HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 10:19 PM

Replacement Airport Terminal in Kansas City

Kansas City's replacement terminal opens next Tuesday. MCI was a cool looking brutalist-esque airport that never worked the way designed and while it was nice back in the (olden) days, it had become just a hassle the past couple decades.

Finally the city decided to build a new terminal. They tore down Terminal A, built the new terminal, and will soon be tearing down Terminal's B and C.

-

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 10:22 PM
Show me the blueprints

Pics or it didn't happen

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 25, 2023, 7:02 AM

I've flown through KC twice: the first time just as a connecting stop, the second time on a visit to KC. I did not care for the airport. It was built at a time when security needs weren't quite so expansive. Eventually they had to carve up space in relatively narrow terminals to provide pre-security space, leaving post-security feeling somewhat cramped. When I was there last April I saw the new terminal looking mostly completed and wished it was already open. Good that it will finally debut next week!

Video news piece on the journey to finally get this terminal built: https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news...to-open-at-kci

And a link to some photos: https://fox4kc.com/news/new-kci-airp...-need-to-know/

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 2:02 AM

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
Looks great! Such an improvement!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
Wow! It's so beautiful! Can't wait go to Kansas City! I'm so impressive!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 5:12 PM
matt in the city

What is the rail access to this new airport like?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 6:18 PM

^^^HaHA! About as good as most US airports!

I flew out of the airport this morning and gotta say it looks great. For those who have never been to the old airport they would think, "huh? this is a typical airport." Which is both correct and not. It is typical in it's layout, but for KC that is a significant change.

SOM was lead designer and it has the very crisp, nicely detailed work you would expect from them. There are no dramatic design flourishes , though the overhang at curbside is pretty cool and the Departure/Ticketing hall is impressive. The ceiling has hemlock wood panels which nicely warms up the terrazzo, glass, and steel. The concourses do not feel cramped at all, unlike the old airport.

The art stands out more at the terminal than others to which I have been. Not just the expected large scale pieces, but the art on the walls in the gate seating areas. I hadn't really thought about it until today but where there is art on the walls at MCI, many (most?) airports have advertising. Very nice actually.

Didn't have any food, but it looks strong; all local venues except for an Annie's and a DD. The smell of BBQ wafts in the air in the B Concourse.

Another weirdly cool thing is the jetways, which are glass walled. Not many of these in the US and it is kinda cool walking to the plane and looking out at the tarmac and airport.

All in all a tremendous improvement over the old airport and a very handsome one at that.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 4:01 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

It’s a nice airport but unfortunately airports here in the States take on a look of familiarity (as if they’re franchises). It would be nice to look at what is being built in Asia, Oceana and Europe.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
It’s a nice airport but unfortunately airports here in the States take on a look of familiarity (as if they’re franchises). It would be nice to look at what is being built in Asia, Oceana and Europe.
You do have a point but most airports being built in Asia are as much vanity projects meant to portray a certain story about the governments building them as functional infrastructure projects. That certainly isn't the approach in the few things being built in the US, to the determent of great design, but to the benefit of the public given that even the relatively simple projects we have in the US are challenging in many ways.
"A couple of years ago, a couple of geniuses put on something called Woodstock Festival. It was a tragedy. Groups recognised that they could go into larger cattle markets, play less time and make more dollars. What they've done is to destroy the rock industry."- Bill Graham

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 6:25 PM

Very nice airport!

I'm totally digging the glass jet bridges. I don't think I've ever seen them in the US.....

Also - Taking note of SOM being the designer here as they are going in charge of designing O'Hare's new satellite terminals, so this is a good preview......

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 8:41 PM
你的媽媽

Very nice!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2023, 11:58 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeliko View Post
You do have a point but most airports being built in Asia are as much vanity projects meant to portray a certain story about the governments building them as functional infrastructure projects. That certainly isn't the approach in the few things being built in the US, to the determent of great design, but to the benefit of the public given that even the relatively simple projects we have in the US are challenging in many ways.

Very true.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation