HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Seriously? For nothing?

Have you ever called them for anything?
I don’t think it’s unusual. I’ve never called the cops on anyone either. Never had a reason to.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
I don’t think it’s unusual. I’ve never called the cops on anyone either. Never had a reason to.
I’ve called a few times. Once after a shooting outside my rowhome, once when I saw someone deliberately try to run someone else over with their car, and once when I had someone fly by me on the highway going well over double the speed limit and driving like it was their own nascar track. I think the concept of never calling the police perpetuates a mindset that helps cement the generational issues that we’re dealing with in some of our communities.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
But that's different than saying "I will never call the police"

And to be fair to Allovertown, my comment was more influenced by a comment I saw by someone else earlier this week. They were saying how they would never share doorbell footage with the police. In which case 1. why even have a doorbell camera on all the time then 2. what if it was someone you knew that was the victim? And some ACAB guy who's camera saw what happened was just like "nah, you don't deserve justice". I just can't understand that train of thought.

I have called the police on a few occasions over the years. Last summer at 2AM, we hear this massive smashing outside. I look out the window and it's a guy who had taken a header into the back windshield of a mini cooper after he crashed his motorcycle. His legs were twisted backwards the wrong way. I was on the phone with 9-1-1 in seconds and the police and ambulance were there in a few minutes.

Another time, there's this old guy just laying on the ground yelling for help at 15th and Pine. He had slipped and fell and apparently people just walked by him until I came along. I got an ambulance to come out and help him.

I also have called the police numerous times for traffic lights being out. It's a dangerous situation when that happens and you should report it if authorities aren't already on the scene.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
But that's different than saying "I will never call the police"

And to be fair to Allovertown, my comment was more influenced by a comment I saw by someone else earlier this week. They were saying how they would never share doorbell footage with the police. In which case 1. why even have a doorbell camera on all the time then 2. what if it was someone you knew that was the victim? And some ACAB guy who's camera saw what happened was just like "nah, you don't deserve justice". I just can't understand that train of thought.

I have called the police on a few occasions over the years. Last summer at 2AM, we hear this massive smashing outside. I look out the window and it's a guy who had taken a header into the back windshield of a mini cooper after he crashed his motorcycle. His legs were twisted backwards the wrong way. I was on the phone with 9-1-1 in seconds and the police and ambulance were there in a few minutes.

Another time, there's this old guy just laying on the ground yelling for help at 15th and Pine. He had slipped and fell and apparently people just walked by him until I came along. I got an ambulance to come out and help him.

I also have called the police numerous times for traffic lights being out. It's a dangerous situation when that happens and you should report it if authorities aren't already on the scene.
I think my wake up call was in 2020, which was around the time my politics started changing. I went to a few BLM protests and still support some reforms with policing. At the time I was living in downtown LA and watched from my apartment above as swarms of rioters ran around the streets below. I saw a cluster of them break through the back door of my building. I found out later they ran around the lobby and assaulted the security guard (who I knew and is very nice btw). The only people that helped us secure the building that night were the police.

I walked around my neighborhood early the next morning and watched as the owners, operators and workers of the surrounding businesses cleaned up what was left of their stores. Most were immigrants of modest means. The only people who showed up to assist them were the police. There’s a very specific, almost primal feeling after your immediate community gets pillaged. It’s hard to describe. All of that had a big impact on me.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
I think my wake up call was in 2020, which was around the time my politics started changing. I went to a few BLM protests and still support some reforms with policing. At the time I was living in downtown LA and watched from my apartment above as swarms of rioters ran around the streets below. I saw a cluster of them break through the back door of my building. I found out later they ran around the lobby and assaulted the security guard (who I knew and is very nice btw). The only people that helped us secure the building that night were the police.

I walked around my neighborhood early the next morning and watched as the owners, operators and workers of the surrounding businesses cleaned up what was left of their stores. Most were immigrants of modest means. The only people who showed up to assist them were the police. There’s a very specific, almost primal feeling after your immediate community gets pillaged. It’s hard to describe. All of that had a big impact on me.
Seems like we had very similar experiences. My politics also radically changed after moving to a city and experiencing first hand the role of police in establishing community safety after the riots. It was easy to advocate for wholesale reforms from my safe suburb where I never really had any interaction with police.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post

I was living on Spruce Street at the time of the May 30th riot. I have a video saved of some who rode their bike right through it. It's a damning video that is highly embarrassing to the city. But the craziest part is this: It wasn't "angry black men upset about police violence!". That's actually an incredibly racist lie about what really happened. In reality, it was the woke children of 'Reclaim Philadelphia' (majority of whom were white) running around fulfilling their disgusting anarchist desire to throw bricks through small shop windows. Every hair cuttery, bar, restaurant, etc. was destroyed in Rittenhouse. It opened pandora's box. That's why the looting didn't start until the day in the ghetto. The criminals saw what the woke heros got away with and just began ransacking all the walmarts/home depots/etc. It was fucking nuts and honestly something I have tried to block out of my mind. I watched my city burn that night. And honestly, pandora's box is still open

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 6:40 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
I know it can come off as funny, but I actually find it incredibly sad how many privileged people say things like that. It's a disconnect from reality and they don't have the ability to empathize with people actually effected by crime. ACAB and the other "no police" nonsense is mostly just a thing to talk about online within the safe confides of their echo chamber.

WITH THAT SAID: that has nothing to do with the bad performance of FOP Lodge 5 and the need to purge much of the department. It's difficult for people on each extreme to rationalize the fact that there are problems on all sides.
Thank you. That's my point, Like saying that was some type of sticking it to the man statement.

Guess what im black and I want my neighborhood as safe as the suburbs sorry for bursting your black people don't call cops stigma.

I'm gonna do whatever to protect the 95% of citizens and children in the city that have nothing to do with street life from the 5% who don't care about anyone.

I don't feel bad for grown adults who choose to do wrong when there is right, I feel bad for children who have to deal with adult fuck ups that end up affecting their life.

Ask the real neighbors in District 7 how they feel about crime and the community, they will tell you they want it safe, and want the bullshit gone.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 6:49 PM

Millions of people marched peacefully in BLM protests. Analysis shows that 98% of protests happened without violence. It is truly unfortunate that a small number of people - whether privileged outsiders living the anarchist dream, professional criminals, racist saboteurs, or the fraction of terrible people lurking in every neighborhood ready to take advantage - tainted the movement with their violence and criminality.
There are videos of ordinary people in Philadelphia showing up after looting to help the stores and locals clean up. Funds were raised to help small businesses. We can't let the dark fraction of society take away our hope.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 6:59 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDadBuiltThat View Post
Millions of people marched peacefully in BLM protests. Analysis shows that 98% of protests happened without violence. It is truly unfortunate that a small number of people - whether privileged outsiders living the anarchist dream, professional criminals, racist saboteurs, or the fraction of terrible people lurking in every neighborhood ready to take advantage - tainted the movement with their violence and criminality.
There are videos of ordinary people in Philadelphia showing up after looting to help the stores and locals clean up. Funds were raised to help small businesses. We can't let the dark fraction of society take away our hope.
I don't think they are implying that the Marches were inherently bad, the main root of the marches was for justice.

The issue is some "Woke" people think Police is a bad word and that calling them is wrong?

Like dude I pay my taxes and run my businesses, and take care of my family why the hell wouldnt I call the 911 services if I need them? Why wouldnt I call my Council Person and PA Rep to let them know the issues in the community that are plaguing it?

Why would I want drug slingers in front of every store in my area? destroying the neighborhood, and causing it to shut down?

And what makes it worse is when someone else is in a beautiful safe area, and has the nerve to tell me calling the cops on someone doing wrong is wrong, while im in the worst district in the city.

That's what the issue is.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Thank you. That's my point, Like saying that was some type of sticking it to the man statement.

Guess what im black and I want my neighborhood as safe as the suburbs sorry for bursting your black people don't call cops stigma.

I'm gonna do whatever to protect the 95% of citizens and children in the city that have nothing to do with street life from the 5% who don't care about anyone.

I don't feel bad for grown adults who choose to do wrong when there is right, I feel bad for children who have to deal with adult fuck ups that end up affecting their life.

Ask the real neighbors in District 7 how they feel about crime and the community, they will tell you they want it safe, and want the bullshit gone.
Absolutely. Moving to 16th and French St., 12 years ago was an eye-opening thing for me. Not just because it was the most urban place I had ever lived, but because of my new neighbors. So many grandparents raising young children. So much pain. Nice people who just wanted to get by. It allowed me to finally see the other side laid out bare in front of me. It changed who I was as a person (also being diagnosed with lymphoma a few years later has changed my perspective on a lot of things).

I grew up in between New Hope and Doylestown. 95% white people. Everyone I knew basically had everything they ever wanted. I was so much more privileged than I had ever realized. And I know way too many of these people I grew up with that say stupid shit like "Fuck 12" and ACAB.

I met the coolest guys who grew up in North and West Philly at Temple. Guys that would give Will Smith a run for his money. A common theme was when they graduated they wanted to leave Philly for good and most of the guys I knew, did just that, and I don't blame them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDadBuiltThat View Post
Absolutely. I was there. You couldn't get close to 19th and Walnut because the buildings were still burning down. Thousands of us came out to help clean up. We went out to the parkway and listened to the speakers with tens of thousands of other people.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. I was there. You couldn't get close to 19th and Walnut because the buildings were still burning down. Thousands of us came out to help clean up. We went out to the parkway and listened to the speakers with tens of thousands of other people.
Are there any updates on these properties? I thought they were ordered to restore the facades by now. I think there was some development talks behind the scenes but it's almost 2 and a half years since the arson.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
Are there any updates on these properties? I thought they were ordered to restore the facades by now. I think there was some development talks behind the scenes but it's almost 2 and a half years since the arson.
Yeah the hole on walnut there is getting long in the tooth. I understand 6 months. I can’t excuse 2 and a half years.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 12:03 AM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
Yeah the hole on walnut there is getting long in the tooth. I understand 6 months. I can’t excuse 2 and a half years.
It will likely be another few years before we see a replacement project.

But what RitRow, the city, or whomever overlooks this stretch should do is install an 8'+ fence along the property and put up a sign that says "excuse our appearance, new development coming soon." And maybe add some colorful artwork and power wash the adjacent building facades?
The site looks awful, I know a new building takes time, but the city or area entity in chare could at least make it look like they care about the stretch.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 5:01 PM

New Renderings for 51 Units of Affordable Senior Housing at 9th & Vine

Current site:

Project renderings:

Site plan:

Quote:
We knew to expect a five-story, 51-unit project on the northwest portion of the site, but we knew little else of what was in store. Thanks to a recent zoning meeting from the Philadelphia Chinatown Development Corporation, we now have details and renderings for what we can expect here in the coming years. Pennrose, a regional affordable housing developer, has brought on WRT Design to bring the area a contemporary triangular building. This shape is necessary due to the easement on the site as a result of the Broad-Ridge Spur, which cuts diagonally underneath. A community room will be featured on the first floor of the site, which will lead out onto a small, landscaped plaza. Surface parking for 11 cars (including two spaces earmarked to a nearby project) will serve the residents. These will be income restricted units designated specifically for older residents, forming a big benefit to the nearby Chinatown community to which it will cater.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...ng-at-9th-vine

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 5:03 PM

Demo and 21 Units Coming for Buildings Next to NoLibs Federal Donuts

Current site:

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...federal-donuts

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 5:04 PM

Massive 6th & Fairmount project update from Naked Philly

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...federal-donuts

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 5:06 PM

Venice Island Project Brings 213 Units Along the Canal in Manayunk

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...al-in-manayunk

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 5:31 PM

NOVEMBER CDR Submissions:

1713-21 N. Front Street
-We've seen this one already
-Located in Fishtown
-6 floors in total
-55 residential units with ground floor retail/commercial
PDF:
https://www.phila.gov/media/20221018...1-2022-CDR.pdf

2314 N. American Street
-Located on the border of Norris Square and West Kensington
-4 floors in total
-101,312 sq ft self storage unit building
PDF:

4436R Main Street (Venice Island Development)
-We've seen this one already too
-Located in Manayunk
-3 buildings in total. Two buildings 5-stories in total on Venice Island with 213 residential units split between them. A new 2-story building fronting Main Street with ground floor retail and amenty space above for the residential buildings
PDF:

4501 Woodhaven Road
-Located in the Parkwood section of Northeast Philly near the Philadelphia Mills Mall
-4 floors in total
-84,703 sq ft hotel (I don't see total # of rooms listed)
PDF:

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 5:35 PM

74-Unit Building to Replace South Kensington Parking Lot

This is actually located at the crossroads of Olde Kensington, Norris Square, Ludlow and Hartranft. Pretty cool to see development out of Fishtown/NoLibs/Olde Kenzo starting to connect with development pushing out of Temple Area.

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/74-unit...n-parking-lot/

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 5:37 PM

Renderings Revealed For 1713-21 North Front Street In Fishtown

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2022/10/rend...-fishtown.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development