HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post
Beside the risk to human life, there is also a municipal cost to building in flood zones whether via rescue, cleanup or remediation. I am in the camp that this project should not move forward and Venice island should be made into a park with ability to take in water during flooding, thus acting like a barrier to the rest of Manayunk. As a city we are not ready for climate change especially in Manayunk, NoLibs, along the Delaware piers and banks of the Schuylkill.
Making Venice Island into a park wouldn't mitigate flooding very much. It's certainly true to say that soil absorbs water far better than concrete and asphalt can, but floods like the one that happened last year don't happen just because of inadequate stormwater drainage, they happen because of extreme rainfall and are in most cases, unavoidable.

You could build a berm on Venice Island in an attempt to keep the eventual 100 year flooding at bay, but that would be expensive and may just end up redirecting more water into the canal.

If the residential floors are built above the 100 year floodplain, I see no problem with this development. Would I live there? Maybe, but that's because I don't own a car.

Better stormwater management along the entire Schuylkill would benefit Manayunk in the long term, but until then other than smaller improvements there's really no huge solution.

Philly in general is attempting to move away from a combined sewer-stormwater system, and when they've finished Manayunk will be in better shape for those 100 year floods. Updating the pumps that are in Manayunk would also help things.

Note: I am not a stormwater expert.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Why do people get so concerned about flooding? I don't mean to come off as heartless but the only parties that should really care are the developer and the tenants. And yet.....flooding hasn't deterred buyers/tenants. I would never live there precisely because of the flood risk. But I'm glad to see continued development here, as long as the banks will finance it and people want to live there and keep Main Street going. But if you're not living there or don't have a financial stake in the project, why would you care about the flooding?
taxpayers foot the bill for federal flood insurance

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Gotta love the misleading headline. I really hope this project moves forward, The change in brick color is a fine compromise, but I don't understand the historical commission mindset regarding height...
It actually infuriates me they changed the brick color. The commission should be happy it's brick and not some cheap metal panel.

I mean, if developers can't build like this on the 2200 block of Walnut...in one of the most underutilized pockets of Center City, then WHERE can they build up?

It's absolute bullshit.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 2:10 PM

I can’t confirm since I’m in California right now, but I received an email from the UFCA stating that work has officially started on the Francisville Triangle.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Gotta love the misleading headline. I really hope this project moves forward, The change in brick color is a fine compromise, but I don't understand the historical commission mindset regarding height...
The Inquirer loves its clickbait headlines. If I remember correctly, the headlines aren't written by the same people who write the articles. Either way, glad to see they've hired a new real estate reporter after Adelman apparently left. Jake Blumgart is a great reporter, too. I was sad when he left PlanPhilly, glad to have him back again.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 3:31 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Why do people get so concerned about flooding? I don't mean to come off as heartless but the only parties that should really care are the developer and the tenants. And yet.....flooding hasn't deterred buyers/tenants. I would never live there precisely because of the flood risk. But I'm glad to see continued development here, as long as the banks will finance it and people want to live there and keep Main Street going. But if you're not living there or don't have a financial stake in the project, why would you care about the flooding?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post
Beside the risk to human life, there is also a municipal cost to building in flood zones whether via rescue, cleanup or remediation. I am in the camp that this project should not move forward and Venice island should be made into a park with ability to take in water during flooding, thus acting like a barrier to the rest of Manayunk. As a city we are not ready for climate change especially in Manayunk, NoLibs, along the Delaware piers and banks of the Schuylkill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ok-ez View Post
taxpayers foot the bill for federal flood insurance
Exactly, this impacts all of us in the long run.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 3:33 PM

regarding 545 n broad, i think it does look really great in that golden hour photo. i've been a little disappointed with the facade materials but, like mcgrath said, canno is reliably awesome. it's fun to watch this progress and i think the final product will totally rock.

now that lvl north is activated with a grocery store and street trees i admit i'm a fan. i kind of love everything that's going on around broad/spring garden and hope that all of this culminates with the mural west tower

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I can’t confirm since I’m in California right now, but I received an email from the UFCA stating that work has officially started on the Francisville Triangle.
I walked by there last week and didn't see any activity. There were a few pieces of machinery with weeds growing all around them and cars parked all around the outer edge.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 5:13 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Van Alen View Post
The Inquirer loves its clickbait headlines. If I remember correctly, the headlines aren't written by the same people who write the articles. Either way, glad to see they've hired a new real estate reporter after Adelman apparently left. Jake Blumgart is a great reporter, too. I was sad when he left PlanPhilly, glad to have him back again.
Correct, editors write heds and there are different editors for online too. Adelman went to Barron's btw.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 5:33 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloworld View Post
regarding 545 n broad, i think it does look really great in that golden hour photo. i've been a little disappointed with the facade materials but, like mcgrath said, canno is reliably awesome. it's fun to watch this progress and i think the final product will totally rock.

now that lvl north is activated with a grocery store and street trees i admit i'm a fan. i kind of love everything that's going on around broad/spring garden and hope that all of this culminates with the mural west tower
There's actually trees?! That's good to hear.

Any my friend who lives a block West said the new Giant is awesome and convenient.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 6:54 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
Heard from a friend who lives nearby that they put up signs saying they were going to start towing cars parked on the edges of the lot starting 7/25, so it may well be under construction. I remember there’s been 1 or 2 other times they’ve tried to crack down on people parking there and nothing actually ended up happening (in terms of the construction, but also in terms of people parking there LOL), but I guess we’ll see.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2022, 9:18 PM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
There's actually trees?! That's good to hear.

Any my friend who lives a block West said the new Giant is awesome and convenient.
this project turned out way better than I was anticipating and the Giant is indeed huge and awesome. def a big win for the area along with all the other projects close by

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 12:08 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 2:10 PM
Chris

^ Second picture, does anyone know what housing complex is just to the left of the Fairmount Manor site? It looks in rough shape.

And the 2100 Hamilton Condo building turned out a lot better than the renders, the angles make up for the all glass façade.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 2:31 PM

The city launched what they’re calling Framing the Future of the Roundhouse this week to determine the best way to move forward with the building.

There is engagement opportunities (and a cool photo of the pre-cast construction from 1960) in the link below and there will be an open house event at Franklin square next Thursday 8/4 from 1-5.

www.roundhousefutures.comhttp://www.roundhousefutures.com

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 2:54 PM

Quote:
^ Second picture, does anyone know what housing complex is just to the left of the Fairmount Manor site? It looks in rough shape.
It's just called the Spring Garden Apartments PHA.

Also, great photo updates helloworld and TonyTone! Keep em coming.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 6:58 PM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post

Love love lovin' your new drone
Since Low Rise haven't their own threads
Please tag w addresses

Last edited by SEFTA; Jul 28, 2022 at 7:10 PM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 7:13 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Love love lovin' your new drone
Since Low Rise haven't their own threads
Please tag w addresses
Thank you, ill have some more heat this week!

I meant to do that last night. Ill update these & do it for future posts as well.

I really think for projects of a certain size that dont hit the height limit requirement for a thread should still get one due to it the project being large in width & size compared to height.

@Mcgrath @Summers what do you guys think?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Thank you, ill have some more heat this week!

I meant to do that last night. Ill update these & do it for future posts as well.

I really think for projects of a certain size that dont hit the height limit requirement for a thread should still get one due to it the project being large in width & size compared to height.

@Mcgrath @Summers what do you guys think?
Rules are rules. Nothing below 12 stories.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 7:49 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Rules are rules. Nothing below 12 stories.
That makes sense. Whats the 12 commandments of SSP?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development