HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 11:16 PM

After the FDR rebuild I hope the Asian market will be there on weekends too.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 11:21 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
After the FDR rebuild I hope the Asian market will be there on weekends too.
https://myphillypark.org/explore/parks/fdr-park/faqs/

Quote:
WILL THERE BE EFFORTS MADE TO PRESERVE THE SOUTHEAST ASIAN MARKET?
The FDR Park Plan ensures that there will be a physical space to accommodate the vendors’ markets moving forward. The City of Philadelphia’s current administration is committed to supporting the market through this process. In addition, Fairmount Park Conservancy and the City have supported the vendors’ efforts to formalize and organize as they formed the Vendors Association of FDR Park.
In June of 2022, the Philadelphia Department of Commerce awarded the Cambodian Association of Greater Philadelphia (CAGP) a $100,000 grant which will go toward establishing a permanent site for the Southeast Asian Market in FDR Park.
As the Plan’s details are being finalized, a site for the market will be integrated into the implementation of the design.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Maybe I should read the FAQ next time but thanks!!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 12:33 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
Maybe I should read the FAQ next time but thanks!!
It's no issue with me lol, I just found it today from searching, I just keep linking it because it's answering the questions we all been wondering.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 5:00 AM

It’s OK these questions are… frequently asked. drops mic

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 3:10 AM

Looks like someone is pursuing redevelopment of the Richmond coal generating station.

Wolf Administration Awards $1 Million for Environmental Cleanup at Former Richmond Coal Generating Station in Philadelphia

Quote:
Post-remediation and demolition, the site will be prepared for the development of a mixed-use office and commercial retail building.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Looks like someone is pursuing redevelopment of the Richmond coal generating station.

Wolf Administration Awards $1 Million for Environmental Cleanup at Former Richmond Coal Generating Station in Philadelphia
I wish there was a way to save the building. It's beautiful.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngniems View Post
Clearly you haven't been to FDR on a Sunday. Those fields are packed with many Mexicans and Central Americans playing. There is a whole market they set up to accompany the games
Yea, as I mentioned, I go to FDR maybe 2-3 times a year on average, so I'm sure soccer games happen when I'm not there. Again though, even on these Sundays you describe, are there 12 soccer fields worth of people playing soccer?

Thanks for the info TonyTone. That makes sense as to why they are pursuing so many fields and I understand the city overall has a need. But attempting to use the space at FDR to try and address a city wide field shortage still seems like a bad idea for two reasons:

1- If these fields are not just for locals but will be for people from all across the city, again the question is why do they all have to be put in at FDR? Flooding is going to be a critical issues for Philadelphia's future and most green spaces in the city don't sit below sea level in what has historically been a wetland for centuries. The land at FDR can be turned into a useful meadow, why not put at least some of the fields at other locations that aren't uniquely situated to address storm water management?

2- Placing 12 fields here and adding a ton of parking here so that teams from across the city can come to FDR, seems like an anti-urban plan. I mentioned previously all the green spaces sprinkled through south philly where I'm always seeing people playing soccer. Why not put some real fields at these locations? Why make people travel to soccer fields when we can just put them in their own community. Having soccer fields across the city where residents can come together and play soccer seems a lot better than throwing them all in the corner of the city and forcing people to come to them? Again, I don't think I've ever walked through Marconi and NOT seen people playing soccer. Why not put one of these nice new fields up there? I think the fields would get A LOT more use this way as opposed to putting them all in FDR where I guarantee at any given time more than half of these fields will be open on most days.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 12:03 PM
Chris

A cool project just past the traffic circle.

Historic Brewery in East Kensington to Become a Restaurant
http://www.rising.realestate/histori...-a-restaurant/

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Yea, as I mentioned, I go to FDR maybe 2-3 times a year on average
You really should have stopped right there.

But it's cool, the entitled privileged hipsters will do what they want because they think they're better than everyone else as they contribute nothing to the city.

Construction equipment vandalized in part of FDR Park

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
You really should have stopped right there.

But it's cool, the entitled privileged hipsters will do what they want because they think they're better than everyone else as they contribute nothing to the city.

Construction equipment vandalized in part of FDR Park
Contribute nothing to the City? Lol good luck with your park. It's been pleasant engaging with you!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 1:02 PM

Quote:
It's certainly fascinating to think about why they designed a power plant so beautifully. Was it a cultural difference in how we thought of our infrastructure? Were the power companies just flexing their 'power'?

I like the way this photographer captured the insides, a lot of great photos:
https://www.abandonedamerica.us/richmond-power-station

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Contribute nothing to the City? Lol good luck with your park. It's been pleasant engaging with you!
I told you this topic fires me lol.. To be completely transparent, I grew up with a couple people, people I don't care for, who are very anti-FDR change. So my comment was more anecdotally based around them than any of you guys. I won't talk about the subject again, I said my piece.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 1:47 PM

No inflammatory comments please. We can have an informed discussion about FDR Park without ad hominem and hyperbole..

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 1:50 PM
BANNED

I would like to debate that what I said wasn’t inflammatory, it’s a simple remark from someone born and raised in this beautiful gritty city. One thing that pisses me off is someone removing my comments. I can be vulgar and inflammatory, but that doesn’t lead to anything constructive. What I said is a fair statement. Kind of weird to see someone be from Philly and not have thick skin.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Yea, as I mentioned, I go to FDR maybe 2-3 times a year on average, so I'm sure soccer games happen when I'm not there. Again though, even on these Sundays you describe, are there 12 soccer fields worth of people playing soccer?

Thanks for the info TonyTone. That makes sense as to why they are pursuing so many fields and I understand the city overall has a need. But attempting to use the space at FDR to try and address a city wide field shortage still seems like a bad idea for two reasons:

1- If these fields are not just for locals but will be for people from all across the city, again the question is why do they all have to be put in at FDR? Flooding is going to be a critical issues for Philadelphia's future and most green spaces in the city don't sit below sea level in what has historically been a wetland for centuries. The land at FDR can be turned into a useful meadow, why not put at least some of the fields at other locations that aren't uniquely situated to address storm water management?

2- Placing 12 fields here and adding a ton of parking here so that teams from across the city can come to FDR, seems like an anti-urban plan. I mentioned previously all the green spaces sprinkled through south philly where I'm always seeing people playing soccer. Why not put some real fields at these locations? Why make people travel to soccer fields when we can just put them in their own community. Having soccer fields across the city where residents can come together and play soccer seems a lot better than throwing them all in the corner of the city and forcing people to come to them? Again, I don't think I've ever walked through Marconi and NOT seen people playing soccer. Why not put one of these nice new fields up there? I think the fields would get A LOT more use this way as opposed to putting them all in FDR where I guarantee at any given time more than half of these fields will be open on most days.
To add some context, this project is not for the world cup. It's suppose to address flooding issues, add new walking/bike paths, kayaking, etc...
I would preferred if they cut some parking and encourage park goers to use the BSL line or bike to the park. This park should include the diverse sport cultures we have in Philly. Would be nice if they soccer fields can be used for sports like ultimate frisbee or football.
Understated is that more city parks need to be added to the city and existing parks need to be maintained.
Maybe once we can have a massive road diet on the Ben Franklin parkway we can more park area, maybe even a second sports field.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 1:21 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

I don't know if anyone knows about this site

https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer

But you can go to any place in the US put a year, and see what it looked like from above like google earth.

You can how many areas looked back in the day, and compare it.

Edit: Wow when you look at the city in the 1950 Ariel every single block was filled. All you see is Rowhomes.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Agreed. It's a gorgeous building I hope they incorporate it into whatever plans they have.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
A cool project just past the traffic circle.

Historic Brewery in East Kensington to Become a Restaurant
http://www.rising.realestate/histori...-a-restaurant/
Very happy they saved this building. They are also talking about converting Martha St to a pedestrian street…fingers crossed. Any word on which restaurant group or the restaurant type? I heard it was the group behind Suraya.

There’s also rumblings that there’s a larger restaurant space at Boston and Emerald site. Heard someone say “French bistro.” But don’t know if that was rumor, vision, or an actual proposal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development