HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 12:01 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
And moreover, when the Interstates were begun, the arguments could be made (and probably were) that highway building was principally a state responsibility; that we had plenty of perfectly good roads already; that there was infinite expansion potential in air travel; that it would gobble up too much land; divide farms; bypass towns, etc. I have read that it was sold as a "defense" measure for fear the public wouldn't buy it otherwise.
But the Interstate highways were designed, financed, built, and maintained under the Highway Department's stewardship. A fully functional Highway Department was ultimately responsible.
Who's responsible for the CHSR, Parsons Brinckerhoff? They're an engineering company, do they have any actual experience running and maintaining a HSR system?
What CHSR needs, before construction anything, is a contract with a train operating company to assist finalizing the designs to achieve the most efficient system. Build only what is needed to provide the services the train operating company will run. That's the only way California can maximize services to cost.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
But the Interstate highways were designed, financed, built, and maintained under the Highway Department's stewardship. A fully functional Highway Department was ultimately responsible.
Who's responsible for the CHSR, Parsons Brinckerhoff? They're an engineering company, do they have any actual experience running and maintaining a HSR system?
What CHSR needs, before construction anything, is a contract with a train operating company to assist finalizing the designs to achieve the most efficient system. Build only what is needed to provide the services the train operating company will run. That's the only way California can maximize services to cost.
If you're saying we need a Federal Railway Administration, fully-funded, to see that HSR is built, I'm all for it. If you're saying the State of California should oversee this program to a greater degree, with adequate funding, of course, I'm all for that too.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Exactly. But you just cut your potential rail ridership in half - because rail passengers are pedestrians (or local transit riders) once they get off the train, Bakersfield can't be a destination, only an origin. (Or at least, a very limited destination.)
Are you saying people from Bakersfield don't fly because it doesn't have an airport on the scale of LAX?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 1:00 AM

Quote:
When will the freight trains use the HSR corridors?
Never, I hope.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 4:51 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
Are you saying people from Bakersfield don't fly because it doesn't have an airport on the scale of LAX?
Huh? No, that's definitely not what I was saying...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 5:32 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

I previously posted what the CAHSR Authority wrote about carrying freight on its own trains--shouldn't be that many pages back. Basically they're open to carrying light freight on their own consists, but passenger service takes precedence and no "freight trains" as we know them--BNSF, etc.--will share CAHSR's tracks. This will be a separate and electrified system. California's busy freight railroads are already in place up and down the state.

As for the "Bakersfield" issue--smaller California cities with lackluster public transit--the state and cities are already planning to bolster transit to and from the stations, and to redevelop station-adjacent parcels as TOD. Fresno has a really ambitious plan, for example, but for smaller cities like Bakersfield the stations will likely be like airports, used by locals who will likely park and ride if they don't take the bus.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 9:26 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Bingo. PB has a huge conflict of interest - the more elaborate the overall plan is, the more stuff their engineers get to design (viaducts, bridges, grade separations), the more money they make.

Naturally this is gonna drive up the cost of the project unless CAHSR/Caltrans/whoever has people on staff who are willing to say no and force PB to look at other alternatives that minimize complexity and cost while still achieving the project goals of 100% grade separation and 2:40 SF-LA travel time. These people need to have expertise in the area, which (unfortunately) means that some of them will need to come from overseas.

A series of very smart, well-informed bloggers have run circles around CAHSR's planning efforts. If people like this can afford to blog for free, maybe they can afford to work for the State of California as project planning managers. Outside consultants are the reason for the problem, so California needs to hire these people in-house.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 9:18 AM

What's everyone's thoughts on this article?
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...3152471.column

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 5:04 PM

SCAG adopts high-speed rail agreement (Pasadena Star-News)

SCAG adopts high-speed rail agreement

By Steve Scauzillo, Staff Writer
Posted: 02/05/2012
Pasadena Star-News

"No matter what happens to the controversial high speed rail program in the state, local governments in Southern California are negotiating for some of the early cash associated with the project.

The Southern California Association of Government's Regional Council Thursday approved a memorandum of understanding with the California High Speed Rail Authority with an eye toward claiming $1 billion in voter-approved bonds. The bonds would not go directly to the proposed L.A. to San Francisco bullet train, but rather be used to upgrade local Amtrak and Metrolink lines and stations that can, in turn, help serve the future high-speed line. The improved existing regional systems would work as feeders into the high speed lines.

SCAG recommended that the high speed rail authority use $1 billion out of $9.95 billion in Proposition 1A funds for Southern California rail improvements and make it an amendment to its 2012 Draft Business Plan.

The so-called "blended systems and blended operations plan" concept could be a boon to aging Metrolink commuter rail lines that go to Los Angeles, either from from Anaheim to Industry or from San Bernardino through Claremont, Covina, Baldwin Park and Monterey Park..."

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/news/ci_19893336

Old Posted Feb 10, 2012, 8:53 PM
BANNED

600,000 jobs? At 50k per job, that's 30B per year. Sound like the HSR management is about as good at math as the old management.

Upgrading LA and Bay local trains makes a lot of sense, if done right. Not only does this get done much more quickly and cheaply, but it's actually needed, given that freeways are quite congested.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 3:08 AM

Pretty sure its job years. 600,000 job years, so divided over the life of the project.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2012, 7:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM19 View Post
Pretty sure its job years. 600,000 job years, so divided over the life of the project.
Thanks; that would make sense.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 1:50 AM
Ready for blastoff!

http://thehill.com/blogs/transportat...in-2013-budget

Obama includes $47B for high-speed rail in 2013 budget

By Keith Laing - 02/14/12 03:24 PM ET

Quote:
The $3.8 trillion budget unveiled this week by President Obama includes $47 billion for high-speed rail development, despite a Republican effort to defund the initiative this year.

The Republican-led House voted late last year to eliminate all funding for high-speed rail in the current fiscal year's budget, but Obama's plan calls for spending $2.7 billion in 2013 on rail and $47 billion over the next six years.
Sadly it won't get out of the house. I was definitely interested to see how the money would be distributed.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 9:56 PM
loafing in lotusland

It won't get out of the house, but people will blame the party that opposes it. These things are usually strategic... especially when followed up with how many jobs generated the bill will bring, etc.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 10:11 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
It won't get out of the house, but people will blame the party that opposes it. These things are usually strategic... especially when followed up with how many jobs generated the bill will bring, etc.
I had an aunt who didn't get out of the house much. She eventually passed.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 1:38 AM
BANNED

Why is there no compromise on HSR?? I.e, Republicans will cede half that figure and democrats will agree to a certain amount of oil drilling or something. If the only way we'll get HSR is to have a majority democratic house + senate + president, we never get it. We have to give and take. Negotiation is the key!!!

The all or nothing attitude is the reason why I'm considering leaving this country.. as nothing will get done in my lifetime. Why wait pulling your hair out living in a country that is really two countries trying to get along but failing big time.

Why doesn't Obama propose such a compromise instead of giving them an excuse to vote the bill down due to this spending and give them a chance to toot their horn to their base.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Why is there no compromise on HSR?? I.e, Republicans will cede half that figure and democrats will agree to a certain amount of oil drilling or something. If the only way we'll get HSR is to have a majority democratic house + senate + president, we never get it. We have to give and take. Negotiation is the key!!!

The all or nothing attitude is the reason why I'm considering leaving this country.. as nothing will get done in my lifetime. Why wait pulling your hair out living in a country that is really two countries trying to get along but failing big time.

Why doesn't Obama propose such a compromise instead of giving them an excuse to vote the bill down due to this spending and give them a chance to toot their horn to their base.
because the tea party douche bags have the moderate republicans by the balls. They have signed ridiculous "pledges" and they are not willing to compromise on their "core issues', especially not with a black guy from a large democratic city

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 2:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
because the tea party douche bags have the moderate republicans by the balls. They have signed ridiculous "pledges" and they are not willing to compromise on their "core issues', especially not with a black guy from a large democratic city
Of course, how stupid was I to think compromise could be an option in the USA. I forgot a new world order is upon us. These teabaggers are fools... I laugh at their stupidity.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 5:00 AM

^ If "getting things done" is what your looking for, then yes, I suggest moving to a different country because this one is dying fast. Or, if changes at a city-level are enough for you, go to one that is experiencing rapid growth and change (and will for a long time) a GREAT deal. Like LA.

Maybe California should secede from the US. And maybe New York, Florida, and of course, Texas, all should as well. Heck why not make the southern states (except florida) one country. Maybe then well see how far these conservative values get them. Just don't force those values on other states that, for the most part, have clearly said they don't want them.

Last edited by JDRCRASH; Feb 16, 2012 at 5:14 AM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post

Why leave the country? you can't just give up unless you are not a citizen, then go. If you are, you need to fight and help make a difference for the better. We need more sane people likely you.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation