HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 10, 2021, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
Lots of movement going on at this lot today! Another crane going up here pretty soon!!
Keep us posted! Would love some pics for when this finally kicks up.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 3:18 AM

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 2:15 PM

I don't see a crane. Or am I missing something?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2021, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkill34 View Post
I don't see a crane. Or am I missing something?
They're clearing out the area. But should see something soon.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 6:01 PM

Looks like this one is back on the HDRC agenda this week. The paperwork calls it the Arista not Artista. (LEGAL DESCRIPTION: NCB 403 (ARISTA HOTEL), BLOCK 14 LOT 14)

However, when you get to the slide show portion, it calls it Artista. Not sure if that is a bad sign that they misspelled their own project. Sadly too, looking at the renderings, it looks like all of the flare on this project has been removed. It still looks like a nice project, but overall it now looks unremarkable.

https://sanantonio.primegov.com/Port...mplateId=40953

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 7:59 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG1974 View Post
Looks like this one is back on the HDRC agenda this week. The paperwork calls it the Arista not Artista. (LEGAL DESCRIPTION: NCB 403 (ARISTA HOTEL), BLOCK 14 LOT 14)

However, when you get to the slide show portion, it calls it Artista. Not sure if that is a bad sign that they misspelled their own project. Sadly too, looking at the renderings, it looks like all of the flare on this project has been removed. It still looks like a nice project, but overall it now looks unremarkable.

https://sanantonio.primegov.com/Port...mplateId=40953
Agreed. It looks like it will be a nice little hotel for its guests, but nothing architecturally to write home about.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 9:09 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Nothing special architecturally, but not many new buildings in this city get built without a driveway and on site parking! So +100 for that.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Nothing special architecturally, but not many new buildings in this city get built without a driveway and on site parking! So +100 for that.
Or any building in the sunbelt.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2022, 1:28 AM

I guess it's better than a surface lot, but I wish some of these prime plots of land downtown would be used for something taller/better. Downtown SA is gonna start looking like DC with all these -200 footers lol.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 3:26 PM

From Business Journal:

A downtown hotel project five years in the making is going back before the Historic Design and Review Commission for a fifth time on Nov. 16 after undergoing a series of design changes. While the eight-story project at 151 East Travis Street still intends to deliver 112 rooms and 2,500 square feet of meeting and event space, a number of its exterior elements have changed.

The Artista hotel project, helmed by developer Harris Bay and architectural firm Creo, has been recommended for approval by city staff, albeit with a number of stipulations attached.

Those include incorporating any removed river wall stone into the build, using more brick and making sure outdoor furniture and utility items don't impede pedestrian right-of-ways on the street side or River Walk side. Design elements struck from the project include a cantilever that was intended to hang over the river and a vertical sign with the Artista name, among other adjustments project architects have agreed to.
(Why were these items removed. I am usually a supporter of HDRC recommendations, but I am not sure about these. Over the years, this project has gone from fresh and interesting, to plain and simple.)

The prolonged approval process is an example of the hurdles attached to development projects downtown, where city officials demand design cohesion and assurances that the River Walk remains accessible.

In an interview a few weeks prior to the HDRC vote, Harris Bay managing partner Jake Harris told the Business Journal that some of the changed designs aligned with the firms "value engineering" of the project due to the overall rise in the cost of construction materials over the past year. Some design aspects, like the Juliet balconies and materials used for the facades, have been cut to stay on budget.

"Some of the materiality — going from brick to a plaster kind of finish — those are some of the other things that we've layered into it," he said. "Which is accustomed to some of the other buildings in downtown, so it's just more cost effective. I wanted to do all brick facades, but my budget and the construction costs have prevented that."

Harris declined to disclose any figures on the construction cost. He added that economic factors have done more to weigh down the project than anything required by the HDRC.

"I think there's nothing from the city's or HDRC's standpoint that has necessarily constrained the project," he said. "I just wish interest rates weren't up as much as they are. I wish that construction costs, materials costs and inflation were not on a runaway train."

When final approvals are in place and a contractor is hired, Harris said that groundbreaking for the project is "optimistically" lined up for the first quarter of 2023. Hotel rooms could be ready 18 to 24 months after that. Harris Bay purchased the land in 2019 for about $2.1 million. The Bexar County Appraisal District's 2022 valuation of the site is about $2.2 million.

(Again they are talking 1st qtr of the next year to start. That is what they said last year about starting this year, not going to hold my breath. At least they keep coming back.)

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 4:05 PM

I liked the white facade better. I thought it flowed much better.

Was this hotel also going to be in connection with the upgrades made next door?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 4:21 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Agreed. It looks like it will be a nice little hotel for its guests, but nothing architecturally to write home about.
I'm going to disagree with myself a bit.

This kinda looks like something you'd see in Amsterdam. That makes sense as European cities have great transit systems and don't rely on cars, thus their hotels (especially smaller ones like this) don't include garages.

Anyway, if it were bigger and had an impact on the skyline I would ask more of it. But this is a small building, and it has a design that may not be astounding, but it's different that what surrounds it (at least as it looks in the rendering). I welcome it to San Antonio.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2022, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I'm going to disagree with myself a bit.

This kinda looks like something you'd see in Amsterdam. That makes sense as European cities have great transit systems and don't rely on cars, thus their hotels (especially smaller ones like this) don't include garages.

Anyway, if it were bigger and had an impact on the skyline I would ask more of it. But this is a small building, and it has a design that may not be astounding, but it's different that what surrounds it (at least as it looks in the rendering). I welcome it to San Antonio.
Don't get me wrong, I welcome this project to San Antonio. I think the city needs to create some critical mass downtown before it will really grow. My disappointment is that I really liked the previous renderings. I feel like it was a little bait and switch.

It reminds me of what happened with the Museum Reach Lofts. The renderings showed color and variety. In the end it ended up being really plain. I don't mind small, but I would really love some more elements that catch the eye.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 3:27 PM

I might be in the minority here, but I really like the new design.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 7:06 PM

Downtown Artista Hotel boutique project to begin construction in July

By James McCandless
Reporter, San Antonio Business Journal

Apr 12, 2023

Developer Harris Bay is planning to start construction on the downtown Artista Hotel boutique project in July, according to a state filing. When finished, the eight-story, 71,000-square-foot River Walk-adjacent building will offer 121 rooms at 151 East Travis St.

The project has been in some form of development since 2019, when the firm purchased the land for about $2.1 million. The Bexar County Appraisal District's 2023 assessed value of the property is about $3.7 million.

Along with the eight stories, another level is planned to sit along the River Walk. When the project received its certificate of appropriateness from the Historic and Design Review Commission (HDRC) this past November, most of the proposed hotel's design choices and materials were approved. But when city staff realized that the river-level section of the project would alter public property and that there hadn't been proper coordination with the Center City Development and Operations department to resolve the issue.

In the November HDRC hearing, Kris Feldmann, a CREO design principal whose firm is heading the building's design, said that any portions of the River Walk's stone wall lining that is altered as part of construction would be incorporated into the project. The development team will have to return to HDRC at some point to receive further approval for that section of the hotel's design.

Speaking to the Business Journal in November, Jake Harris, the managing partner at Harris Bay, said that the hotel is drawing inspiration from boutique hotels in Austin and Mexico to differentiate it from the average hotel experience. He said that the team is leaning heavily on visuals to create a space that tourists will want to make part of their experience as opposed to just thinking about the hotel as a place to sleep.

"With that Artista name, we've been curating art — custom art from unique makers," he said. "We've gone on trips to Mexico and Peru and other places to feature artists that are making this stuff by hand. This is not a cookie cutter thing. When I say [the hotel is] different, what we're thinking is, 'How do we show that difference and highlight San Antonio's roots in Spanish colonial empire from 300 years ago?'"

Construction is scheduled to be completed by the beginning of 2025. Harris did not respond to a recent request for comment by publication time.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 11:33 PM

Supposed to start in July...four months later?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2023, 4:04 PM

I didn't think this had any legs to it anyways.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio