HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I often wonder how well a mall like St. Vital Centre would have done if it were placed instead at Plaza and Pembina other than where it is. Probably would be doing a lot better being able to profit more directly off the U of M, etc.
St vital centre is in the best place possible. It has zero places to compete with. It's surrounded by a very well to do middle and upper class neighborhoods.

One only needs to see how Fort Richmond mall survived. It didn't.
Or the mall at Pembina and Bishop. Now it's just big box stores.

The U of M isn't exactly where a mall makes its money. If that were the case Portage Place would have been a huge success since it's right beside UofW.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
St vital centre is in the best place possible. It has zero places to compete with. It's surrounded by a very well to do middle and upper class neighborhoods.

One only needs to see how Fort Richmond mall survived. It didn't.
Or the mall at Pembina and Bishop. Now it's just big box stores.

The U of M isn't exactly where a mall makes its money. If that were the case Portage Place would have been a huge success since it's right beside UofW.
I agree with your point but to be fair the U of M has 20,000 more students than the U of W. And the area surrounding the U of M is actually safe.

And isn't St. Vital Mall struggling at the moment? Last time I went I remember it feeling a lot more like Grant Park mall than Polo Park. Lots of vacancies and lower-end / local stores. As far as malls go in the city the Outlet Mall and Polo really stand alone IMO.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 4:11 AM

St. Vital has been absolutely clobbered the last five years. The combination of covid and the outlet mall opening have done a number on the place. Comparing it to Grant Park is dead on. Its days as a destination retailer are arguably over... I'm sure it will continue to fill with more "neighbourhood services" like the Fit4Less, Dynacare, etc.

Probably rough times for the mall business in general, I'd say. Even Polo Park doesn't seem to be thriving. I went there for the first time in a long time a couple of weeks ago and the place feels much "harder", more Portage Place like. So much stuff under lock and key, way more security keeping a close watch on people. I didn't see anything bad happen but the vibe was such that it felt like chaos could break out at any moment. It's a far cry from the sanitized experience that going to the mall used to be.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 1:14 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Just yesterday, I was inside Polo Park for the first time in at least two or three years. I was surprised at how many closed storefronts there are in there.

Also amazed at how many cellphone kiosks there are within 100 feet of each other who are all essentially selling the same thing and competing for the same consumer. How do they all survive?

Last edited by Only The Lonely..; Jun 15, 2022 at 1:25 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Just yesterday, I was inside Polo Park for the first time in at least two or three years. I was surprised at how many closed storefronts there are in there.

Also amazed at how many cellphone kiosks there are within 100 feet of each other who are all essentially selling the same thing and competing for the same consumer. How do they all survive?

i was in West Acres mall in Fargo, ND this past weekend and similar experience. it's not a "Winnipeg thing"

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 2:23 PM
What could go wrong?

Polo Park is doing a fair bit of reorganizing stores right now. Apparently some new stores coming. They will be fine.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Polo Park is doing a fair bit of reorganizing stores right now. Apparently some new stores coming. They will be fine.
I guess if any local mall will weather the storm and come out on the other end, it's them. Every other one is kind of questionable at this point.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 2:53 PM
the first stamp is free

Not sure if it has been mentioned here, but I have heard from a reliable source that Banana Republic at PP is closing at the end of June.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Not sure if it has been mentioned here, but I have heard from a reliable source that Banana Republic at PP is closing at the end of June.
So all that will be left is the outlet mall store?

Kind of sad. I like BR stuff and buy a fair bit of it. But I guess I didn't help the situation any as it's been years since I've set foot in the Polo Park BR store...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 3:00 PM

Quote:
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...576593022.html

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 3:06 PM
What could go wrong?

It's not Winnipeg related. They are closing almost 400 stores in North America.

"While that’s not to say the Banana Republic brand is waning — Banana Republic sales were up 24 per cent in the first three months of the year — the plan is to have about 870 Banana Republic and Gap stores in the US and Canada by the end of next year, compared to 1,216 in 2019."
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 3:10 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
I promise that wasn't my source...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 3:11 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
So all that will be left is the outlet mall store?

Kind of sad. I like BR stuff and buy a fair bit of it. But I guess I didn't help the situation any as it's been years since I've set foot in the Polo Park BR store...
Ditto - I know my shirt size there, wait for sales and buy exclusively online...

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 4:26 PM

Quote:
I promise that wasn't my source...
I figured you hadn’t seen that yet haha

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 6:21 PM

Just my personal opinion: If Biff didn't consistently and thoroughly quash so much of the "doom & gloom/Winnipeg sucks" chatter you see here with accurate information and calm perspective, this forum would quickly become unreadable.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 6:56 PM
What could go wrong?

No new buildings are in the city's future, I heard there was a plan to turn large area's of the city into natural grasslands, and are looking to reduce all retail in the city to one corner type store - one storey, tons of parking.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2022, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
and are looking to reduce all retail in the city to one corner type store - one storey, tons of parking.
...so, basically Costco

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
...so, basically Costco

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 2:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
i was in West Acres mall in Fargo, ND this past weekend and similar experience. it's not a "Winnipeg thing"
Passed through there a few weeks back, notice how everything is the same price or more than here now, in fact most groceries priced higher than here in US dollars!~

Old Posted Jun 16, 2022, 2:40 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Passed through there a few weeks back, notice how everything is the same price or more than here now, in fact most groceries priced higher than here in US dollars!~
Were you just buying bulk bags of Jack Links and bathrobes?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan