HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 5:51 PM

237 E Ontario - Aloft Mag Mile

Dec 19

Nearing the top - or a setback ?

"I'm not touching you ..."

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 5:52 PM

As I've said numerous times before, most journalists and writers have no idea what they're talking about with the tech industry. Everyone has an opinion on it at this level of media - few people actually ever understand it and get it right. Chicago in my opinion has just as good of a shot as an Atlanta, DC, Boston, Dallas, etc for a bunch of reasons - some has to do with the industry, some has to do with talent, and some has to do with logistics, infrastructure, etc that Chicago does better than most other cities who submitted a bid.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 6:01 PM
The City

^ I don't disagree, but I'm just saying that it is poor strategy for a developer like Related to factor Amazon into how they will develop their property since it is far from a certainty

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 8:43 PM
THAT Guy

A few more

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 9:36 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ That one is really nice!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 5:26 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

^ Love love that base! Especially when put up against so much of the schlock that passes as a base these days.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 5:40 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
Guys, the open space is 40 feet wide and the paved strip is wide enough for a firetruck.

Its accessibility to the public is governed by this statement in the PD :

Applicant shall construct the open space shown on the site plan. The open space shall continue to be privately owned, maintained and subject to occasional partial closure for private use but, subject to the foregoing, shall remain accessible to the public during hours in which public parks are accessible to the public. Nothing contained herein shall preclude residents or other individuals from using the open space for other private uses, provided that they obtain all necessary governmental approvals and permits.

We wanted it open 24 hrs, but conceded that if became a security problem they could shut it at 11:00.
Last time there was any discussion about it, the Fire Dept said ixnay. They don't like gates blocking fire lanes.
Fire lanes, wow. That's a topic that doesn't often come up in Chicago. Usually the fire dept. review on a PD is a rubber stamp.

Even townhouse projects usually have fire access only to the drive aisles, not to the pedestrian courts that the houses front onto.

Anyway, this language doesn't seem to prevent the developer or the eventual owners from putting a gate across the court at the alley, turning it into a cul-de-sac to prevent pedestrians cutting through. They could still keep a keycard gate so residents have easy access to Milwaukee and the grocery store.

I'm very cynical about this kind of public space dedication in a PD. This story has already played out many times on riverfront properties with the required 30' setback and walkway. It works okay with commercial properties or multifamily rentals, but residential developments with houses or townhomes have consistently resisted public use and erected gates or barriers.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
A few more

This is very well done.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Fire lanes, wow. That's a topic that doesn't often come up in Chicago. Usually the fire dept. review on a PD is a rubber stamp.

Even townhouse projects usually have fire access only to the drive aisles, not to the pedestrian courts that the houses front onto.

Anyway, this language doesn't seem to prevent the developer or the eventual owners from putting a gate across the court at the alley, turning it into a cul-de-sac to prevent pedestrians cutting through. They could still keep a keycard gate so residents have easy access to Milwaukee and the grocery store.

I'm very cynical about this kind of public space dedication in a PD. This story has already played out many times on riverfront properties with the required 30' setback and walkway. It works okay with commercial properties or multifamily rentals, but residential developments with houses or townhomes have consistently resisted public use and erected gates or barriers.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 3:47 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I don't get this, it seems like a simple fix to simply ban an obstruction like a gate on a public ROW. Or how about a city order to remove one that was put in place, like the one put up by those fucktards living on those riverfront condos? Easy solution.

The city already has too many Aldermen ready to pass silly laws like a foie gras ban and other idiotic ones that make life needlessly hard for property owners and businesses. But this one is common sense and actually the right thing to do.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 5:14 PM

^They can try.
When they do, I will park myself in the middle and pass out fish sticks to winos. The first time they refuse entry to one, we will see what the legal limitations of the ordinance is.

Truth is, Kinzie Park was a poorly worded document. They required access by easement and specifically allowed the fencing of "private yards". Since the geometry of the bridge abutments put the only access beyond the public portion of the setback, this is a loophole big enough to put a gate through.
Ours allows public access to all the open space on the site.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 6:22 PM
Urbane observer

Problem is that Chicago has never put any enforcement mechanism into these PD "public space" copouts. Decades ago, New York had to mandate the posting of signs specifying that the public was allowed, and the hours. Coincidentally, this was shortly after security guards at the Helmsley Palace hotel came out to tell me that Mrs. Helmsley didn't want anyone loitering in the supposedly public courtyard of the Villard House.

When the British School South Loop shut down the elevator to the "open space" on their roof, and when their security guards threatened me with arrest for standing in the "park" across the street at dismissal time, there's no one I can complain to.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 6:54 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
^ Love love that base! Especially when put up against so much of the schlock that passes as a base these days.
I also appreciate the base design. I don't like those... fins... or whatever they are called. Do they have any purpose besides design accent?
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Dec 25, 2017, 6:04 PM

Merry Christmas everyone! Looks like GEMS II is ramping up. New equipment on the site. They should change the name of this webcam to "GEMS II Webcam" -

Vista webcam

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 1:24 AM

Not A Goldberg

Dec 16

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 12:16 PM

West Loop

Dec 25

811 W Fulton Market - 1 S Hlasted - Nobu - 210 N Green

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 1:29 PM

The Van Buren - 808 W Van Buren

Dec 25

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 1:48 PM

Nobu Hoel

Dec 25

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 3:49 PM

210 N Carpenter

Dec 25

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 6:52 PM

210 NGreen

Dec 19

Dec 25

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations