HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 3:51 PM

The rail link is the important part anyways, and already goes to churchill. There's the argument that it gets washed out frequently, but a theoretical Port Nelson rail line would only be ~150km shorter from Gillam, so the potential benefit is basically trivial

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 5:20 PM

Hudbay railway has a bit of money and they are doing a study on how to best deal with the permafrost issue.

Trying to build a new railway along the Nelson may have some benefits. But IIRC it still needs to go through the loon crap there too. Building a deep water port is no small task. But I'd be interested to know more about it.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Hudbay railway has a bit of money and they are doing a study on how to best deal with the permafrost issue.

Trying to build a new railway along the Nelson may have some benefits. But IIRC it still needs to go through the loon crap there too. Building a deep water port is no small task. But I'd be interested to know more about it.
Wouldn’t a road also be affected by the permafrost?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2023, 9:26 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

that was a crazy power outage 3 days no power in northern mb and no water

Old Posted Jul 24, 2023, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
Wouldn’t a road also be affected by the permafrost?
Yes but there's already an established port and railway there.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2023, 11:23 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 1:22 PM

A Winkler-based pork production facility is joining forces with an international industry titan on a $52.8-million expansion.

Winkler Meats and Johnsonville Holdings, the group behind United States-based Johnsonville sausages, are doubling Winkler Meats' space and say they’ll create more than 100 new jobs in Manitoba.

Winkler Meats expects the expansion to increase its production sevenfold.

The provincial and federal governments are contributing nearly $2.4 million to the project.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 2:18 PM

I gotta say from my time working at the meat department at Superstore, the Winkler stuff sells like hot cakes. They know how to make a good ass sausage and Manitoba has world class pork so it’s time for the province too show it off internationally.

Great news!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
I'm not completely shitting on the idea, although it may sound that way lol

But they might as well start fresh with the port at Nelson. That bridge is falling over and needs to be re-built. The island itself is the same.

Best use of funds IMO is get better access into Churchill and use the port that is in operation there.

Port Nelson would be cool though. End of road at Conawapa is only 80km IIRC to the coast. Even just as a touristy thing. Drive to the coast in Manitoba.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2023, 4:24 PM

^ There is no way any of that stuff in Port Nelson which hasn't been maintained for a century could be reused... it would mean starting from scratch.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 8:16 PM

Another solar panel plant proposed for Manitoba. At least we have sand.
https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/?archive=&item=60084

News Release - Manitoba
July 26, 2023
MANITOBA GOVERNMENT, RCT SOLUTIONS SIGN MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING TO ADVANCE $3-BILLION SOLAR MANUFACTURING PROPOSAL
– – –
Project Would Create 8,000 Jobs, Give Manitoba Major Export Advantage over International Competitors: Wharton

To power the growth of Manitoba’s low-carbon economy and set a strategic course toward domestic renewable energy manufacturing, the Manitoba government has signed a memorandum of understanding with German solar technology provider and manufacturer RCT Solutions to explore the construction of a state-of-the-art production facility within the province, Economic Development, Investment and Trade Minister Jeff Wharton announced today.

“This plant would be the first of its kind in the world with a fully integrated manufacturing process when it is completed,” said Wharton. “Our government has worked tirelessly to create a business environment in which a global company like RCT Solutions can thrive and grow, and we’re pleased to begin the process of welcoming them to our province.”

RCT Solutions is planning to develop the cleanest advanced manufacturing hub in the world in Manitoba, the minister said, adding that RCT and its partners are exploring options to invest $3 billion into the new facility, with the potential to create 8,000 permanent, full-time jobs for Manitobans.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Another solar panel plant proposed for Manitoba. At least we have sand.
https://news.gov.mb.ca/news/?archive=&item=60084

News Release - Manitoba
July 26, 2023
MANITOBA GOVERNMENT, RCT SOLUTIONS SIGN MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING TO ADVANCE $3-BILLION SOLAR MANUFACTURING PROPOSAL
– – –
Project Would Create 8,000 Jobs, Give Manitoba Major Export Advantage over International Competitors: Wharton

To power the growth of Manitoba’s low-carbon economy and set a strategic course toward domestic renewable energy manufacturing, the Manitoba government has signed a memorandum of understanding with German solar technology provider and manufacturer RCT Solutions to explore the construction of a state-of-the-art production facility within the province, Economic Development, Investment and Trade Minister Jeff Wharton announced today.

“This plant would be the first of its kind in the world with a fully integrated manufacturing process when it is completed,” said Wharton. “Our government has worked tirelessly to create a business environment in which a global company like RCT Solutions can thrive and grow, and we’re pleased to begin the process of welcoming them to our province.”

RCT Solutions is planning to develop the cleanest advanced manufacturing hub in the world in Manitoba, the minister said, adding that RCT and its partners are exploring options to invest $3 billion into the new facility, with the potential to create 8,000 permanent, full-time jobs for Manitobans.
I just hope its not put in portage as portage struggles so much in attracting workers to work there compared to Winkler

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 9:28 PM

Regarding the RCT Solutions news release: I'm not sure how far along a "memorandum of understanding" is in the process to get this project started, but it seems past an "initial inquiries" phase" and into a "we could get serious" phase. It's certainly encouraging! I'd love to see this come about.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Regarding the RCT Solutions news release: I'm not sure how far along a "memorandum of understanding" is in the process to get this project started, but it seems past an "initial inquiries" phase" and into a "we could get serious" phase. It's certainly encouraging! I'd love to see this come about.
It's currently in the "wanting to send out press releases before the writ drops on Sept 5 to take credit for a deal that hasn't even happened" stage

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I just hope its not put in portage as portage struggles so much in attracting workers to work there compared to Winkler
I feel like I heard it was going to be near Dugald. Unless that is the Sio Silica project?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2023, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
I feel like I heard it was going to be near Dugald. Unless that is the Sio Silica project?
The latter, and the initial mining, should it unfortunately go ahead, is well east of Dugald.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 2:41 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
I'm not completely shitting on the idea, although it may sound that way lol

But they might as well start fresh with the port at Nelson. That bridge is falling over and needs to be re-built. The island itself is the same.

Best use of funds IMO is get better access into Churchill and use the port that is in operation there.

Port Nelson would be cool though. End of road at Conawapa is only 80km IIRC to the coast. Even just as a touristy thing. Drive to the coast in Manitoba.
yea thats in rough shape would totaly need all new get some crzy floos and currnts there too

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 2:54 PM

I hope that we can land that in Winnipeg, major unused industrial land around

Portage is under review for a massive Jet fuel facility made from Ag products.
https://globalnews.ca/news/9781661/m...g-plant-study/

Selkirk was suppose to get a massive solar "glass" plant. https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/puts-sel...lant-1.6059025

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 3:12 PM

The solar panel thing would be a good fit for CentrePort rail park. Otherwise somewhere outside of the City would be best. Maybe on the outskirts somewhere with rail access.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2023, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
yea thats in rough shape would totaly need all new get some crzy floos and currnts there too
I thought the crazy flows/currents and rapid sediment buildup was the reason Port Nelson was abandoned 100 years ago. A totally rebuilt deepwater port would still have to overcome those issues.

If you can get past the political rhetoric and potshots, this commentary offers an argument for Port Nelson over Churchill.

https://www.westernstandard.news/opi...4e0cb9cb9.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan