HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk View Post
Ugh, why can't they tear down the other block of the fashion district, I love the AMC there lol.
It stinks to lose the new theater but really, they should get AMC to take the up stairs of the other building and just move those stores to the lower levels where they should be anyway.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
It stinks to lose the new theater but really, they should get AMC to take the up stairs of the other building and just move those stores to the lower levels where they should be anyway.

Fashion District remodeling was just done for $400M, and this plan eliminates half of it?

That is on top of the $1.3B it will cost to build the new arena?

What needs to be done is for Comcast to exit the sports business. Sell the Wells Fargo Center, the Flyers, and the land in South Philly to Harris & Co, and place the new arena where the old Spectrum once stood.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
Fashion District remodeling was just done for $400M, and this plan eliminates half of it?

That is on top of the $1.3B it will cost to build the new arena?

What needs to be done is for Comcast to exit the sports business. Sell the Wells Fargo Center, the Flyers, and the land in South Philly to Harris & Co, and place the new arena where the old Spectrum once stood.
Considering Roberts Jr. is the CEO of Comcast Spectacor, there’s no way they are exiting that business. As the news notes too, the current owners of the Fashion District are in favor of it. PREIT, the REIT that did the remodel, already went belly up and doesn’t control the buildings hence why it doesn’t really matter hundreds of millions were already sunk into the property.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 12:42 PM

Write me down for a “love/hate” for this plan.

The AMC/City Winery part of the FD is the only cool part of that entire project. Those amenities were badly needed in CC. Why do we always have to take two steps back to take one forward.

Don’t get me wrong, NBA in CC is an exciting prospect and will hopefully transform Market East. It’s such a $h!thole right now (with junkies and homeless roaming like zombies) that anything would help. But I gotta think that the Disney Hole would have been a cheaper alternative, even if Goldenberg holds out for super max dollars.

It’s cool to have this in market east. Just sucks that we have to lose something great to get it.

I freaking hate goldenberg.

Last edited by Redddog; Jul 21, 2022 at 1:58 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 12:44 PM

This is how it's done! This is going to be amazing for East Market. With so many games per year, plus the ability to host huge events and concerts - this is a big yes for me. Now get the Disney Hole filled in.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 12:48 PM

Is the Fargo really that dated of a venue? I go to a yearly Flyers game and I really don't see anything wrong with it. Maybe they just want to get out from having to pay Comcast for using the arena 41 times a year.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 12:51 PM

From their FAQs:

Quote:
What will happen to the mall?
We will be partnering with Macerich, the current owner, to reimagine the remaining ⅔ of the mall as part of a world class sports & entertainment hub to complement the arena. We look forward to sharing information on future plans as they are available.
If they take that 9th to 10th block and have sports bars, restaurants etc with outdoor seating spilling out onto Market, slam dunk. Maybe this group will finally be the ones with the might to get that East Market methadone clinic moved and clean up that stretch for good.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleetMcDougle View Post
This is how it's done! This is going to be amazing for East Market. With so many games per year, plus the ability to host huge events and concerts - this is a big yes for me. Now get the Disney Hole filled in.
Big YES for me, too. There are plenty of other locations for whatever is housed in the FD. This project will be transformative for Market East and provide a big boost for SEPTA ridership. It will undoubtedly attract other investment dollars to the area, probably even before the new arena opens. Now, if only the Convention Center would install a living, green roof, I could die happy.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlmatt View Post
From their FAQs:

If they take that 9th to 10th block and have sports bars, restaurants etc with outdoor seating spilling out onto Market, slam dunk. Maybe this group will finally be the ones with the might to get that East Market methadone clinic moved and clean up that stretch for good.
I'm of course not especially sad to see the FD go but man, we literally just dropped millions in public money into the renovations.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 12:57 PM

The more I look at this proposal, the more I like it! Center City is a great choice for an arena, and I'd rather have it at 10th and Market than the Disney Hole. Admittedly, my first (and likely unrealistic) choice was Broad and Lehigh, but this will do a lot to activate a stretch of East Market (approximately 6th-11th Street) that needs a boost of energy.

This will also activate North 11th, North 10th, and the 1000 block of Filbert Street.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Is the Fargo really that dated of a venue? I go to a yearly Flyers game and I really don't see anything wrong with it. Maybe they just want to get out from having to pay Comcast for using the arena 41 times a year.
It's not that outdated, in fact comcast is spending a few hundred million to upgrade it. the sixers just want to have their own place instead of being a tenant.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 1:06 PM

Pro: 10th between Market and Filbert becomes an open street again.
Con: Filbert between 10th and 11th becomes a covered street.

I think the first domino to fall here won't be the Disney Hole, but the Greyhound Station. There's absolutely no way they'll continue sitting on that piece of land with a venue like this next to it. That site can also support something huge.

Edit: never mind, this project actually takes up the Greyhound lot.

Last edited by mcgrath618; Jul 21, 2022 at 1:24 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 1:09 PM

Put the eSports arena at the Disney Hole you cowards

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Write me down for a “love/hate” for this plan.

The AMC/City Winery part of the FD is the only cool part of that entire project.
The project will take nine years to plan and build. I’m sure AMC/City Winery will have time to relocate elsewhere in the city. A lot can happen in a decade. The amount of restaurants, hotels and retail the arena will bring to the area will likely make up for it.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleetMcDougle View Post
Put the eSports arena at the Disney Hole you cowards
That's a Comcast endeavor. If it happens at all it'll happen down at Pattison with the rest of their stuff.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
The project will take nine years to plan and build. I’m sure AMC/City Winery will have time to relocate elsewhere in the city. A lot can happen in a decade. The amount of restaurants, hotels and retail the arena will bring to the area will likely make up for it.
City Winery isn't on this portion of the site, so that shouldn't be going anywhere.

The block across the street on the other side of Market hopefully gets redeveloped in the meantime, it looks horrible.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 1:42 PM

I am only OK with this if they relocate the AMC and arcade/bowling alley. For those of us who do not have cars, having that in a central location is key.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Wow! I still have hesitations, but I am happy to see part of the FD go, a dream come true for many of us, lol.

And we may also finally see movement on the Disney Hole because of this.

Is completely privately funded common these days for a new arena?
As a season ticket holder who just saw a crazy price hike...I can assure you that it's not as "privately funded" as you'd think....

But to answer your question - their has been such a backlash over publicly funded stadiums over the last 20 years that it's now shifting away from that model. These teams are worth too much money at this point relative to the cost of an arena that it's not even a discussion it seems. Ballmer just built a new arena for the Clippers, Lacob just opened the new GSW arena in SF - privately funded.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Pro: 10th between Market and Filbert becomes an open street again.
Con: Filbert between 10th and 11th becomes a covered street.
I’d like to see the eastern half of FD demolished as well. Urban enclosed malls are lame. Put a east/west walkway through it like they did with East Market and two towers on each side and boom make it an extension of the Arena District.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngniems View Post
I am only OK with this if they relocate the AMC and arcade/bowling alley. For those of us who do not have cars, having that in a central location is key.
I would love if AMC and round 1 moved to the Disney hole with a office tower/residential.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development