HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 10:40 PM

Arrow Austin | Embassy Suites & Tempo by Hilton | 368 Feet | 30 Floors | Proposed

We now have three Warehouse District (or District Adjacent) sites up for Demo on next week's HLC agenda.

1. 301 W 6th (Iron Bear)

2. 200 Block of Colorado for the Hanover Tower.

3. And now 209 and 213 W 5th - site of Smash

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 7:27 PM

Towers has the goods on the project that wants to replace Smash. It's a combined Embassy Suites/Motto (both Hilton brands), 28 stories, and a couple of significant retail/restaurant tenants on floors one and two. Enjoy the big pics!

https://austin.towers.net/fifth-and-...istoric-review

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 8:22 PM

That fountain is an eyesore that will be dry most of the year. Hopefully it is merely conceptual.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 9:48 PM

Other than the silly fountain, the first few floors of this tower are pretty great with what looks like two floors of retail space and a pretty distinct overhang. Beyond that, it's nothing special.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 11:11 PM

Silvery

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 4:36 AM

I wonder if this signals they're going to sell the Embassy Suites on South Congress.
Would probably go for a pretty penny: has no historical significance, is across the street from the proposed underground station for the Orange line at Auditorium Shores and is already pretty tall.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 1:13 AM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
I wonder if this signals they're going to sell the Embassy Suites on South Congress.
Would probably go for a pretty penny: has no historical significance, is across the street from the proposed underground station for the Orange line at Auditorium Shores and is already pretty tall.
I suspect once the Statesman site goes and the rail station nears opening everything on that side of the river that is more than a decade old is up for demolition.

Once Rainey is built out developers are going to start looking for another near downtown residential district and south shore is prime for just that. Its historically been a pretty terrible part of town with few redeeming qualities outside of Threadgills and I sort of like the beach volleyball spot.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 8:00 PM

Design Intake filed today. It says 29-stories.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...pertyrsn=91736

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 10:55 PM
クラブトクヨ

Why does the fountain at Samsung get to run full blast all through summer, but others can’t? Am I missing something?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 12:18 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Fountains can be a really useful tool to help keep urban centers cooler around them, it's why you see a lot of fountains in Rome, other Italian or Mediterranean cities. Honestly they should be considered especially as our urban centers heat up. Yes there is the issue of evaporation, but if they are designed in a way that can use condensation maybe from the cooling systems from surrounding buildings, or collect large amounts of rainwater which can be stored below ground during wet periods, then they can be beneficial. They should also be placed in protected locations which would help reduce the amount of evaporation. Not saying there have to be a lot of them but having a large fountain in the right place in coordination with shaded corridors, heat reflecting asphalt and other measures are more of a benefit than hindrance.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2022, 3:59 AM
Meh

I hope that design is way preliminary. Pretty soon the "people in glass houses" phrase will apply to everyone. I'm actually less bothered by that, but man, these boxes are turning into a snoozefest. This thing reminds me of the tallest building in Midland:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bank...h=709&biw=1600

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 4:27 PM

28-Story Downtown Austin Hotel Tower Plan Moves Forward at Fifth and Lavaca

https://austin.towers.net/28-story-d...th-and-lavaca/

The dual-branded Embassy Suites and Motto by Hilton hotel tower planned by local hospitality firm Merritt Development Group for a 0.27-acre assembly at the southeast corner of West Fifth and Lavaca Streets in downtown Austin is showing some notable signs of progress this week, with the first development-related filing for the 28-story building now in review with the city.

While a specific date for construction isn’t yet specified for the project, its continuing progression through the city’s development process and clearance of pre-demolition historical review implies that major changes to the corner will arrive sooner or later — so if you’d like to appreciate the life of these century-old structures, there’s still plenty of time left for a few games of ping pong.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 5:40 PM

Interesting. Wonder which steakhouse we're talking about.

Quote:
According to current permit data, the project is a 454-key hotel, with 268 rooms under the Embassy Suites brand and 186 under Hilton’s recently-founded Motto “micro-hotel” flag. A summary by the developer earlier this year indicated the tower would contain 7,700 square feet of meeting space and approximately 15,000 square feet of retail, including a “prominent national steakhouse” brand occupying 11,000 square feet between the first and second levels of the lobby area, with another unknown retail business occupying the remaining 4,000 square feet of ground-level space.
Also interesting that it's following the Thompson/tommie setup -- major brand combined with millenial/gen z friendly mini-brand under one roof. In this case, guests will either choose suites or reduced-square-footage hostel-style rooms.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 7:26 PM
Resident Moron

So are we getting a Palm or a Capital Grill to add to our other overpriced national chain "expense account" steakplaces?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 11:29 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
So are we getting a Palm or a Capital Grill to add to our other overpriced national chain "expense account" steakplaces?
Places that I will never go to. Stick to local eateries to show what being in Austin is all about.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2022, 11:58 PM

Quote:
I think we already have Capital Grill in the old Spaghetti Warehouse space.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 12:49 AM

There are a lot of steakhouses Downtown.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 2:44 PM
Resident Moron

These national chain steakplaces 100% survive on expense accounts. Its almost always out of towners taking other out of towners to somewhere "fancy".

I used to be in sales and business development and its amazing when a potential client comes to town how often they want to go to Ruth's Chris.

Sucks because obviously there are better local spots for often less money and yet.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 3:25 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
These national chain steakplaces 100% survive on expense accounts. Its almost always out of towners taking other out of towners to somewhere "fancy".

I used to be in sales and business development and its amazing when a potential client comes to town how often they want to go to Ruth's Chris.

Sucks because obviously there are better local spots for often less money and yet.
Gotta have the right clients. I always appreciate it when people specifically ask for something local. I've had someone say to me, "I want outstanding BBQ. I hear Franklin's is great, but I don't want to go there because I've heard of it. Where do the locals go?"

Old Posted Jul 21, 2022, 3:39 PM

I call that The Expense Account Archipelago -- a collection of restaurant/attraction brands that show up in major business travel destinations, either in the CBD or in the commercial astroid belts surrounding major office parks. Ruth's Chris is a prime offender, but so is Capital Grill, etc.

While I think the demand for such places remains pretty strong (or is recovering bigly after the pandemic), Ruth's and Capital are clearly ancient brands for older generations. The Millenials and Z's need different expense account attractions. Hence: Punch Bowl Social, etc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin