HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Yep, the tailgating experience is all but gone and whatever surface parking is left will be gobbled up soon by Novus development. At some point, I wish they would allow to tailgate on ASU property, near Old Main for example. Think what USC does on gamedays for tailgating. I mean, that's really the only option left besides tailgating in a garage. The problem with ASU, in general, is that it is competing w/ all 4 major sports, as well as other entertainment options, for your dollar. I have some other opinions on AZ talent leaving the state, but hey that's a topic for a sports forum. Again, hard to complain about the on-field product and then choose not to support them with dollars.

Not nit-picking here but couple of things are not totally true. Marina Heights is indeed part of Novus Corridor as it was identified as Phase 1. The NWC of Rural/University still has some possibility to be taller as Parcel 3CS is still available. It's always been marketed as multi-phased effort and think I saw anywhere from 25-30 years until full-build out. As for the golf course being dormant, Parcel 4F and Parcel 3G are currently under planning review.

I haven't even brought up the MPA and the Coyote's use of it for the next couple of years. Novus Corridor is starting to heat up.

Land use plan for your reference:
https://www.novusasu.com/wp-content/...e-Plan_low.pdf

Read the fine print. Marina Heights is in Novus, which is a made up consultant term without real meaning. It is not, however, in the Athletic Facilities District, which was the legal district approved by the County for purposes of selling bonds.
https://kjzz.org/content/53549/maste...ities-district

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
Read the fine print. Marina Heights is in Novus, which is a made up consultant term without real meaning. It is not, however, in the Athletic Facilities District, which was the legal district approved by the County for purposes of selling bonds.
https://kjzz.org/content/53549/maste...ities-district
Oh you right right. That's my bad. Regardless, Novus (the non-real meaning term)is on fire right now and Rural (on both sides) will be unrecognizable in 10-15 years.

Build, baby, build! Hopefully we get some nice and updated athletic facilities out of this funding mechanism.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2022, 1:57 PM

Good to see so many posters here are Sun Devil fans

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 4:13 PM

https://www.statepress.com/article/2...ng-units-tempe

Quote:
The city of Tempe’s housing division has laid out a plan to build multiple affordable housing developments close to ASU’s Tempe campus.

The Apache Boulevard redevelopment project plans to add as many as 500 affordable housing units to four areas in Tempe adjacent to Apache Boulevard...

There are four plots of land that will be developed. Two of the areas are about a half-mile from the Tempe campus. One of them will be built on Dorsey Lane and Lemon Street, another on Dorsey Lane and Apache Boulevard and two more that are more east along Apache Boulevard...

The two projects closest to campus on Dorsey Lane will be developed by Artspace, a development company that specializes in developing housing projects catering to artists. Lamy said the units will cater more toward artists but is open to all, calling it "preference housing."

"(Artists are) not the only folks who can live there," Lamy said. "It's just a preference for folks who are artists who live in workspaces or do that type of careers, trade or profession."

The development on Lemon and Dorsey will be a five-floor building with a parking garage with 68 affordable housing units. The development on Apache and Dorsey will also have five floors and have 80 affordable housing units and a parking garage. Both will share parking spots with the existing park-and-ride spots that align with the Dorsey/Apache Valley Metro light rail station.

The other two developments are planned further east of the Tempe campus, each of them located just off Arizona State Route 101 and about three miles from campus. One of the developments could add up to 250 units, and the other could add up to 106 units. The city is currently seeking a developer for the larger concept through a request for proposal.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 7:40 PM

Istb7

I went out and got some photos of the new ISTB7 building at ASU this weekend. I'm sure people will be divided on the building design but when I think of the old carwash that was there before, id say this is an upgrade. Here are a couple of them and a link to a larger gallery if you are interested.

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjzKaEV

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 10:15 PM

I didnt see that they had built another pedestrian bridge, Thats good!

I still wish it went over the light rail though!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 12:10 AM
Skyriser

I thought they ended up burying the canal ditch that went under there. My impression of the project has gone up like fivefold with that water feature. I just hope they have some more greenery but ASU isn't super good at that.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 6:54 PM

Nice looking entry signs.

Along with this project I noticed (as a retired sign co. owner) that they took the entry signs at ASU to a higher level. All of the ones I have seen out there look stylish, and easy to read and much nicer then the ones they had prior.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 8:52 PM

Noticed on the development tracker that there is a project in the entitlements called "Lincoln south bank - Mixed Use" Where the pier is going to be built. It also shows the Southpier proposal we discussed a few pages back. Could this be another high rise development in the works??

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
Noticed on the development tracker that there is a project in the entitlements called "Lincoln south bank - Mixed Use" Where the pier is going to be built. It also shows the Southpier proposal we discussed a few pages back. Could this be another high rise development in the works??
This is from 2015: https://www.tempe.gov/home/showpubli...01446206430000

Perhaps it is being revived?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesthelimit View Post
This is from 2015: https://www.tempe.gov/home/showpubli...01446206430000

Perhaps it is being revived?
A little lackluster compared to its neighbors.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
A little lackluster compared to its neighbors.
If I remember right, that project was ultimately pulled in part because it was so lackluster, and the Pier folks opposed it.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 5:16 PM

I don't think so. It's listed as a different address: 1122 E Vista del Lago Dr

I guess we will find out soon enough!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 10:15 PM

Not exactly development news, but development-adjacent: the Mirabella residents received a preliminary injunction against Shady Park.

https://arizonaslaw.blogspot.com/202...-over-edm.html

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...te/7312636001/

I haven't read the whole ruling, but some aspects are kind of a joke. The judge rules that the issue of priority of use--the fact that Shady Park has been holding concerts since 2015--does not favor either party, because the Mirabella bidding process had begun in 2015, and because Shady Park wasn't holding concerts when Mirabella opened in 2020 (i.e. because of the pandemic).

I don't know enough about the case to know how much of a change the restrictions in the order are, but the quotes from the club owners in the AZ Central article say it will basically put them out of business. The order is preliminary, and is appealable, and Shady Park says they're appealing, so we'll see.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 10:51 PM

Article on current status of the Mill redevelopment and South Pier:

https://communityimpact.com/phoenix/...mpe-town-lake/

Not a lot new. Article cites an expected groundbreaking for South Pier in 2022, but that seems ambitious.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2022, 11:09 PM

DRC packet for another 4-story apartment building, this one at 3rd Street and Priest:

https://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocum...47715791361334

Pretty standard for what's been being built lately, 66 du/ac, 4 stories, 395 units, eats up 6 acres of mostly parking.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2022, 9:47 PM

Another Novus Lot has gone vertical! I believe this is that midrise office space we saw renderings for a while back. I was driving by so not the best pictures… New crane as well. Looks like parking garage is first to be built:

McClintock x Rio

Old Posted Apr 16, 2022, 2:12 AM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Not exactly development news, but development-adjacent: the Mirabella residents received a preliminary injunction against Shady Park.

https://arizonaslaw.blogspot.com/202...-over-edm.html

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...te/7312636001/

I haven't read the whole ruling, but some aspects are kind of a joke. The judge rules that the issue of priority of use--the fact that Shady Park has been holding concerts since 2015--does not favor either party, because the Mirabella bidding process had begun in 2015, and because Shady Park wasn't holding concerts when Mirabella opened in 2020 (i.e. because of the pandemic).

I don't know enough about the case to know how much of a change the restrictions in the order are, but the quotes from the club owners in the AZ Central article say it will basically put them out of business. The order is preliminary, and is appealable, and Shady Park says they're appealing, so we'll see.
Yea, the whole thing is a joke. The noise isn't going to stop with Shady Park and it sets up a precedent that others may try and follow to try and quiet other venues down.

This is what Mill Ave is known for. Mirabella could have easily filled up with younger residents. There really was no reason to build a senior residential tower at the corner of the largest party area in the Phoenix Metro. There should be a clause when signing the lease to accept high levels of noise and if you don't accept it, you don't live there.

I hope the ruling gets appealed.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2022, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Yea, the whole thing is a joke. The noise isn't going to stop with Shady Park and it sets up a precedent that others may try and follow to try and quiet other venues down.

This is what Mill Ave is known for. Mirabella could have easily filled up with younger residents. There really was no reason to build a senior residential tower at the corner of the largest party area in the Phoenix Metro. There should be a clause when signing the lease to accept high levels of noise and if you don't accept it, you don't live there.

I hope the ruling gets appealed.
https://kjzz.org/content/1771998/jud...rement-complex has the whole court ruling statement.

It mentions that not just Mirabella residents, but also residents of Union Tempe, Oliv, as well as Westin and Hilton Canopy had issues. If one reads the reviews of Westin and Hilton Canopy one can also find many reviews complaining about noise; some mentioning the Shady Park music volume, some talking about noise from Mill Avenue.

So it is not just Mirabella vs Shady Park; but the various residential complexes and hotels around Shady Park vs Shady Park.

Readers here would have a better idea about when the initial plans regarding the various residential units and hotels in this neighborhood were proposed. My guess is a few of them could predate 2015. (Hotel plans at the Omni location is very old.)

Old Posted Apr 16, 2022, 3:40 AM
Skyriser

I was unaware that they had received complaints from elsewhere. I would have strongly leaned in their favor in the past, but the case makes light of a lot of important things and they just seem like bad neighbors overall.

Accordingly, there are parts about that ruling that make sense, but there are other parts that are simply insane. He could have simply told them to follow city code as it was written at the time they received their use permit (which makes lots of sense), but the judge exceeded his authority in personally dictating their business hours. I hope it gets appealed on that alone.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest