HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
I’m very old®.
Perhaps. But I don't remember seeing you at the opening of The Mastbaum.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Behind Philadelphia's 'spectacular, once-in-a-lifetime' opportunity with 2026 World Cup

Article behind paywall here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=1#cxrecs_s
Wow, love to read this. Big, big opportunity here for the City! Can't wait for it.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 3:02 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
I’m very old®. Also, my subscription to newspapers.com is worth every penny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Perhaps. But I don't remember seeing you at the opening of The Mastbaum.
I assume you both were at the opening of NLP aka Baker Bowl, as well Shibe Park later known as Connie Mack Stadium which was 5 blocks away, and the first Steel & Concrete Baseball Stadium in baseball.

it's actually interesting, Baseball has more history in North Philadelphia than the rest of the whole USA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_Philadelphia

The "Stadium" with the most interesting history of course is Shibe Park.

Another interesting tidbit is that the eagles, chose to play at Shibe Park over JFK.

Last edited by TonyTone; Sep 28, 2022 at 3:14 AM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
This would be a new proposal we haven't seen right? From how it is described, this would be the corner of 15th and Mt Vernon?
Well, I'm not totally sure we haven't heard about this yet. I'm leaning towards no but, like you, I can only see the only demolition being done to a "low-rise non-historic building" is indeed at 15th & Mt. Vernon and building the new tower there and still using the "640 N. Broad" address.

I guess he's renovating the current old building at Broad & Wallace. Furthermore, is he still trying to build at Broad and Spring Garden?

Last edited by kool-ski; Sep 28, 2022 at 3:28 PM. Reason: i left out some words

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool-ski View Post
I guess he's renovating the current old building at Broad & Wallace. Furthermore, is he still trying to build at Broad and Spring Garden?
I've never personally been inside the 640 Lofts apartments, but from what I've heard they're in serious need of modernization. Like, Park Towne-level non-renew everyone's lease and renovate floor to ceiling. Could be a good opportunity for it if he has new construction happening on the lot at the same time.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2022, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post
I've never personally been inside the 640 Lofts apartments, but from what I've heard they're in serious need of modernization. Like, Park Towne-level non-renew everyone's lease and renovate floor to ceiling. Could be a good opportunity for it if he has new construction happening on the lot at the same time.
Well then that all makes sense then. A demolished low-rise turned 36-story tower (at 15th/Mt Vernon, nonetheless!) and a renovated/refurbished 640 Lofts (originally the Metropolitan building built in 1913) at Broad/Wallace, all the while, surrounding the Old Zion Lutheran Church built in 1766! Love it!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Well then that all makes sense then. A demolished low-rise turned 36-story tower (at 15th/Mt Vernon, nonetheless!) and a renovated/refurbished 640 Lofts (originally the Metropolitan building built in 1913) at Broad/Wallace, all the while, surrounding the Old Zion Lutheran Church built in 1766! Love it!

Definitely not that old. Maybe 1866?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 1:51 PM

Are there any specs on 640 N Broad Street and is it to early to have a threat on it?

Are there any diagrams.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
Are there any specs on 640 N Broad Street and is it to early to have a threat on it?

Are there any diagrams.
I haven't seen any details. It sounds like a pipedream.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2022, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japmes View Post
I haven't seen any details. It sounds like a pipedream.
Guys, he literally just announced it a few days ago at a community meeting. At least give it a few weeks before we start throwing around “pipe dream” lol

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 3:15 AM

The Two Liberty lights are back on, and while I’m not positive, I think they look a lot brighter. Almost matching One Liberty.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 4:03 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_phl View Post
The Two Liberty lights are back on, and while I’m not positive, I think they look a lot brighter. Almost matching One Liberty.
Ill be going out in the next couple days to get some good night shots then. I'm sure TK will as well.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 4:36 AM

Quote:
The church was built in 1891. The original Old Zion church, at 5th & Race, was built in 1766, but the congregation moved four more times since then. The old schoolhouse affiliated with the church, on Cherry Street and built in 1761, is still standing.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanyika View Post
The church was built in 1891. The original Old Zion church, at 5th & Race, was built in 1766, but the congregation moved four more times since then. The old schoolhouse affiliated with the church, on Cherry Street and built in 1761, is still standing.
Thanks. After more thorough research this morning, I was going to remind myself post the correct dates/locations of the structures to the first-half of your statements but I wasn't sure whether the old original schoolhouse was still standing or not. I should've been more accurate.

That said, I still like the idea of having, somewhat old by Philadelphia standards, the combination of two 100 plus year old buildings along with a brand new tower that hopefully this time Blumenfeld can finally get off the ground

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 2:43 PM

Quote:
640 N. Broad St., 36-Story Residential Building with Parking, and 1st Floor Commercial, To Be Built “As Of Right” w/ a Change In the Property’s Zoning

Per the most recent Spring Garden Civic Association Zoning Report from 9/22/22:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jbP...W8cG9Dhk4/view
How the hell is this not an historic building?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_phl View Post
I'll take a look soon! I saw it on the Fox29 Skyline cam a few days ago, and it still looked dim. When I was shooting on Saturday, the lights were completely off

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 3:12 PM

I’m a bit confused as to where this project is happening. Is he proposing to tear down the 640 Lofts building? Or is he proposing to tear down the Lowrise where A La Spina used to be?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I’m a bit confused as to where this project is happening.
Me too. It says the SW part of the property is where the new construction will be sited. I'm assuming it's that mid-century annex located at 15th and Mt. Vernon that will be demo'd.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Me too. It says the SW part of the property is where the new construction will be sited. I'm assuming it's that mid-century annex located at 15th and Mt. Vernon that will be demo'd.
Wack. At least the church and 640 N Broad remain.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
How the hell is this not an historic building?
As for the actual 640 Lofts building, I don't understand that either. I assume the church is?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations