HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Feb 23, 2023, 2:25 PM

I see the logic moving the theater facade and the lowrise commercial corner. These will form prominent, activated space by the square vs a soulless lobby. But I agree that soaring wall will remain an annoying feature forever. That would be an opportunity for a tall and narrow residential tower with windows at street facade and party above the venue next door. Wish the Cadillac sq building was still standing

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 6:14 AM

Cadillac Tower's blank wall was never covered in the original plans, and I don't think it really needs to be. If the main tower is still somewhat large, then you won't see the wall unless you're in Cadillac Square or on top of the OCM garage. They could always cover it with a mural too.

The increased parking capacity is disappointing, but until Detroit gets serious about rapid transit to downtown, that's just the way it's going to be. Developers will be forced to include a large amount of parking, as there is no real alternative for anyone not along a FAST route. Maybe the Democratic legislature will do something on transit..

Last thought, but if they do decide to add some above-ground parking (seems likely with that many spaces), then it should at least be tucked back onto Bates, and hopefully be covered with residential or something on top.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 3:53 PM
Doc Love 3.0

I’m of mixed mind when I heard the news, after such a long time and the downsizing of Hudsons I had made my peace with not getting the original design. Im thrilled the project is moving forward & a bit heartbroken that the original project has been modified it was an incredible design world class. The new design is quality and worthy of renown it look my favorite aspect of the previous design that was understated the 60’s modernist aesthetic and went for broke at the base of the tower. It’s an excellent design for the city an homage to the time when cutting edge architecture was designed and built in Detroit. The salvaging of the National Theater facade (though moving it) is another aspect that deserves applause & was a centerpiece of my love for the previous iteration.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2023, 5:56 PM

What are those ghost buildings in the background? Have the released drawings of what they will look like? I guess they will be changed anyway in the 5 years the second phase is supposed to start.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2023, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1526 View Post
What are those ghost buildings in the background? Have the released drawings of what they will look like? I guess they will be changed anyway in the 5 years the second phase is supposed to start.
It's not a ghost building. You're seeing the glass façade of the tower with the reflections of the Penobscot and First National buildings. I do agree, they could have made it a bit less reflective in the rendering.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2023, 11:37 AM

Can anyone make a guess of the new height of the tower given the reduction in square space etc?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2023, 6:02 PM
somewhere in-between

The new rendering looks intentionally vague to me. I wouldn't read too much into any of the visuals, one way or another. The fact that the tower portion is cropped out so you can't understand the full height, the fact that the tower is rendered more faintly than the buildings it reflects, and the chaotic materiality and massing at the low-rise portion are all context clues (to me) that they still really have no idea the ultimate form this will take. September 2024 is still the better part of 2 years away. Not holding my breath for this...

Old Posted Feb 26, 2023, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocky858 View Post
Can anyone make a guess of the new height of the tower given the reduction in square space etc?
It could be the same height or slightly taller if the overall footprint is smaller. The old design for the office space was a little bit wider than it was tall so the tower was actually shorter than it could have been.

If the new rendering is anything to go by, the tower looks almost skinny though that's probably just the viewing angle if it's going to front Monroe Street. If the footprint is still the same, then the tower will probably be shorter by a good margin.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2023, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
The new rendering looks intentionally vague to me. I wouldn't read too much into any of the visuals, one way or another. The fact that the tower portion is cropped out so you can't understand the full height, the fact that the tower is rendered more faintly than the buildings it reflects, and the chaotic materiality and massing at the low-rise portion are all context clues (to me) that they still really have no idea the ultimate form this will take. September 2024 is still the better part of 2 years away. Not holding my breath for this...
I suspect they waiting to see how the demand for the Hudson site goes and ecomonic situation in general before they finalize the plans for the Cadillac site.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 1:22 PM

Quote:
443' to the crown for office

246' to the crown for the residential

54' for MH/NT

8 levels of parking for office, 7 levels for residential. Retail on ground floor for each.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 1:35 PM

Quote:
In the below YouTube video that was uploaded two days ago, looks like that there is activity happening regarding the demolition of the buildings on the block.

What is curious though, is that the construction workers say that the National Theater is going to be torn apart and moved? I believe someone mentioned before that the arch was going to be moved over the street, so I assume that is what they mean, but decided to post this here anyway. The conversation happens at 20:45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnFG...eterSantenello
The face of the national theater is being catalogued, removed, stored, repaired, then put back. Everything else is being demoed this year.

Old Posted May 22, 2023, 10:06 PM

https://scontent-ord5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...kQ&oe=64702B1E

Got some Cadillac Square n there?

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Wow they finally updated the model! When I worked there it always seemed like such an afterthought

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJ View Post
Wow they finally updated the model! When I worked there it always seemed like such an afterthought
Is that Cadillac square or Monroe Blocks in the model?

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Is that Cadillac square or Monroe Blocks in the model?
The Monroe Blocks project has been renamed “The Development at Cadillac Square”.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 3:46 PM

I’d like to see the National Theatre moved to the corner of Woodward and Cadillac Square and use it as a line connector station for Q Line heading north, C Line heading down Michigan Ave and H Line running over and looping at Huntington Place.

The only way to make people stop thinking of it as a joke is to expand and make it useful.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 1:13 PM

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...article1-image

Possibly getting ready to start something?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 4:18 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ hmm, well if that gets going it looks like gilbert’s cleveland tower city development plans may have to wait. he’s paying for cuyahoga river bulkhead shoring up around the sites at the moment.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 6:47 PM

^ The promotional page mentions that the Monroe Midway is returning for its final season.

https://developmentcadillacsquare.com/#about

I really hope they are able to move the Midway down to a location on the riverfront. (Bates and Atwater)?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 7:36 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ hmm, well if that gets going it looks like gilbert’s cleveland tower city development plans may have to wait. he’s paying for cuyahoga river bulkhead shoring up around the sites at the moment.
He can afford both simultaneously (right?)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals