HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 6:12 AM

Oceanwide Plaza work resuming & the false groundbreaking at 888 S Hope:

South Park by Hunter, on Flickr

Fig Central / Oceanwide Plaza by Hunter, on Flickr

Fig Central / Oceanwide Plaza / Circa by Hunter, on Flickr

9th & Hope by Hunter, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLAdenizen View Post

I guess building the parking garage first was more important. What's truly sad is all the space it takes up and no retail fronting the street.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgacis View Post
I guess building the parking garage first was more important. What's truly sad is all the space it takes up and no retail fronting the street.
The plan for it is retail taking up the street level so it's not all that bad

EDIT: I also edited the OP. I removed Hanover Grand and added 11th & Hill, along with 1400 S Fig. I added the 28 story Spring Hotel, and I fixed all the links to the images. Am I missing anything else?

Last edited by Mojeda101; Feb 21, 2016 at 9:31 AM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
The plan for it is retail taking up the street level so it's not all that bad
Thanks for the reminder. I remember reading that a while back on Brigham's site. Still not as great if another tower had been here but guess we'll see how this misplaced garage turns out, retail or not.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 4:23 PM

Thank you, Mojeda. I look forward to seeing the adaptive reuse, transit, and park portions added in too!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 4:27 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Great work on the compilation Mojeda101!

A CTBUH lists:

* Not everything included, but for the record.

====================
= = = = = = = = = = = = = =

buildings_2016-02-21-16-25-40 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighomey3000 View Post
Thank you, Mojeda. I look forward to seeing the adaptive reuse, transit, and park portions added in too!
About that. Do you guys really want me to add that? I can only think of a handful of projects.

While Adaptive reuse would be a big addition I can only think of the regional connector as the only transit actually being built, with the streetcar under proposed. For the parks I can only think of the arts district park but beyond that we have the proposals for Pershing, the Broadway civic park, and the park in the middle of Hope St. I just figured there wasn't a sufficient number of projects to be their own section.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 8:23 PM

How does one make this a sticky on the LA forum page?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 8:39 PM

Maybe parks and transit can wait, at least until we have more movement on Pershing Square, its at the "vision" phase now, and far away. Regional connector, we know what it is and its all underground anyways. I guess the 6th St. Bridge and LASHP park redo are now out of the DTLA area, so I say leave it for now, and when you feel like it, update it.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 9:00 PM
life is good

Just saw 3 to 4 tables dining all fresco at Le Petit Paris (the seating which borders the park). Separately, we went for lunch there a few weeks ago and were pleasantly surprised with the crowd. Larger than I was expecting

Also noticed earlier cars are driving crazy at 5th and Spring right now. I love seeing the street blocked off for the farmers market but there needs to be a cop there to direct traffic and curb bad driver behavior.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLAdenizen View Post
-Hellens tower (I really liked this one) fell apart
I liked that proj too but it seems to have been placed on hold, if not cancelled, cuz the devlpr ran into opposition from the local community about its modern design not conforming to the specs for broadway.

That reminds me of what happened to the original design of the AMP lofts proj in the arts dist a few yrs ago. What started off as a perfectly okay looking proj....it reminded me somewhat of cargo container crates stacked on top of each other artistically or a bit like pics I've seen of an apt proj built in montreal over 40 yrs ago for their world's fair .... was stopped & reworked due to ppl in the arts dist not approving of the design. The revised architectural work turned out to be much weaker than the design the activists forced the owner to redo.

outcomes like that one or the one on the hellens proj....along with situations like all the new residents in dtla who've flocked to GH palmer's tuscan wonders & allowed his apt projs to be the more successful ones added to dt.....are why I'm leery about putting too much time & fury into the architectural design of new devlpt. Taste is personal, so what I like, others may hate, and what I dislike, others may prefer.

That's why I stick to focusing on mainly the really obviously weak points of dtla, the disagreeable things that are very visible to more ppl than not.

this is a comment made by a well known architect working in LA during the 1960s who designed a home that was recently acquired by the county museum of art....

Quote:
"When I first drove down Santa Monica Boulevard, it was so ugly I was physically sick for the first year I was here.” —John Lautner

^ I'll let others complain about new projs in dt not having better architectural design or proper urban layouts, while I'll stay focused on mainly the really bad things about dt, similar to what made Lautner so unhappy.

btw, this is the house he's more famous for....more frequently captured in photos than the house given this wk to the art museum.....

mat2.materialicious.com

^ So some ppl will favor that as a place to live, others will favor something like this...

thedavinciapts.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Just saw 3 to 4 tables dining all fresco at Le Petit Paris (the seating which borders the park). Separately, we went for lunch there a few weeks ago and were pleasantly surprised with the crowd. Larger than I was expecting.
Good to know. I've seen reviews on yelp about that restaurant & some of them do make me worry about what will happen to it in the future. Le petit's owner, after investing big money into his place & for the sake of the revival of spring st, absolutely must succeed in the el dorado bldg. I'd hate to see what happened to figaro on broadway happen to any other ambitious restaurant trying to make a go of it on formerly desolate streets in dt.

I don't know why more of the forumers who live in dt as you do, or spend lots of time there, rarely post descriptions similar to yours of what dt is like in a certain location at a certain time. It helps give a better sense of the way things are going in the hood. In comparison, posts that are so generalized they could be slotted into a thread for another city or a thread about urbanism & design don't help give me a better feel for dtla.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 10:08 PM

I for one would appreciate having any sort of project on the first page. Park designs for Broadway Park and Pershing Square, 6th Street Bridge, any streets cape improvements like MyFig or 7th street renovations.

Obviously I'm not going to get greedy because Mojeda has done a fabulous job, but it would still be nice to add them in for visual purposes if he has the time.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
I for one would appreciate having any sort of project on the first page. Park designs for Broadway Park and Pershing Square, 6th Street Bridge, any streets cape improvements like MyFig or 7th street renovations.

Obviously I'm not going to get greedy because Mojeda has done a fabulous job, but it would still be nice to add them in for visual purposes if he has the time.
I'll start on it tonight!

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 2:36 AM
BikeMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
I liked that proj too but it seems to have been placed on hold, if not cancelled, cuz the devlpr ran into opposition from the local community about its modern design not conforming to the specs for broadway.
No, that is not true. The community supports the building. It ran into trouble because there is a single guy in planning in charge of historical projects who believes all buildings on Spring st should look old.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 2:37 AM
BikeMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
I'll start on it tonight!
I think all projects including transportation, reuse and parks should be included. I also think there is a great map on what people consider DTLA and not DTLA....

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 1:59 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident View Post
No, that is not true. The community supports the building. It ran into trouble because there is a single guy in planning in charge of historical projects who believes all buildings on Spring st should look old.
Would that be Lambert Geissinger? He's actually really great at what he does - looking after and assisting owners in restoring our historic building stock. If he's getting involved in new construction, that seems a bit odd, because it's not his normal purview.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 3:41 PM

Two hotel towers planned for Pico/Figueroa/Flower St. Parking Lot

Unnamed developer proposed 1,000 hotel rooms, plus retail space, parking, sky lobbies and guest amenities in two towers. Also requesting similar incentives to those provided to Metropolis and the Wilshire Grand.

Parking lot to the right of the Circa construction site.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 4:15 PM

1000 rooms on that postage stamp sized lot? That's gotta be 50+ stories.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 4:17 PM

That Hooters is going to look hilariously out of place.

Last edited by Jun; Feb 22, 2016 at 5:05 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 4:44 PM
Ascension

Can we destroy Hooters while we're at it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations