HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
What's going on with Selkrik lately? That place has been making moves that are progressive by Winnipeg standards. Compared to Manitoba's other small cities they look downright Dutch.

Good for them. It's an attractive enough place--on the river, close to the lake, a better-than-most downtown with at least two mixed-use buildings and a lovely riverside park. Not everyone moving out of Winnipeg wants to move to an exurban dump like Niverville. Why not provide an alternative that's actually nice? Not to mention, they're improving quality of life for their residents, and they're setting the community up for long-term sustainability and success.
I agree, I'm impressed by what's going on in Selkirk. Like so many cities in Manitoba, Selkirk has a lot of potential. But the difference is that Selkirk is actually realizing theirs.

I don't know enough about Selkirk to be fully informed as to what's driving it, but I think their CAO (and former councillor) Duane Nicol has an awful lot to do with what's going on there. He has been doing some amazing work.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Interesting comment from Jim Ludlow in a recent article on Winnipeg's downtown:

Even though company officials had previously said that the fifth building at True North Square, the under-construction 19-storey home to Wawanesa Insurance’s North American headquarters, was to be its last, Ludlow says they probably spoke too soon.

“We’ve got some ideas. We’re not done. We’re always up for a challenge. That’s, in part, how you define how you get somewhere in Winnipeg. It’s a challenge.”

“We’ve got our eyes open on a couple of things. We’re watching. You need to have a creative mind and it has to be collaborative,” he says.

https://manitoba-inc.ca/winnipegs-ch...pe-for-growth/
Interesting. Given that they have an entire block still in the early stages of construction, I'd imagine we're still years away from any future announcements regarding further TNS developments. But hypothetically, if they were to build more... what would be the likeliest sites? I assume SW Donald and St. Mary? But are there any others? The lot next to St. Mary's Cathedral comes to mind (especially if the Archdiocese of Winnipeg's plan for that site has hit a wall).

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 2:24 PM
What could go wrong?

I would think possible developable sites in The Shed for them may be:

- St Mary Cathedral site

- the site of the 3 storey green glass building and O'Calcutta building Portage and Hargrave which I believe was recently sold/for sale (I know Chipman wanted that building even before Centrepoint started)

- the site across from Republic Arch - St Mary and Edmonton empty lot

- the empty lot between The Met and Holy Trinity Church on Donald
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 2:25 PM

There are some opportunities around the Burt that are within the SHED District. And that big lot on the SW corner of Donald and Ellice is kinda juicy. Sort of an interconnector between True North's properties.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 2:38 PM

Interesting, seeing as there has been no work on Sutton Place since December 2020, I suspect we'll be waiting awhile to see any further development.

That being said, there are some great opportunities directly surrounding CLC that would make a lot of sense for True North to want to get developed. I was recently looking at arenas in other cities like Boston, LA and Toronto to see some of the densification that has taken place directly around them or basically on top of them in Boston's case. I'm sure True North is very familiar with these concepts and would love to copy them on a smaller scale.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 2:48 PM

My wish list for TN Development projects based on want, not actual feasibility would be:

1)172 Donald (SW Donald/St. Mary)
2)265 Smith (NE Smith/Graham)
3)190 Edmonton (SW Edmonton/St. Mary)
4)330 Donald (SW Donald/Ellice)
5)283 Ellice (NW Ellice/Smith) Enterprise lot

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 2:57 PM

As I mentioned in the other thread, pretty sure Sutton Place will be starting up sometime soon.

My top of list would be the lots on St Mary. Just to fill that barren dead waste land. The current development on the SE corner is a nice start.

The area around Fort St really needs some attention. Would be prime area to convert back into a residential district. Including the strip of land east of Main St by the railway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
There was some sort of community green space project proposed for the Henderson/Johnson location in the spring of 2019.

As the project was being driven by the local community renewal group I don't know if stalled due to lack of money or covid has stalled any progress.
That was a dream by the community. There was no funding or anything for it. They were trying to exert pressure but I don't think anybody has money or willingness to make it happen. Not sure what restrictions, if any, are left with it being the old gas station site.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 3:44 PM

Quote:
I would think possible developable sites in The Shed for them may be:

- St Mary Cathedral site

- the site of the 3 storey green glass building and O'Calcutta building Portage and Hargrave which I believe was recently sold/for sale (I know Chipman wanted that building even before Centrepoint started)

- the site across from Republic Arch - St Mary and Edmonton empty lot

I was thinking of that lot across from Republic Architecture too. That seems like a desirable site but it is a bit removed from TNS.

The lot on Donald would be great, it would be nice to have a little more of a street wall along Donald. As it is you look out the east windows of CLC and it's a little lame.

I would love to see something happen on the site of the Dayton Building. Although I'm sure it would be super annoying for the long-suffering residents of Glasshouse to see a large tower going up right next door and blocking all the south-facing views. Speaking of Glasshouse, I noticed there is a commercial tenant in the main floor space now? That's nice to see. Although it appears to be an office, so not really something that will animate the street. But still better than nothing.

Old Posted May 11, 2022, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Interesting. Given that they have an entire block still in the early stages of construction, I'd imagine we're still years away from any future announcements regarding further TNS developments. But hypothetically, if they were to build more... what would be the likeliest sites? I assume SW Donald and St. Mary? But are there any others? The lot next to St. Mary's Cathedral comes to mind (especially if the Archdiocese of Winnipeg's plan for that site has hit a wall).
Interesting about Wawanesa tower.. as it is going to be 23 floors...still being quoted as 19..Even 300 main is 42 floors but still reported as 40.Regardless of mechanical things, they need to be counted as they have been for The Richardson tower since its inceptions.

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 7:52 AM

Quote:

In my dreams this gets a skinny building on the north edge of the lot, leaving a lane/plaza thing running through the block. Then the city installs lights mid-block on Donald, Smith, and Garry, and does some nice things to the lanes between Smith and Fort to support a pedestrian space. That route already draws a lot of pedestrian traffic when there are games. Why not make it official and something that everyone can use and enjoy?

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 1:29 PM
What could go wrong?

That would be one skinny tower.

That lot is approx 60 ft wide. D-Condo is just a hair over 50 ft. I guess you could incorporate a building overhang to create a laneway (or tunnel). I am not sure a building owner would want a public walkway through their building/property though.

I do dig your vision on this one.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 2:04 PM

I love the idea of the midblock pedestrian-oriented alley. You could do some really interesting things with that space. As biguc said, there is a lot of foot traffic around there on event days, but even in general there is a decent amount of foot traffic.

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 2:11 PM

I love the idea of creating some sort of pedestrian corridor in-between the Met and the church. The lot is narrow enough that I think it could be turned into a plaza without feeling dead and huge. Then direct development onto the block between Garry and Smith. I count 3-4 possible development sites on that block.

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 2:30 PM

Maybe TN could build something overtop of the Met's mechanical area and/or buy the small denture clinic building on Smith to make something feasible. They used that lot during the Stanley Cup parties for some vendors and port a potties.

Did the SkyCity lot ever sell. I can't remember but think it did. What's going on with the St Regis site and it's supposed development?

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 3:26 PM

Quote:
That would be one skinny tower.

That lot is approx 60 ft wide. D-Condo is just a hair over 50 ft. I guess you could incorporate a building overhang to create a laneway (or tunnel). I am not sure a building owner would want a public walkway through their building/property though.

I do dig your vision on this one.
Thanks. These are some of the longest blocks downtown, and given existing pedestrian patterns and development potential, they're practically crying out for some transformative public-realm improvements. It might be just the thing to finally put over those lots on Graham.

I do envision some kind of overhang. I figure that since the church is a fairly open property and not likely to be replaced by anything, the lane doesn't need that much open air above it. Give it ten feet along the south edge and another ten under an overhang and it wouldn't feel claustrophobic. I also like bomberjet's idea of building over the Met and lane to the north to eke out a bit more space.

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 3:49 PM
What could go wrong?

So something like this - One King West, but without the large buildings on either side. That building is approx 50 ft wide.

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 5:00 PM

Does starchitect know if there's an allowance for future skywalk into the St. Mary/Donald building?

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Does starchitect know if there's an allowance for future skywalk into the St. Mary/Donald building?
Would be cool if so, that could also eventually open the door to some of those other residential highrise buildings along Smith being looped into the system. I know that can be a touchy subject around here (ha ha) but it could certainly help increase the marketability of those buildings once that connection is established.

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 8:40 PM
surely you agree with me

does this mean the pope is finally building his building beside true north square?!

i do know TN has offered to purchase that site in the past. Maybe the church gave up on its dream of doing a development themselves.

Old Posted May 12, 2022, 8:49 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'll ask him.

I could see that happening if the province's lot across the street was ever developed, but there are no plans for it at this point. Skywalk isn't close enough.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan