HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 8:36 PM
cities|transit|croissants

^
They have a notice to proceed, and workers have started doing survey work, but AFAIK they haven't actually broken ground anywhere.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
^
They have a notice to proceed, and workers have started doing survey work, but AFAIK they haven't actually broken ground anywhere.
We might have to add the Union Station - Georgetown streetcar route to this list as well before the year is over.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
We might have to add the Union Station - Georgetown streetcar route to this list as well before the year is over.
This year??? They have not even finished the alternatives analysis for the Union Station - Georgetown segment yet. See my response in the DC transit thread, but I would guess at least 2 years before construction starts west of Union Station in DC.

As for Phase 2 of the DC Metro Silver Line, I figure start of construction is official when they have a ground breaking ceremony with dozens of politicians there for the photo op.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 10:43 AM

Afiggatt:
Quote:
This year??? They have not even finished the alternatives analysis for the Union Station - Georgetown segment yet. See my response in the DC transit thread, but I would guess at least 2 years before construction starts west of Union Station in DC.
I am just repeating what I recall hearing from a DDOT employee at the Anacostia streetcar open house held in July.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 1:51 PM

This year seems optimistic, but I would expect it to start in 2014. The AA will be done soon if it isn't done already, and the funding is already lined up. They'll have to do some design work, but I bet they do a design-build anyway (if not a DBOM).

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 7:13 PM

ATL Streetcar Video Update #3

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 7:52 PM

Not sure if the OP is being updated, or if this is mentioned elsewhere in the 9 pages of this thread, but Phoenix's Northwest extension Phase I is also under construction (to go along with the Mesa extension). 3 miles for a total of 6 miles U/C. The Northwest Phase I expansion is actually 3.2 miles, but who's counting that closely.

http://www.valleymetro.org/projects_...thwest_phase_i

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 10:43 PM
Big City Enthusiast

Oklahoma City will be added to this list beginning in 2014 as their 5-mile downtown streetcar circular has been approved (fully funded).

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 6:13 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

The North Line in Denver needs to be added: 13 miles of electric commuter rail with a completion in 2018. Construction is underway on the initial phase to the National Western Stock Show station and a contract was recently awarded to construct the line up to 124th Ave.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 4:55 AM
BANNED

How many miles of track is being built for second avenue subway and #7 extension?

7 line - 1.5 miles
2nd Avenue - "over 2 miles of new tunnels"

Last edited by Perklol; Dec 14, 2013 at 4:46 AM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 9:37 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

BART's 3.2-mile Oakland Airport connector begins testing this month and should be carrying riders this Autumn. It's entirely grade separated (elevated with one tunnel), and the automated three-car consists will run on parallel tracks between the existing BART station and the airport terminals on rubber tires.

source

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 10:54 AM

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...he_airport.php

So the LA Crenshaw/LAX Line will officially begin construction on Tuesday. Not sure why it was on the list this early, but it's official now

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 4:51 PM

Added:
- Denver North commuter rail
- Oakland airport connector (in a new "other" category)

Still have not added:
- DC Silver Line phase 2, which has a notice to proceed & is doing survey work, but so far no visual groundbreaking.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2014, 11:26 PM

On the Commuter Rail front, you can add the 24 mile Riverside to Perris Metrolink extension that is now under construction, with scheduled opening late 2015. This will extend the L.A. area's Metrolink system to the Perris Valley.

http://rctc.org/projects/rail-projec...is-valley-line

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 12:56 AM

OK added.

Oh and removed the SLC streetcar, which is done.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 5:50 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Not sure the definition of under construction - and I wouldn't feel safe adding it quite yet, myself - but Detroit's Woodward Avenue Streetcar is undergoing prep work for construction, which has included utility relocation under and along the route. Catch basins, manholes, and water main gate valves are being relocated along the downtown portion of the route.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2014, 10:36 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...he_airport.php

So the LA Crenshaw/LAX Line will officially begin construction on Tuesday. Not sure why it was on the list this early, but it's official now
Excellent news. Although some may see the Crenshaw Corridor as being futile, it's important to remember that it's a necessary precursor to any sort of long overdue rail connection to LAX (Green Line extension will also share tracks). A nothern subway extension to the Miracle Mile and eventually West Hollywood will be very useful, however. But the initial route must be built first.

— Jerome Bruner

Last edited by Quixote; Jan 18, 2014 at 10:49 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 8:38 PM

In Dallas, the Orange Line connection to DFW Airport may be completed early and the last segment of the Blue Line in south Dallas has started construction. The link is http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/...tml?channel=61

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 4:50 AM

I haven't been on this site for awhile, as I get depressed every time I get on here. Las Vegas doesn't even have a light rail or streetcar plan on the drawing boards!

Talk, talk, talk about extending the monorail to the Airport, but there's always excuses: Few will use it because it doesn't go down to the Strip, only to the east of the Strip. Tourists aren't going to want to lug their baggage that far!

Those that know this city all too well, know the real reasons: our powerful mob-like taxi unions!

What an embarrassment to the rest of the country this city is!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
San Diego has done a terrible job too, but that's because they want tourists and businessmen to use taxis. One could take the local bus 992 circulator to Santa Fe station which serves Amtrak, Coaster (commuter rail) and all three trolley lines (57 miles of LRT, all the way to the TJ border).
I don't think it's only the taxi companies that want the business, the rental car companies are in on it as well.

Here in Las Vegas, even with the Airport so close to the Strip, many a tourist here rents a car to avoid the sky-high taxi rates. Just a trip from the Airport to the Wynn, can equal the cost of a rental car for the day.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation