HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 2:59 AM

An ill informed take of an ill informed article about crane counts downtown.

Quote:
A lot of cities judge their downtown development by the number of cranes. That’s never really worked in Phoenix.

This week, when Rider Levett Bucknall put out its biannual crane index that tracks downtown development around the U.S., Phoenix didn’t rank highly.

Despite some hand-wringing about whether that gives the impression downtown Phoenix isn’t developing, those nervous nellies should relax. Phoenix has never had a lot of cranes sprinkled around and likely never will. That’s because the region is still relatively young and developers here tend to sprawl out. They go horizontal instead of vertical.

That’s basically what those who do the report for Rider Levett Bucknall said, noting development has gone outward from the downtown Phoenix core instead of upward in a condensed spot. A look around the region easily confirms that, with development stretching from the East Valley to the West Valley.

That’s not to say that type of development is optimal. Nothing in the Valley is centrally located, which creates other issues beyond just traffic. But it isn’t all bad, once you get used to it.
Between the last Crane count and this crane count 4 cranes came down and 2 went up, since the most recent crane count (literally the last couple of days) two cranes have gone up with probably 3 or 4 on their way.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 3:40 AM
self-important urbanista

^Who wrote this? It reads sort of like Robert Robb, who loves to pooh-pooh any unfavorable statistics about Phoenix.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
^Who wrote this? It reads sort of like Robert Robb, who loves to pooh-pooh any unfavorable statistics about Phoenix.
Patrick O'Grady

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 1:51 PM

On 7th Street across the street from the Filmore Apartments they have been constructing this very post modern looking drive thru building. This morning they put up a sign saying it will be a Serafina Coffee Shop. They have a location downtown that I will go to sometimes, much prefer it over Starbucks!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
On 7th Street across the street from the Filmore Apartments they have been constructing this very post modern looking drive thru building. This morning they put up a sign saying it will be a Serafina Coffee Shop. They have a location downtown that I will go to sometimes, much prefer it over Starbucks!
I saw a notice in the Serafina covfefe place on Jefferson that mentioned new construction on 7th Avenue but I didn't think it was going to have a drive-thru

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 6:10 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
I saw a notice in the Serafina covfefe place on Jefferson that mentioned new construction on 7th Avenue but I didn't think it was going to have a drive-thru
Is that a typo, or has Serafina gone MAGA?

Seriously, though, I remember discussion of a second location for Serafina a block or two from the current one. That didn't make any sense, but one farther away on 7th Avenue might. Not thrilled about the drive-thru.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 6:13 PM

Covfefe is fun to say.

I'm glad to hear that building is going to be a coffee shop, I've been wondering if it was going to be something like a used car lot or a storage building of some sort. Glad something of value is finally being added to 7th Avenue.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Is that a typo, or has Serafina gone MAGA?

Seriously, though, I remember discussion of a second location for Serafina a block or two from the current one. That didn't make any sense, but one farther away on 7th Avenue might. Not thrilled about the drive-thru.
Lol even my phone autocorrects coffee to covfefe, just a habit now.

But you're right, I heard their second location was supposed to be where the One Coffee Co spot was on Central just north of Washington. It's now a place called City Deli Company or something and the hours are reminiscent of downtown past, ie. closing at 3 pm and closed on weekends.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 7:45 PM

Quote:
I think it would be pretty darn hilarious for a coffee shop to call itself a covfefe shop

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 8:14 PM

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 9:05 PM

A pre-app came in last week for a 6 story 149 room Home2 Suites extended stay hotel at 141 E Jackson St. The fact that it's six stories doesn't bother me, but this type of hotel strikes me as more suburban oriented.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/14...!4d-112.071445

Here's a downtown Dallas location, which what I assume we will get (or very similar) if this pans out. Not an architectural masterpiece by any means. https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/dfw...ott-and-white/

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestnut1 View Post
A pre-app came in last week for a 6 story 149 room Home2 Suites extended stay hotel at 141 E Jackson St. The fact that it's six stories doesn't bother me, but this type of hotel strikes me as more suburban oriented.

Here's a downtown Dallas location, which what I assume we will get (or very similar) if this pans out. Not an architectural masterpiece by any means. https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/dfw...ott-and-white/
This hotel is part of Anish Group, their plan is to combine the adjacent brick building that was part of Alice Cooperstown and turn it into their hotel lobby while preserving the historical integrity. The hotel itself isn’t much to gawk at, but it’s nice to see adaptive reuse becoming more practiced. The surface parking in the back along the tracks won’t be going anywhere.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 9:32 PM

Quote:
This hotel is part of Anish Group, their plan is to combine the adjacent brick building that was part of Alice Cooperstown and turn it into their hotel lobby while preserving the historical integrity. The hotel itself isn’t much to gawk at, but it’s nice to see adaptive reuse becoming more practiced. The surface parking in the back along the tracks won’t be going anywhere.
I'm still bummed about Cooperstown being dead, but this is probably a good re-use of this spot. It wasn't all that long ago that there was nothing out there but America West Arena and Marjele's Grill (and dirt lots as far as the eye can see). Getting these kind of family tourists will just add to the circulation of folks in the area.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Designed by Local Studio, who I believe is also doing the shipping container project on Central Ave. & Mitchell:

http://www.localstudioaz.com/7th-ave-coffee.html

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Designed by Local Studio, who I believe is also doing the shipping container project on Central Ave. & Mitchell:

http://www.localstudioaz.com/7th-ave-coffee.html
Hey well at least it’s a cool looking drive through, better than the Starbucks they built at Roosevelt and 7th ave

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestnut1 View Post

Yeah pretty lackluster but practical. I wish the plans to replace the holiday in on van buren would have worked out, that’s a full city block and a completely suburban design

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 11:35 PM

Hey all - I don't post much original here (you're welcome) but just thought I'd mention that I was in Toronto this past weekend. Wow. I had heard it had more skyscrapers in North America with the exception of NYC but, damn, I really had no idea...super, super impressive skyline that was tall and vast. And at least six pockets of very talls within 5-10 miles of the downtown core. Incredible. The view from CN Tower was very similar to the view from Sears/Willis but, again, there just seemed to be more buildings. Anyway, I highly recommend a trip up there for anyone interested in seeing some spectacular towers. Unfortunately, made coming back to Phoenix very depressing in this regard. Here we are hoping for a 500+ footer someday and it looked like Toronto (with maybe 70% more in total metro pop.?) had at least 100 500+ towers....ugh.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 11:41 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Yeah pretty lackluster but practical. I wish the plans to replace the holiday in on van buren would have worked out, that’s a full city block and a completely suburban design
Are you talking about the one on Fillmore surrounded by the biomed campus or a different project? I wasn't aware of any plans to demolish that.

Also, what's up with the parallel lots on the north side of the tracks south of the Jackon St project. I can't find any easement or anything that prohibits their development.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
I'm still bummed about Cooperstown being dead, but this is probably a good re-use of this spot. It wasn't all that long ago that there was nothing out there but America West Arena and Marjele's Grill (and dirt lots as far as the eye can see). Getting these kind of family tourists will just add to the circulation of folks in the area.
Cooperstown defied the odds by surviving so long south of the arena before the WHD even became a destination for techies and now that area is parched for someplace to grab a pint after work. IMO Buchanan between 1st and 2nd St is just begging for a brewery or beer hall.

With the Duce, Urban Axes bar (opening shortly), various tech companies, Home2Suites hotel, and (hopefully) the Battery, there will be some increase of foot traffic in that area.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Cooperstown defied the odds by surviving so long south of the arena before the WHD even became a destination for techies and now that area is parched for someplace to grab a pint after work. IMO Buchanan between 1st and 2nd St is just begging for a brewery or beer hall.

With the Duce, Urban Axes bar (opening shortly), various tech companies, Home2Suites hotel, and (hopefully) the Battery, there will be some increase of foot traffic in that area.
I completely agree. I will add that the Battery started construction today and there are machines on site moving dirt.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest