HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 6:50 PM

Nice. Taking advantage of that waterfront.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 8:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
interesting, the skyline at lougheed/burquitlam in the background is surprisingly tall, almost sci-fi like with the mountainous backdrop
Yes, there are some views from Surrey that just look amazing and there will be an 80-storey addition in a few years. In all, that area will see about 40+ new towers in the next decade, either under construction now or proposed. In my section alone there are still 3 more towers to come, 3 have just been completed. Soco is also rising fast now and should pop up in the skyline next year.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 9:41 AM
perhaps . . .

Just before the warm weather ended I went for a ride that included the old Patullo Bridge (a little hellish for cycling by the way): there is a very cool view northward: river foreground, then a compression of Brewery District, RCH, Laugheed, Burquitlam, and even the small towers at SFU . . . a bit boggling all together. Would make for a very interesting (tele)photo, all you local photographers out there.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 10:19 PM

^ This view?

It would probably be best to wait for the completion of the new Patullo Bridge as it will have much better sightlines with pedestrian and cycling lanes on both the west and east sides of the bridge (although you'll have to stick your camera through the suicide barrier for a clear shot).

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 8:42 AM
perhaps . . .

Yes, the new bridge will be a much better place for it. I ain't stupid, but the thought, "could I get to the far side of the Patullo and live," has rattled through my mind once, twice, every time I have used the bridge on my bike (a dozen or so).

Something else I noticed on my ride; looking south, North Road lines up with that lonely tower in Delta; and, coming south down Columbia in Sapperton gives you a view that aligns right up with the tower for the new bridge. It is interesting to be able to read the layout of the region with landmarks capping long distance views down streets and roads.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 9:29 PM

Left to right: Surrey, New West (mostly hidden by the hill), Highgate Village, Metrotown, Brentwood, Lougheed (foreground), Burquitlam

https://www.flickr.com/photos/onikon...h/52537735557/

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 11:34 PM

Wow and to think none of that includes actual Vancouver lol!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2023, 2:51 AM

The Edmonds and Metrotown skylines of Burnaby as viewed from downtown New Westminster.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2023, 10:04 PM

Beautiful winter day views of Burnaby from just before Christmas.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 11:17 PM
Ocean Breeze

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 4:11 AM
Midtowner since 2K

That last image is amazing. It looks like a proper downtown from that angle. The other images of Vancouver's suburbs are pretty wild as well, some of them remind me of a "Canadian" version of south western cities in the US, like Salt Lake, with the mountains surrounding the downtown/big buildings and surrounding areas.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 3:54 PM
I am the law!

Those panos of Brentwood win this thread.

The skyline is spartan; a work in progress like most suburban skylines. The peaks are good. It's need the valleys intensified. Of course, the current peaks are as likely to end up as part of the valleys lol

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 7:51 PM

There's at least 3 huge multi tower projects in the works that will help fill out those gaps.

Southyards

Brentwood Block

Brentwood West

Not to mention all the towers left to build in the coming phases of Amazing Brentwood and Concord Brentwood.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 10:23 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^almost Miesian
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 10:26 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
I remember back in the early 90s (when I worked for a spell off of Kingsway near Gilly), when the two Metrotown office towers on the left stood head and shoulders above anything else there. What a huge difference today.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2023, 11:59 AM

Went to the parking garage in Burlington. I like the slightly better views you get from those. As long as there's something interesting to look at and there's a lack of other higher up vantage points. Used to park at the top of the one next to The Bay at Square One in Mississauga just for the hell of it. Would be the only car up there and it felt like I was in the movies and a shootout/car chase was about to happen.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2023, 1:50 PM

Secteur La Cité in Gatineau 1988 v. 2022 (different angle).

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=...62987002538627

Different angle today.

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle...ment-promoteur

Old Posted Apr 5, 2023, 11:14 PM
be nice to the crackheads

New Westminster skyline

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 1:32 PM

I know Vancouver isn't expected to surpass Montreal in size for another 50-60 years but in so many of the pictures it already looks much larger, even on par with Toronto. It would be interesting to see how all our cities look in 50 years. The crazy thing is Montreal will be around 7.5 million by then for the metro area so we will have 2 cities at that size and who knows how large Toronto will be by then. At this rate Vancouver will look absolutely massive when it becomes the second largest city in the nation.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2023, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I know Vancouver isn't expected to surpass Montreal in size for another 50-60 years but in so many of the pictures it already looks much larger, even on par with Toronto. It would be interesting to see how all our cities look in 50 years. The crazy thing is Montreal will be around 7.5 million by then for the metro area so we will have 2 cities at that size and who knows how large Toronto will be by then. At this rate Vancouver will look absolutely massive when it becomes the second largest city in the nation.
I wouldn't go as far as saying "on par with Toronto" in any way, though maybe Vans suburbs on on par with Toronto's.

But yes, I agree that the Downtown Peninsula and suburban clusters make it look larger than Montreal in some respects however, the Montreal building boom over the last decade has helped in catch-up, and maybe surpass, Vancouver (Downtown v. Downtown), excluding the suburbs).

The beauty of Montreal is how bonkers dense it is throughout it's territory (City proper) with thousands of walkups, while Vancouver's density is focused on the Peninsula and a few suburban tower clusters, while the rest is mostly sfh.

That said, Vancouver and Montreal are my favourite cities in Canada. If ever I moved out of Ottawa, they would be my top choices, followed maybe by Victoria.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada