HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Excavation Nears Completion For Thomas Jefferson Specialty Care Pavilion At 1101 Chestnut Street

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2020/12/unea...nter-city.html
Check it out...

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 2:43 PM

all 3 in 1:

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 8:55 PM

Jefferson’s Honickman Center Close to Completion as Final (?) Phase of East Market

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...of-east-market

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 1:51 PM

I'm curious how the park is going to turn out here, specifically whether Jefferson Security is going to keep people moving along. There are certainly some "characters" outside the 711, Target and liquor store.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
I'm curious how the park is going to turn out here, specifically whether Jefferson Security is going to keep people moving along. There are certainly some "characters" outside the 711, Target and liquor store.
Usually "characters" prefer to stay away from private parks and public places and stick to 7/11 and corners with abandoned storefronts.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Jefferson’s Honickman Center Close to Completion as Final (?) Phase of East Market

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...of-east-market
Holy shit was this project a slam dunk. This has to be one of, if not my favorite new building in the city.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 10:56 PM

The only thing I noticed recently that we might be disappointed with is that there's going to be no real pedestrian interaction on Chestnut other than an art wall

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 12:00 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
The only thing I noticed recently that we might be disappointed with is that there's going to be no real pedestrian interaction on Chestnut other than an art wall
I think that park will be a good touch on 12th & Chestnut, it will be a nice gathering area for people during the summer, and add a different feel to the area especially with that new high-rise.

Another positive note about that is this park, and new tower can cause a surge of new businesses in the area filling some of the vacancies.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 3:12 PM

The park has a better chance of success considering it'll be run by Jefferson and not the city. Otherwise I'd say it would have a strong homeless presence which inevitably brings crime/trash/drug use.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
The park has a better chance of success considering it'll be run by Jefferson and not the city. Otherwise I'd say it would have a strong homeless presence which inevitably brings crime/trash/drug use.
How do you measure the success of a park?

lol.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
How do you measure the success of a park?

lol.
Personally, my highest things in terms of pocket parks like this are maintenance/cleaning, and how inviting it is with available seating and shade. I don't think it's unrealistic that Jefferson will take better care of it then the city.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Personally, my highest things in terms of pocket parks like this are maintenance/cleaning, and how inviting it is with available seating and shade. I don't think it's unrealistic that Jefferson will take better care of it then the city.
The Quasi-public park at 10th and Locust is pretty busy during the spring/summer/warmer fall days. So I am sure if similar it will be popular. There is about to be 500+ new residents in WSQW /Gayborhood in the next 2yrs and except for WSQ park and Louis Khan Park there isn't really that many public parks in the Gayborhood/WSQW.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpskibot View Post
The Quasi-public park at 10th and Locust is pretty busy during the spring/summer/warmer fall days. So I am sure if similar it will be popular. There is about to be 500+ new residents in WSQW /Gayborhood in the next 2yrs and except for WSQ park and Louis Khan Park there isn't really that many public parks in the Gayborhood/WSQW.
yeah, I think it will be a nice addition to the neighborhood

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 3:55 PM
Philly Pholly

maybe a large lawn with inconvenient sprinklers

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 9:54 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
maybe a large lawn with inconvenient sprinklers
Like Rittenhouse Square, where the sprinklers often douse bench-sitters in the late evening. It’s always a source of amusement to see people surprised by the sprinklers, which spray more than just the lawn.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
I think that park will be a good touch on 12th & Chestnut, it will be a nice gathering area for people during the summer, and add a different feel to the area especially with that new high-rise.

Another positive note about that is this park, and new tower can cause a surge of new businesses in the area filling some of the vacancies.

Besides the park though, while I think this will look cool, the only miss for me is that the lack of retail and entrances/exits will deactivate much of the block, when Chestnut should have more active uses as a main street. The same kind of deadzone already happens on Chestnut behind Jefferson Hospital and the other institutions from 9th-11th. These large single use parcels is part of what makes this strip much different than the Rittenhouse side's fine grained experience.

This is just my nitpick on what I would find ideal. It's a beautiful building though and will bring a lot of good for the patients.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 11:19 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post

Besides the park though, while I think this will look cool, the only miss for me is that the lack of retail and entrances/exits will deactivate much of the block, when Chestnut should have more active uses as a main street. The same kind of deadzone already happens on Chestnut behind Jefferson Hospital and the other institutions from 9th-11th. These large single use parcels is part of what makes this strip much different than the Rittenhouse side's fine grained experience.

This is just my nitpick on what I would find ideal. It's a beautiful building though and will bring a lot of good for the patients.
I agree, the single parcel use tenants kill the vibe of the block, and the biggest one in this area is Jefferson, which in theory is a very good tenant to have.

I think what could help this area out especially in the summer is more news stands, and food trucks to help with the dead zone. This could also make this part of the city a designated food market in the middle of the city.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 11:50 PM

Here's the site plan. Looks like there will be retail fronting the park, a small retail spot on Chestnut, and a lobby entrance on Chestnut. Looks like the decorative wall may be the back of the elevator bay?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 12:03 AM

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Here's the site plan. Looks like there will be retail fronting the park, a small retail spot on Chestnut, and a lobby entrance on Chestnut. Looks like the decorative wall may be the back of the elevator bay?

Unfortunately on the current virtual tour page, it looks like the chestnut st retail was scrapped for the art wall and a reconfiguration of space :/

I'm curious if the leftmost space will still be retail? It's not labeled

https://giftmap.jefferson.edu/honickman/tour/lobby

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive