HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 4:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Milwaukee benefits from being close to Chicago. Its two standout features from those pics are clearly Chicago-inspired: having an urban canal-ized river run through downtown and having a wall of luxury highrises extend north along the lake.
chicago and milwaukee both germinated from the same exact type of seed. their DNA is more or less the same.

but chicago got copious amounts of railroad fertilizer and grew to be the tallest, mightiest tree in the forest, while nearby milwaukee ended up more average in stature.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 4:41 PM

I've never been to Milwaukee, so I can't comment on the city itself, but I always found its skyline to be lackluster. It doesn't really have a density of skyscrapers in the core, and a lot of its older buildings are pretty short. I do find the north side row of lakeshore towers pretty impressive, but again not from a skyline perspective.

As far as the Midwest's Portland...I'd say it's Minneapolis/Twin Cities. I feel like that area has more of Portland's 'weird, white, liberal, outdoorsy' type of vibe than any other midwestern city. Most of the major midwest cities are too rusty and too black-influenced to feel comparable to Portland.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 4:59 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I've never been to Milwaukee, so I can't comment on the city itself, but I always found its skyline to be lackluster. It doesn't really have a density of skyscrapers in the core, and a lot of its older buildings are pretty short. I do find the north side row of lakeshore towers pretty impressive, but again not from a skyline perspective.
we'll have to agree to disagree.

i think milwaukee has a fairly expansive and impressive skyline for a smaller midwest metro of only 1.5M people (as demonstrated by the pics i posted on the previous page).

and it's still very much a work in progress, with a new 500-footer soon on the way (something that doesn't happen very often in midwest cities not named chicago)!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 5:10 PM
BANNED

Charlotte hands down. It has a few buildings over 600 feet but most are well under that height.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 5:14 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ with 4 skyscrapers over 600', and its tallest building at nearly 900', i would say that charlotte's skyline doesn't really fit the spirit of this thread.

i mean, if were letting skylines the height of charlotte's in, then we're going to have to open the competition up to a whole new class of skylines like denver, minneapolis, pittsburgh, cleveland, detroit, etc.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 28, 2021 at 5:32 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 6:20 PM
E pluribus unum

Milwaukee's skyline - Meh

Milwaukee the city: Muy bueno

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions