HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 15, 2013, 7:34 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Agreed Payton. Though I couldn't hope for something as grandiose as Frankfurts HSR Station/Hilton/Squaire I was hoping ideally something much more scaled down and modest using a similar format.

Making train travelers traverse a dark ugly parking garage in order to transfer just seems ridiculous. There is no reason the ATS shouldn't end up just alongside or over the Metra Tracks with a quick escalator platform to get from one to the other.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2013, 8:48 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by paytonc View Post
Not sure what sort of TOD would end up there, besides airport hotels. It's not "transit oriented" enough to entice office tenants, given the poor transit service and complete lack of walking-distance amenities.
Did you not notice the office towers in the rendering background? There's a fairly strong market for offices around O'Hare; this site is even more attractive because of the quick, free linkage to airport terminals.

Calling it TOD is probably an overstatement; you're right that there's no transit service here that is of use to substantial numbers of commuters. Any office workers at this site would likely drive. That doesn't mean it can't attract office tenants.

In the longer run, CN is supposed to shift more of its trains to the EJ&E around Chicago, clearing the way for an airport express or at least increased NCS service. Nobody's really looking to do an airport express anymore but I'm sure that there is a fiscally responsible way to create one whenever the political will returns.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Making train travelers traverse a dark ugly parking garage in order to transfer just seems ridiculous. There is no reason the ATS shouldn't end up just alongside or over the Metra Tracks with a quick escalator platform to get from one to the other.
IIRC, the connection through the garage will be a pedestrian only corridor, fairly spacious, that will act as a pathway for all users (ATS, Rental, Private, METRA). Seems like it could be a lively space with so much foot traffic.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
I think the picture is look much better, but not more than 1200 x 800. You have to be reduce the picture size is 800 x 600 pixels. Please don't make a big pictures again.
Lol You're welcome.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 2:02 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
IIRC, the connection through the garage will be a pedestrian only corridor, fairly spacious, that will act as a pathway for all users (ATS, Rental, Private, METRA). Seems like it could be a lively space with so much foot traffic.
Maybe the inside will be OK but an atrium wrapped around parking darks doesn't leave much room to create pleasant aesthetic design that such an intermodal station deserves........

I also see future building use more oriented towards a hotel. I just think that is a much better use where you could have more terminal to front lobby hotels other then the Hilton O'Hare. During the winter it something that I think some travelers who are stuck on layovers or canceled flights will appreciate.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
Lol You're welcome.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Did you not notice the office towers in the rendering background? There's a fairly strong market for offices around O'Hare; this site is even more attractive because of the quick, free linkage to airport terminals.
Actually, not to once again be complaining about b.s. in architect renders, but most of the render's "office towers" do not exist - it's mostly small residential structures (though there are also several office buildings), and the person who made the render took liberties... Anyway your main point about office TOD is of course very true.
Quote:
I also see future building use more oriented towards a hotel. I just think that is a much better use where you could have more terminal to front lobby hotels other then the Hilton O'Hare. During the winter it something that I think some travelers who are stuck on layovers or canceled flights will appreciate.
This is huge because for the first time in a half century there would be a new hotel accessible from the terminals that does not require using a taxi or shuttle bus. And, also for the first time, the City of Chicago would enjoy the hotel taxes, since I believe this area is not on the Rosemont side of the line. However, the O'Hare Hilton has always had some kind of exclusive right to lodging facilities at O'Hare - does anyone know whether this right applies to just the terminal areas, or to some slightly broader area?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 12:36 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Actually, not to once again be complaining about b.s. in architect renders, but most of the render's "office towers" do not exist - it's mostly small residential structures (though there are also several office buildings), and the person who made the render took liberties... Anyway your main point about office TOD is of course very true.
Yes and no. The office towers in the left half of the background are very real (Rosemont's O'Hare International Center and Des Plaines' 1700 Higgins Centre).

The right half of the background is a residential neighborhood with a mix of multi-family and single-family. The heights are exaggerated probably because the renderer was sloppy or he cribbed inaccurate buildings from Google Earth.

I wonder to what extent this area will grow with airport/airline workers? Having a direct and free connection to the airport within walking distance of apartments is pretty attractive. Cumberland filled up with multi-family for the same reason. At any rate, it's a good reason to start planning some kind of TOD with moderate density. Heights will be limited on some sites because of the 9C-27C RPZ.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2013, 10:23 PM

Add another 747 8F cargo operator at ORD, Air Bridge Cargo. I see no reason LH would have problems at ORD other than with the jetbridges being used. When they brought the A380 in on a demo flight it went straight in off 4L into T5 with no problem. The cargo 747 8F is also longer than an A380.

You can add the new Etihad 747 8 freighter to the list of 747 8 operations at ORD. It started coming in last month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
Right now O'hare has 747 8 flights operating for the following air cargo operators:

Atlas Air
British Aircargo
Cathay Pacific
Cargolux
Nippon Cargo Airlines
Korean Air Cargo

They do have taxiway restrictions but are still coming in daily. I think the international passenger operators prefer frequency at ORD with several flights a day rather than one A380 or 747 8.

Last edited by F1 Tommy; Sep 10, 2013 at 11:35 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
You can add the new Etihad 747 8 freighter to the list of 747 8 operations at ORD. It started coming in last month.
Yes, I still hear a rumors lately. Emirates is considering ORD service sometime in the future. I think it will operated 77W aircraft. I think they have enough the gate space available. Terminal 5 is getting more extremely overcrowded. I think they will arrived in ORD at 8am, but the immigrations & customs is not too busy during early morning.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 5:01 PM

Lufthansa is testing the 747-8i on one of their flights today to see how the airport can handle it and demonstrate it to the FAA. I believe this is the first time a passenger-full 747-8i will be flying into ORD. Two more test flights are planned for next month.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 5:14 PM

747-8 is one of my favorite planes. It looks like it just belongs in the sky. Where is the flight coming in from?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
747-8 is one of my favorite planes. It looks like it just belongs in the sky. Where is the flight coming in from?
I totally agree.

It's coming from Frankfurt.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 11:27 PM

How was it? Any photos?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 11:41 PM

I caught the landing it was really cool seeing the 747-8i come in. Hopefully we start seeing it more soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWYebUijFJw

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 1:48 AM

Nice! Couldn't have been a better day for it.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohey16 View Post
I caught the landing it was really cool seeing the 747-8i come in. Hopefully we start seeing it more soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWYebUijFJw
Beautiful aircraft! I love when people like you come out of the woodwork and contribute something concise and interesting like this! Thanks!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 8:08 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,2913545.story

O'Hare gains on Atlanta airport in 'world's busiest' race
Tribune exclusive

Jon Hilkevitch Tribune reporter
2:35 p.m. CDT, July 16, 2013

An increase in flights this year has helped O’Hare International Airport narrow the gap with arch-rival Atlanta for the title “world’s busiest airport,’’ and air-traffic controllers in Chicago predict O’Hare will soon retake the top spot with help from a new runway opening this fall.
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport wrestled the top honor away from O’Hare in 2005 and has retained it ever since, according to the official flight count by the Federal Aviation Administration.........

In the first six months of 2013, Atlanta handled 453,800 takeoffs and landings, while O’Hare accommodated 426,800 flights, a preliminary FAA tally shows.

Atlanta has also topped O'Hare in the number of passengers served annually in recent years. A preliminary passenger count for the first half of 2013 is not yet available.

Despite the 27,000-flight cushion for Atlanta so far this year, an increasing volume of flights at O’Hare over the last two months is trending to make it a horse race.

In May and June, Atlanta had a total of 157,000 flights to O’Hare’s 154,200, for a difference of only 2,800 flights over the two months.

For the full 2012, a total of 930,098 flights operated at Atlanta, versus 878,108 at O’Hare, FAA statistics show...........

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 9:25 PM

Quote:

What'e even more important is O'hare is gaining on the international and cargo traffic with other North American cities. I will predict ORD will move up a spot in US Cargo rankings within the next 2 years. If you compare ORD to ATL, the amount of international carriers at ORD is alot higher. I think ATL has around 10 carriers compaired to ORD with over 30. Also alot more people flying to ORD stay in Chicago. ATL has a much higher connection percent wich makes sense as Atlanta metro is around half the size of Chicagoland. The Delta operations is amazing at ATL, something other airlines should and will try to copy.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2013, 9:52 PM

Bring the title back! My current company moved here due to the flight availability to remote locations and international connections. This is the same reason why Coeur Mining moved here earlier this year. O'Hare is Rahm's strongest asset to pull more international companies to Chicago for North American HQs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation