HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 10:52 AM

American House - 703 Madison - Oak Park

March 16

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 1:01 PM

nice shot ^

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 12:41 AM

High-rise apartment building opens in Skokie, with some rents over $4,000

https://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...y2q-story.html

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 1:18 AM
BANNED

Imagine paying Lakeshore East/West Loop prices to live in Skokie lmaoo

Skokie is a fine community, but come on...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post

Leasing is “way ahead of schedule”

https://patch.com/illinois/skokie/le...int-8000-north

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 3:23 AM
The City

Skokie is actually pretty nice.

But I’m guessing the people living here don’t have a lot of places to walk to

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 8:43 AM

Quote:

Check the housing prices in Skokie - very in demand now. Close to the city - there are few suburbs with an easier commute to downtown by car (several options.) It has a good school system, low crime with fast police response times, 15 min to the lake. Access to the North Shore Hospital network. These may not be the things that interest you but they are important to a lot of folks. These days its a winning formula.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 1:23 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Downtown Skokie may not be as comprehensive as Evanston or oak park, but it's not nothing either.

Residents at this new development will be able to conveniently walk to:

~20 food/drink establishments
Grocery store
Hardware store
Walgreens
Library
L station

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 2:58 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

There is a contingent of Chicagolanders, many with high incomes, who simply have no interest or ambition to move into a River North highrise or Lincoln Park. Either because they love their cars, believe all the hysteria on Fox News about the city, or because they are just very comfortable with their suburbs they will never want to leave their comfort zone if they can help it. There is a lot of money to be made, especially in boomers downsizing and millennial starter homes that should drive a pretty healthy market away from SFHs.

If I were to advise most suburbs who want to increase their tax base I would recommend jumping on this fact and to start building more units. Most towns are probably wary of a small contingent of nimby's who they know will make a fuss about changing the static character of their town that long-time residents have become accustomed to however.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
Check the housing prices in Skokie - very in demand now. Close to the city - there are few suburbs with an easier commute to downtown by car (several options.) It has a good school system, low crime with fast police response times, 15 min to the lake. Access to the North Shore Hospital network. These may not be the things that interest you but they are important to a lot of folks. These days its a winning formula.
The inner ring burbs stand to benefit a lot from the hybrid work model as people are more willing to trade a slightly longer commute while still maintaining proximity to the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Skokie is actually pretty nice.

Skokie has a Walkscore in the 80s, which puts it in something like the top 10% of suburbs. It’s not as walkable as it’s neighbor Evanston, but it’s not accurate to say people renting here won’t have places to walk to. It also has one of the better bike lane and path networks in the metro area.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Downtown Skokie may not be as comprehensive as Evanston or oak park, but it's not nothing either.

Residents at this new development will be able to conveniently walk to:

~20 food/drink establishments
Grocery store
Hardware store
Walgreens
Library
L station
many neighborhoods within the city of chicago do not have the above listed amenities

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 6:45 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
many neighborhoods within the city of chicago do not have the above listed amenities
true, but they typically also don't have 4k rents! the most amazing thing is that building doesn't even have a doorman for that price...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 7:15 PM

I think it's very attractive to older north shore residents who are ready cash out their homes but not prepared to leave the area (especially if downtown is unappealing). Plenty of affluent people are getting too old to go up and down stairs but are not yet ready for assisted living. This is a good model to follow.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 9:20 AM

The last time I was there in Skokie, about a month ago, the Bank of America across the street had closed the ATMs they had left running after the Bank itself had also closed. Does anyone know if there are already plans in the works for that corner lot. Its a huge lot. The Bank building itself is from the 1920s.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 3:08 PM
BANNED

Skokie could really become an urban suburb like Oak Park and Evanston. It has all the right bones for it. I think they should keep focusing on downtown development and upzoning the yellow line station areas.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Skokie could really become an urban suburb like Oak Park and Evanston. It has all the right bones for it. I think they should keep focusing on downtown development and upzoning the yellow line station areas.
It might be more attractive for TOD at those yellow line stations if there wasn't a forced transfer at Howard. Maybe six car train service following a similar service pattern as the purple line express would help Skokie compete with neighborhoods on Chicago's far north side and Evanston? That's if there's capacity for yellow line trains to be added to the brown/purple tracks and around the loop.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 5:00 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
It might be more attractive for TOD at those yellow line stations if there wasn't a forced transfer at Howard. Maybe six car train service following a similar service pattern as the purple line express would help Skokie compete with neighborhoods on Chicago's far north side and Evanston? That's if there's capacity for yellow line trains to be added to the brown/purple tracks and around the loop.
Definitely not at the moment because of the reconstruction of the red/purple line tracks. Maybe once they are reconstructed, but the biggest bottleneck would then be the loop, which I’m pretty sure is at capacity.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 2:50 AM

I saw on WGN News that Schaumburg announced adding residential around Woodfield. Buildings up to 7 stories.
Maybe based around the Pace transit center.

Schaumburg considering unprecedented residential development right by Woodfield
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...woodfield-mall

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 3:24 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
I saw on WGN News that Schaumburg announced adding residential around Woodfield. Buildings up to 7 stories.
Maybe based around the Pace transit center.

Schaumburg considering unprecedented residential development right by Woodfield
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...woodfield-mall
Yes, this is the area between Streets of Woodfield and the Schaumburg Corporate Center. Basically all the land along Martingale Drive and Mall Drive. Pace is also set to renovate and expand the transit center this year or next, they bought the old post office site next door for expansion.

It's a nice idea but it's probably gonna be an awful suburban mess unless the village develops and enforces a master plan to put in a new street grid. They also need to require mixed-use, public park space, etc to actually make it a livable neighborhood. Ownership is fragmented too, so redevelopment is gonna be messy and piecemeal. On the plus side, the Whole Foods means that new residents can walk to get groceries.

Old Posted May 25, 2022, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
When I was communicating it really didn't take much more time to get to the Loop from the Dempster Yellow Line stop than, say from Davis Street. Those Evanston express trains sounded good but weren't much of a time saver. I always transferred at Howard to a red line train even when coming from Evanston.

Maybe the improvements to the Howard line will change this - the flyover for example- and shorten the trip for the express trains. Still, south of Fullerton you lose a lot of time winding around on the 'L' before getting to the Loop.

Chicago Avenue and Howard Street - Evanston Gateway

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development