HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

W Philadelphia & Element Philadelphia Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Why wouldn't construction near a sidewalk trigger a covering/chute for the sidewalk instead of closing it off in a city?

IE : NYC?? CHICAGO?? Phily really is stuck in the 80's.

How many more years before we turn into a mini NY
Philly allows it to happen. But I do think it's a bit different for a brand new building than a renovation, which is where you see covered sidewalks in NYC. Once the exterior is done, you should be required to open and cover the sidewalk. Seems like it would be easy to do from a regulation standpoint.

It seems like there are thousands of "low-hanging fruit" regulations that Philly could pass to make the city better but they are buried under "harder to accomplish" proposals that gum up the works.

Maybe if they flipped the stack and worked from the bottom, we'd be a little happier.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Philly allows it to happen. But I do think it's a bit different for a brand new building than a renovation, which is where you see covered sidewalks in NYC. Once the exterior is done, you should be required to open and cover the sidewalk. Seems like it would be easy to do from a regulation standpoint.

It seems like there are thousands of "low-hanging fruit" regulations that Philly could pass to make the city better but they are buried under "harder to accomplish" proposals that gum up the works.

Maybe if they flipped the stack and worked from the bottom, we'd be a little happier.
you can pay the cost and keep the permit active you can close the sidewalk. iM sure they have paid quite a bit due to the fact this project is way behind schedule. This site is horrible from an access perspective so that impacts what has to be closed to allow material deliveries etc.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
As dumb as it sounds, I've also been saying throughout this thread that the sidewalk reopening is what I'm most excited about. It's been over half a decade since the sidewalk a block from the center of our city has been open which has made the pedestrian experience awful. The law was changed at some point during the span of this project iirc to need to provide a cattle chute/sidewalk closure permit (not necessarily because of this specific project). The amount of other projects that have started and finished in the time that this major pedestrian throughway has been closed is insane
I absolutely agree with you! Whenever the pandemic lets up, I'll be back to working at Two Liberty Place. On the days where I'd take the subway over walking to the office from Francisville before the pandemic, heading to Two Liberty from Broad and Chestnut felt more akin to walking in Midtown Manhattan with the amount of people being funneled onto the sidewalk along the south side of the 1400 block of Chestnut. I found it to be little more than an inconvenience back then, but I wouldn't want to be squished between so many people with a global pandemic raging on.

Ditto for the sidewalk on the eastern side of 15th Street.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 6:25 PM

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 1:08 PM

Developer files $30M lawsuit over construction of W/Element hotel, latest in multi-year string of litigation around project

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...w-element.html

Still set to open this spring.

Quote:
More issues arose when concrete was poured for the floors of the structure, according to the lawsuit. “In layman’s terms, the floors were not poured and allowed to set in a flat and level manner as they should, but instead were wavy, unlevel and uneven,” court documents said.

A representative from the concrete contractor, Thomas P. Carney Construction, couldn’t be reached for comment.

As a result of the uneven floors, windows were difficult to put in and interior walls and doors were installed at the wrong levels, court documents said. It also became challenging to put in finishes, cabinets, flooring and complete the fit out of the hotel rooms, according to the lawsuit. Other defects arose including leaks and, all issues combined, caused additional costs and delays.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 3:09 PM
Future World Dictator

Friends of mine are/were considering staying there during their wedding (or having their families stay there, or whatever) and were given a 'private' tour a few weeks ago. There's a bar on the top floor which may end up being open to the public. Apparently it's just going to depend on demand - if there's enough demand from hotel guests it will only be open to them, but if they have the capacity it'll be open to the public as well. Should have some nice views, I would imagine!

I didn't really ask any questions but sounds like at least the hotel is nice.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 6:31 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Developer files $30M lawsuit over construction of W/Element hotel, latest in multi-year string of litigation around project

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...w-element.html

Still set to open this spring.
Ouch, Now I understand the major issues mentioned earlier in this thread.

Well I hope the issues were resolved and it won't affect anything in the future the W is a good hotel/brand.

I had the pleasure of staying in the one in NYC by the WTC beautiful hotel and not to badly priced.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 4:13 PM

Does the lawsuit include something like "they ran out of any material to cover the big ugly concrete part on the north side, so just had to leave it unfinished and hope nobody noticed."?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 7:57 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by R5Ryder View Post
Does the lawsuit include something like "they ran out of any material to cover the big ugly concrete part on the north side, so just had to leave it unfinished and hope nobody noticed."?
Could a design or mural be added to it in the future? it's not that ugly but defiantly bland.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Could a design or mural be added to it in the future? it's not that ugly but defiantly bland.
Maybe they could just paint windows on it and hope nobody realizes they aren't real. Basically a mural of the W on the W.

If they really wanted to get trippy, they could do a mural of the backside of the W on the backside of the W, which would then have to include the mural of the backside of the W on the backside of the W, and so on. Infinite regression!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 2:09 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Maybe they could just paint windows on it and hope nobody realizes they aren't real. Basically a mural of the W on the W.

If they really wanted to get trippy, they could do a mural of the backside of the W on the backside of the W, which would then have to include the mural of the backside of the W on the backside of the W, and so on. Infinite regression!
Share the shrooms bro.

They could do a big cheesesteak to represent us.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 1:24 PM
Chris

Quote:
They could have easily clad glass over the concrete wall, but that is a intricate process, almost like hanging a painting and drives up cost. Since this project already appears to be a train wreck, I don't see that happening...

I can't wait to check out the hotel though! I am actually living in NYC now and my boyfriend and I do a few trips to Philadelphia each year and try a new hotel each time. Last one was the 4 Seasons which was awesome, I've been waiting for the W since 2018...

Next, Philadelphia needs an Edition or St. Regis brand.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 1:43 PM
Philly Pholly

This building is good. It has a great presence on the skyline. I love the very expensive bump outs and façade manipulations. I love the stone-like base façade. I like the base/sidewalk presence very much. Can't wait til all the construction is removed and get a good look at it.
All this love completely gets squashed looking at the back. It's just so obvious that budget was cut. It doesn't even seem to be an effort was made. It's utilitarian. On the façade that faces the most photographed building in the city. That, to me, just lacks creativity.
The crown has a great presence but the charcoal gray is a disappointment. It's very dull, especially considering the new materials available.
Expecting an awesome finished light display!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 2:39 AM

The building's lights have been on tonight.

Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pb3y0Lfb0A

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 2:51 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
The building's lights have been on tonight.

Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pb3y0Lfb0A
Finally!!

This actually means we are getting close to the opening.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Finally!!

This actually means we are getting close to the opening.
holy smokes that looks good , haven't been to the city since the plague started, thanks for posting this

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 4:49 PM

I biked by last night and the sidewalk is partially open!!!!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 5:29 PM

Finally!!!!!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 7:21 PM
Philly Rising Up!

If you go to the Arthaus webcam, you can see the W/Element Hotel's light change colors when they are turned on like last night. Pretty cool effect overall.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
They could have easily clad glass over the concrete wall, but that is a intricate process, almost like hanging a painting and drives up cost. Since this project already appears to be a train wreck, I don't see that happening...

I can't wait to check out the hotel though! I am actually living in NYC now and my boyfriend and I do a few trips to Philadelphia each year and try a new hotel each time. Last one was the 4 Seasons which was awesome, I've been waiting for the W since 2018...

Next, Philadelphia needs an Edition or St. Regis brand.
we had a st regis but its now the westin

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive