HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 1:58 PM
you know where I'll be

^ That's great news.....talk about a long time coming!!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 5:24 PM

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...-for-expansion

October 20, 2016
Massive South Loop data center ready for expansion
By RYAN ORI

One of the world's largest data centers is about to get a whole lot bigger in the South Loop.

Digital Realty Trust, which owns the 1.1 million-square-foot Lakeside Technology Center, said it is planning to build a 12-story, 698,000-square-foot annex at 330 E. Cermak Road. That is just west of its existing facility at 350 E. Cermak.

The buildings will be separated by Calumet Avenue, but will be connected underground, according to the real estate investment trust.

At about 1.8 million square feet, the combined new facility would be larger than all but seven existing data centers in the world, all of which are in China, according to a recent study by IT Brand Pulse.

“We consider (350 E. Cermak) the dominant carrier hotel in the region, and really the backbone of the internet in the Midwest,” said John Stewart, senior vice president of investor relations at Digital Realty. “It's a sought-after location by a number of data center users. Our expectation is to be able to build off that success.”

San Francisco-based Digital Realty is developing the new structure in a joint venture with Oak Brook-based CenterPoint Properties, which owns the land. The property is near the future DePaul basketball arena and 1,206-room Marriott Marquis hotel that the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority is developing.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Solstice on the Park in Hyde Park was issued a new construction building permit yesterday.
Beat me to it! They've demolished the old sales center, and now have started work on removing the old underground garage. I would assume the latter will take a while, though I've never seen an underground garage demoed before.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post

October 20, 2016
Is this the best design they could do? Did they actually hire architects? Bits of it are harmonizing with the ABC building's design, but they seem to carry it through lazily.

Also, will this be the world's tallest data center? (Or at least outside of China?)

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post

October 20, 2016
By RYAN ORI

One of the world's largest data centers is about to get a whole lot bigger in the South Loop.

Digital Realty Trust, which owns the 1.1 million-square-foot Lakeside Technology Center, said it is planning to build a 12-story, 698,000-square-foot annex at 330 E. Cermak Road. That is just west of its existing facility at 350 E. Cermak.

The buildings will be separated by Calumet Avenue, but will be connected underground, according to the real estate investment trust.

At about 1.8 million square feet, the combined new facility would be larger than all but seven existing data centers in the world, all of which are in China, according to a recent study by IT Brand Pulse.

“We consider (350 E. Cermak) the dominant carrier hotel in the region, and really the backbone of the internet in the Midwest,” said John Stewart, senior vice president of investor relations at Digital Realty. “It's a sought-after location by a number of data center users. Our expectation is to be able to build off that success.”

San Francisco-based Digital Realty is developing the new structure in a joint venture with Oak Brook-based CenterPoint Properties, which owns the land. The property is near the future DePaul basketball arena and 1,206-room Marriott Marquis hotel that the Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority is developing.

This just seems like a waste of a great lot. On one side you have the city and developers trying to rejuvinate the area and on the other side have another developer further sterilizing it. Guess it will be a data center with some nice lake views.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHi View Post
This just seems like a waste of a great lot. On one side you have the city and developers trying to rejuvinate the area and on the other side have another developer further sterilizing it. Guess it will be a data center with some nice lake views.
I don't understand why they don't build data centers underground with residential on top of it... or commercial... just think, free heating!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiHi View Post
I remember the public meetings for the PD for this project. Most of the neighbors were concerned about noise and retail. As in, they wanted ironclad guarantees that there would be no retail here and no retail added to the existing data center. It just blew my mind.

From what I remember, this site was approved for a data center clocking in at around 300 feet tall, but the above article says 12 floors. It's clear from the photo that there will be some very tall ceilings, but anyone want to hazard a guess as to height? 200 ft?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near North Resident View Post
I don't understand why they don't build data centers underground with residential on top of it... or commercial... just think, free heating!
Even better, how about just re-purposing empty parking stalls in all the residential buildings downtown and not building any new data centers?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 4:38 PM

It seems like a data center could be tucked away in a nondescript location, but there are reasons why they locate where they do.
Certain favored locations sit right on top of multiple independent fiber access points, as well as multiple independent power feeds. So even in the event of a major power line failure, there are redundant backups. This site must be at a major crossroads of both data and electricity availability and reliability.
If you've seen servers for latency sensitive applications, like stock trading, you'll notice that they take great care to keep every wire as short as possible, because each extra meter adds nanoseconds to the transaction. Even at the speed of light, this means the other guy gets their trade in before you do, so there is no messing around. You need to be exactly on top of that backbone fiber. When a meter of cable can make a difference, just think of what moving the data center a few blocks away could do to performance.
As far as architecture, data centers have strategic importance, so are often built like a bunker. Often windowless, reinforced concrete. Considering what it is, its not a half bad attempt to put lipstick on a pig.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 5:06 PM
BANNED

Make them put blinken lights on it, or huge video screens

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 5:49 PM
Windy City Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest View Post
As far as architecture, data centers have strategic importance, so are often built like a bunker. Often windowless, reinforced concrete. Considering what it is, its not a half bad attempt to put lipstick on a pig.
I've always wondered about this. Data centers kinda fascinate me. What are they reinforcing against? Electromagnetic surges? Are the interests in this hardening purely commercial, or is there governmental/military skin in the game as well?

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
I've always wondered about this. Data centers kinda fascinate me. What are they reinforcing against? Electromagnetic surges? Are the interests in this hardening purely commercial, or is there governmental/military skin in the game as well?
It's critical to prevent a devastating loss of data or critical communications infrastructure. They are more worried about reinforcement against a direct hit by a tornado than attack from a foreign government.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
Eh. . . not all data-centers are "built like a bunker". . . some ILEC central offices are, but much of that is because the old telecom equipment required heavy floor-plates and didn't require windows - although some older ones did in fact look less "bunker-like" and were built more like normal office buildings at the time. . .

Many larger "data-centers" and "carrier-hotels" are re-purposed buildings such as the Lakeside Technology center at 350 East Cermak and is only reinforced because it was originally built for RR Donnelley's printing presses. . . similarly 111 8th in New York is the old Port Authority Commerce Building which was built to accommodate freight deliveries. . .

It's not likely that there's any government involvement as you suggest. . . most entities leasing space in these data-centers are carriers needing inter-connectivity to other carriers, or for companies to house their servers . . . if the government needs a datacenter they'll just go out and build one. . .

Anyhow I've heard that these big windowless "bunker" buildings are built so they could survive a nuclear blast, but I don't for one minute believe it. . . seems to me they were simply designed without windows because they didn't need any. . . not many people actually work at these locations and it's easier to keep temperatures regulated that way. . . and - as LouisVanDerWright alluded to - to keep the weather out. . .

I've seen plenty of data-centers out in the burbs that are in single story non-reinforced buildings. . . if you want to know more, feel free to PM me. . .

Anyhow, back on topic. . .

. . .

Old Posted Oct 22, 2016, 1:54 AM
tilted & shifted

Streeterville from Lake Point Tower

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; Oct 22, 2016 at 11:58 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2016, 2:19 PM

The Hudson

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
How B E A utiful is our city? Sadly I couldnt make it to open house.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 12:40 AM
THAT Guy

110 N Wacker - possible GGP replacement?

Came across this tiny rendering while looking at a report. Looks to be a (the?) new office tower where General Growth currently stands. Reminds me a bit of a slimmed down 191 Wacker, but who knows if the design has changed since.

I count about 50 floors + crown, so that should put it well above 700'+.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 2:38 AM

215 W. Lake

Photos taken today (10/23), around 3:30:

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 2:43 AM
MPLSXCHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Came across this tiny rendering while looking at a report. Looks to be a (the?) new office tower where General Growth currently stands. Reminds me a bit of a slimmed down 191 Wacker, but who knows if the design has changed since.

May be just conceptual last I heard General Growth still has the lease until 2019.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

Depends on if it's office or residential. That site of fairly slender, though it's linear.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations