC, a $28 billion investment fund that acquired mostly distressed assets in Hawai'i since the mid-1990s, including Turtle Bay Resort, a stake in former department store chain Liberty House and the mortgage on the Waikiki Landmark condo across from the site it is now trying to sell.

Oaktree acquired the property around the Wave for $12.6 million in 1995 from a Japanese firm, Japan Building Project Hawaii, that bought seven parcels from several owners for $38 million in 1990, property records show.

Oaktree acquired the parcel under the Wave in 1998 for $2.3 million from another owner. But two private lanes running into the site are owned by a local family named Chun.

The lanes, Pau and Makaoe, can be used by the surrounding property owner, but could not be built on unless acquired from the Chuns, who have entertained offers in the past to sell the access roads.

Joel LaPinta, a Hilo-based real estate broker marketing the Oaktree property, said a few prospective investors have expressed interest in the site, which has resort-commercial zoning that allows multifamily residential use but not hotel or time-share use.

LaPinta said he expects a buyer to be a residential developer given the intense demand for condos in Ho-nolulu and low interest rates driving home buying and construction.

There's a lot of new projects coming on the market, but I don't think the market's going to be disappearing, he said.

Ongoing condo projects being sold and under construction or preparing for construction include at least two in Waikiki and four in nearby Kaka'ako.

At least two more in Waikiki are planned, including a project on Kuhio Avenue at Kalaimoku Street and one on Lewers Street as part of a time-share/hotel/condo redevelopment project by Outrigger Hotels & Resorts.

LaPinta said he expects O'ahu's condo market to remain strong at least through 2007 or 2008 with help from baby boomers looking to simplify their living arrangements or buy vacation property.

They'll be at the cusp of their peak earnings and interest in owing second homes, he said. "It'll still be a good market."

Jack Law, a part owner of the Wave, said the nightclub has been on a month-to-month lease since early last year, but he's not thinking about relocation until his landlord makes definitive redevelopment plans.

I wish I knew what's going to happen in six months, but I know enough about real estate to know that you don't develop a property like this overnight, he said.

Law, a real estate broker since 1975, went through a similar process about seven years ago when a developer evicted his Hula's Bar & Lei Stand from its spot on Kuhio Avenue after 23 years to make way for what eventually became the luxury retail development 2100 Kalakaua.

Hula's moved to the Waikiki Grand Hotel on Kapahulu Avenue, and its old site is slated to become either a time-share or residential high-rise under recently disclosed plans.

I'm just grateful I'm here month to month, Law said. "I'm going to sit tight until I can't run the Wave from this location any more."

***Hmmm Progress i see many changes in the near future for Honolulu its gonna be an interesting next few years to see what will emerge***

Old Posted Apr 30, 2004, 11:43 AM
Registirred User

lol whoa.. about 90% of this thread is made up of your posts!

great buildings btw.. im jealous

Old Posted Apr 30, 2004, 11:43 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Yet Another!

Condo in plans for Hobron purchase

An affiliate of Outrigger Hotels & Resorts has sold a vacant Waikiki property to a California firm with plans to develop an upscale high-rise condominium. The move came after a local nonprofit, hoping to build a senior-living facility on the Hobron Lane site, backed out.

Irongate Capital Partners, a Beverly Hills-based investment and development firm, recently bought the 3-acre site for $15.5 million, and said it is drawing up plans to build a high-end condo tower.

Rick Rosenberg, Irongate president, said he is hopeful the firm can begin sales in the next three to six months, and break ground in about a year.

We're putting all of our ducks in a row, he said. "We're moving forward right now."

Rosenberg said the Hobron purchase is the firm's first in Hawai'i, where Irongate had been looking at real estate opportunities for about six months.

Irongate's project enters a swelling field of condo high-rises in the works, including two others in Waikiki and four more in nearby Kaka'ako with more than 1,500 units coming on the market that is also flush with demand.

The Irongate site is one of four contiguous parcels once promoted as a home for the Convention Center. Outrigger put the parcels up for sale in 2000 to help raise cash for reinvestment in its core resort properties.

Outrigger sold two of the parcels containing the 136-unit Ohana Ala Wai Towers hotel and 47-unit Ala Wai Terrace apartments three years ago to local developer Peter Savio.

A third parcel, containing the 144-unit leasehold apartment building Tradewinds Mauka, has yet to be sold.

Before Irongate bought the vacant 3-acre parcel, it was sold in January 2003 for $13 million to Honolulu Neighborhood Housing Services Inc., a nonprofit that partnered with local developer Donald Graham and planned to build a 26-story, $113 million apartment tower for up to 275 seniors.

Graham acquired the property after an unsuccessful effort to develop the retirement complex on part of the Ke'eaumoku superblock on which Wal-Mart is building Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores.

Rep. Dennis Arakaki, who is executive director of Honolulu Neighborhood Housing, said the nonprofit had state authorization to sell $80 million in special-purpose revenue bonds to help finance the project, but financing could not be completed.

There was a lot of interest in (the project), but the financing just didn't come through, he said. "It's too bad."

Honolulu Neighborhood Housing sold the parcel back to Outrigger in February for the same price it paid. Arakaki said the nonprofit, which focuses on developing low-income rental homes, had hoped the senior-living project would generate income to further its main mission, but that there are no prospects to revive the project.

So thats um its:

5 U/C in the metro 2 in the burbs 3 in the city
5 Approved
12 Proposed *we may even see 2 more proposals soon with another lot up for sale in Waikiki and another just sold Downtown.

We be coming up!
YAY!!!! Honolulu's picking up the pace and working that thang like a mo fo!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2004, 11:45 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

hehe mthq, i know i get no love but i dont mind talking to myself! People are sleepin' on this city man if they only knew!

Anyhow, gosh we need to work on some Alaska stuff to!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2004, 11:46 AM
Registirred User

another tower!?!?!

ahhh! now I'm even more jealous! (refer back to the last post on Page 2 )

damn mofo's!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2004, 11:52 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

haha yeah we are starting to go thru a boom, Honolulu is gonna take off real soon with all these projects poppin up all the time and the good thing about it is that many of them are residential projects that are primarily located in the city (equaling less sprawl - keepin peeps in town) which will give the city pop a nice boost, continue to densify and add even more vibrancy to this already vibrant city. I'm luvin it.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2004, 3:12 PM

Well....I believe there are lots of construction over there..

Old Posted Apr 30, 2004, 7:17 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

^Hehe and your belief is right!

Old Posted May 4, 2004, 4:01 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Okay here's a project update rundown of what i have so far:

U/C:

In The City

1• Koolani >U/C (Completed by 2006)
*400ft? 47 story - (370-unit) luxury condominium

2• Lanikea >U/C (Completed by 2005)
*300 ft 25 story - (100-unit) two-bedroom, fee simple condominium development

3• Hokua >U/C (Completed by 2005)
*418 ft 40 story - (250-unit) luxury condominium

In The Burbs

4• Marriott's Ko'Olina Beach Club Tower 1 >U/C (Completed by 2004?)
*12 stories

5• Marriott's Ko'Olina Beach Club Tower 2 >U/C (Completed by 2004?)
*12 stories

Approved:

1• Waikikian Tower (Completed by 2005)
*38 stories

2• Kulana Hale Apartments II
*15-16 stories (162-unit)

3• Kapi'olani Akahi Continuing Care Retirement Community (Completed by 2005)
*294 ft 26 stories

4• Moana Pacific Tower I
46 story (350-unit)

5• Moana Pacific Tower II
46 story (350-unit)
*Sales to start early next year. Construction as soon as Jan. currently awaiting permit approval.

Proposed:

1• Nine O Nine Kapiolani (once known as Emerald Tower)
*32 stories (230-unit)

2• Pacific Quay Office Tower
(200,000 sq ft)

3• Pacific Quay Hotel Tower
(250-unit)

4• Unnamed Project
(200-unit) - tower over looking Honolulu Harbor

5• Outrigger Beach Walk Hotel
*27 stories

6• Kakaako Project
*25 stories

7• 800 Nu'uanu Avenue (2006)
*220ft 21 stories - (189-unit)

8• World Trade Center Hawaii (2006?)
*400 ft

9• Iwilei Elderly Housing
*13 stories
>Housing and Community Development Corp. of Hawai'i's (residential complex for the elderly) - near the old O'ahu Railway & Land Terminal building

10• 215 North King Street (Aala Site Condominiums) A
*23 stories - (251-unit) tower
>Downtown Affordables downtown residential condominium project

11• 2121 Kuhio Avenue
*27 stories

12• Hobron Condominium Project (more info yet to be released by Irongate Capital Partners)

**Two others are possible I will post updates as I receive more info!

Old Posted May 7, 2004, 7:31 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Builders to begin Waikiki face lift

A 350 foot sky-reaching tower is just one piece of the $800 million plan

After nearly a decade in the making, what's old will soon become new again.

A joint venture announced yesterday between Outrigger Enterprises Inc. and kamaaina developer Richard Gushman, co-developer of the Waikele Shopping Center, will start the demolition ball moving to make way for a planned $800 million Waikiki Beach Walk Project.

The project, scheduled to begin in the second quarter of 2005 and be completed in 2007, will turn an aging and congested portion of central Waikiki into a combination of new and refurbished vacation ownership and hotel accommodations. As part of the project, six low- to midrise hotels will be replaced with a single sky-reaching tower, expanses of open space and an old-Waikiki-themed complex of shops, restaurants and entertainment.

David Carey, president and CEO of Outrigger Enterprises, enjoys the Waikiki view from the balcony of the Sunset Terrace Restaurant in the Outrigger Waikiki Hotel.

"This project is very significant because it will reposition an untouched portion of Waikiki," said David Carey, president and chief executive officer of Outrigger Enterprises. "It's been our dream for more than 10 years."
Outrigger began plans to redevelop the 7.7-acre site, which stretches along Saratoga Road, Lewers Street and Kalia Road, in the early 1990s to make it more appealing to guests and to attract new business, Carey said.

"We want this to be a fun, happening place with a family atmosphere that will appeal to both tourists and locals," Carey said.

But it took improved financial conditions, an influx of capital and experience from the right partner to get Outrigger's plans off the ground, Carey said.

"(Gushman's) knowledge of Hawaii's retail market and experience as a developer will help us take the next step toward revitalizing Waikiki," he said.

The first phase of the project, which begins next year, calls for the demolition of three 1950s-era hotels -- the Ohana Edgewater, the Edgewater Lanais and the Ohana Coral Seas -- to make way for a 100,000 square-foot entertainment and retail complex that will front an open plaza on Lewers Street. Outrigger will also renovate the Ohana Reef Towers, turning the 480-room hotel into 193 time-share units.

The second phase of the project, tentatively set for 2007, calls for the demolition of three more hotels: the Ohana Reef Lanai, the Ohana Royal Islander and the Malihini Hotel. These properties will be replaced with a 350-foot tower resort condominium.

Gushman will be in charge of developing the project's retail and entertainment space. Barbara Campbell, vice president of retail development and leasing for Outrigger Enterprises, will serve as the joint venture's leasing director, and Kaolin Corp. will serve as the project broker.

Although an architect has not been named to the retail project, Gushman said he is already seeking tenants for this Waikiki resurgence.

"We are anxious to bring the area alive with restaurants and shops that will appeal to residents and visitors alike," Gushman said. "We want to make this an experience not common outside of Hawaii."

The retail mix will be about 60 percent restaurants and bars, with the remaining space devoted to impulse retail featuring Hawaii products, among other things, Carey said.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2004, 11:11 AM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

YAY! Chinatown projects to proceed

After eight months of delays, the city has agreed to move forward with a bill to allow loft space in historic Chinatown and to drop an unpopular companion measure that would have expanded the Chinatown Special District and imposed building height restrictions.

The action comes after the administration won concessions from developers on two pending projects.

Bill 43 has deleted all provisions relating to expansion of the special district, which had been opposed by developers, community groups and the city Planning Commission. It now only amends city ordinances to allow residential lofts in the historic core of Chinatown.

The bill will be discussed at the City Council's Zoning Committee meeting June 22.

The Planning Commission rejected the expansion plan in September, and since then all plans for building a private affordable condominium project, a state elderly affordable housing residence and developing any lofts to foster a culture and arts district in the area have been on hold.

"Now that the ideas are separated, the lofts can move forward," said Rich Richardson, a member of the Nu'uanu Merchants Association. "For eight months we have been holding our breaths. Now that it is free, I don't see too much resistance."

Vito Galati, a partner in Downtown Affordables, said his 23-story, 251-unit affordable condominium project is sold out and he can finally move forward with construction. The project was within the special district expansion and would not have been allowed under proposed height restrictions.

"We have submitted a foundation permit and expect it to be issued any day now," Galati said. "We've had a lot of discussions with the city and we have worked closely with them. We have made some changes to our project to accommodate their desires."

Galati said the complex, located next to A'ala Park on North King Street, will now have a "retail/commercial presence" on the King Street side but the height is unchanged.

"We are now in a situation where we are happy with the design and they are happy with the design and we are expecting the permits will be issued any day now," he said.

City planning and permitting director Eric Crispin last year said an expanded district would reduce height limits to preserve the view plane and create an appropriate entryway into Chinatown. At that time, he said that both Galati's project and the state's senior project were unsuitable for the area in terms of how they were designed, although both met established zoning requirements.

Ben Lee, city managing director, said that after hearing comments at public hearings and the Planning Commission, Mayor Jeremy Harris sent the bill back to Crispin to address some of those concerns.

"(Harris asked) to see if it was necessary to expand the district or not," Lee said. "We were concerned about a big high-rise building coming up and the mayor told Eric to work with them to meet the goals and objectives of the special district.

"Once those revisions were made and the developer basically agreed to provide retail space on the ground floor enhancing King Street, we said let's just move forward with the loft because that has a lot of interest."

Marvin Awaya, executive director of Pacific Housing Assistance Corp., said his company has been selected to develop the 15-story elderly affordable housing residence near the OR&L building for the Housing and Community Development Corp.

Awaya said only minor changes were needed for their project and as soon as construction drawings are completed, the project will be put out to bid.

"The fact that two projects were going up at the same time in the (city's) view would have changed the character of Iwilei, (and) may have contributed to that delay," Awaya said. "It's back on track now."

Old Posted Jun 13, 2004, 10:24 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

Here's a list of projects for my part of town

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations